Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2014, 06:17 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We had a gas oven in the last MH and GE profile convection/micro in this one. Do not miss the gas. If you boondock a lot gas might be a better option.

Convection cooking does have a learning curve. We still after five years don't use it up to it's capacity. The GE has a "speed cook" setting that seems to combine microwave and convection. The few times we have used it, it worked great.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2014, 06:33 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I prefer a gas cooktop and an electric oven at home. In the motorhome we have a microwave/convection oven. I routinely make artisan breads in the convection and they turn out great. I just have to remember to rotate the loaf halfway through the cycle. I also use a pizza stone but only heat it to cooking temp (450-500) before placing the pizza on the stone (using a wood pizza peal). It takes about 15 minutes to preheat the stone.

As for convenction drying things out, we use a roasting rack over a cookie sheet with sides and put a tied up seasoned chicken on the rack. The convention sears the skin and keeps most all the juices inside. Very similar to a broasted chicken that you buy at the supermarket.

patmsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:23 AM   #17

If you frequently need to bake larger things like turkey's and large hams a nesco electric portable oven does a good job we have one with the convection fan that browns meats and can even bake cakes, it fits in a basement compartment with our bread machine inside of it. We use it outside to keep the heat out, however we have only used it a couple of times in two years of full time rving.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:46 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
With all the baking, roasting and general cooking in the convection microwave oven that we have I have never had anything be any dryer than in an electric or gas oven. We have a GE Profile and it's fairly large. I could do a whole chicken with no problems and even a small turkey if I wanted to. Thou Thom and I would rather smoke the turkeys and chickens so we just don't do those in there.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:01 PM   #19

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
With all the baking, roasting and general cooking in the convection microwave oven that we have I have never had anything be any dryer than in an electric or gas oven. We have a GE Profile and it's fairly large. I could do a whole chicken with no problems and even a small turkey if I wanted to. Thou Thom and I would rather smoke the turkeys and chickens so we just don't do those in there.
Two years ago we roasted a 16 lb turducken in our Profile. It was great!
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:59 PM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Here are a couple of reasons to be careful with the propane oven. The lady had severe burns and the husband was hurt when the roof fell on him. Notice there are no burn marks on the coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Moho.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	70041   Click image for larger version

Name:	Moho1.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	70042  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Moho4.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	70043   Click image for larger version

Name:	Moho6.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	70044  

Old 08-06-2014, 07:07 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
guess a picture is worth a thousand words

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Here are a couple of reasons to be careful with the propane oven. The lady had severe burns and the husband was hurt when the roof fell on him. Notice there are no burn marks on the coach.
OMG... guess a picture is worth a thousand words.... so sorry to see what happened to the RVers and their RV...
After reading the rest of the comments, we have decided that we will not be needing a gas oven after all.
The microwave/convection will do what we need to be done.
Thanks to everyone!!!!
Old 08-06-2014, 08:49 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OMG!! How recent was this ITASCA melt down?
No signs of any carbon....flames??? Did LP buildup then explode?
Old 08-06-2014, 11:52 PM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skino47 View Post
OMG!! How recent was this ITASCA melt down?
No signs of any carbon....flames??? Did LP buildup then explode?
This happened in a parking lot in Salt Lake City a number of years ago. The lady was lighting the stove and apparently it didn't light the first time. On the next try..........
Old 08-07-2014, 04:32 AM   #24

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmsp View Post
I prefer a gas cooktop and an electric oven at home. In the motorhome we have a microwave/convection oven. I routinely make artisan breads in the convection and they turn out great. I just have to remember to rotate the loaf halfway through the cycle. I also use a pizza stone but only heat it to cooking temp (450-500) before placing the pizza on the stone (using a wood pizza peal). It takes about 15 minutes to preheat the stone.

As for convenction drying things out, we use a roasting rack over a cookie sheet with sides and put a tied up seasoned chicken on the rack. The convention sears the skin and keeps most all the juices inside. Very similar to a broasted chicken that you buy at the supermarket.
This is exactly what I needed to know. Silly, I know, but would have hated to give up our pizza and roasted items. I just measured our microwave/convect oven, it is 14". Our current pizza stone that we use in our oven is too big, but I looked on Amazon and I can get a smaller stone for the RV microwave in whatever size I need. I am set! Thanks so much!!!
Old 08-07-2014, 04:37 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
Two years ago we roasted a 16 lb turducken in our Profile. It was great!
16 lb turducken ? That sounds like an amazing meal!! Told my husband about it and he is already waiting at the table!
Old 08-07-2014, 08:19 AM   #26

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcquinn View Post
16 lb turducken ? That sounds like an amazing meal!! Told my husband about it and he is already waiting at the table!
It was amazing! We were spending Thanksgiving in the Cajun part of Louisiana and made the turducken to share with folks at the campground. I get hungry just thinking about it!
Old 08-07-2014, 09:45 AM   #27

Hello sorry to bother you.. Im currently looking at 2015 anthem vs. newmar dutchstar.. Wonder if we might pick your brain as an entegra owner?
Old 08-07-2014, 10:39 AM   #28

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRDefector View Post
Hello sorry to bother you.. Im currently looking at 2015 anthem vs. newmar dutchstar.. Wonder if we might pick your brain as an entegra owner?

I think maybe you posted this on the wrong thread.

Tags
gas