Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2014, 03:45 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Gas oven vs microwave-convection oven vs table-top

I love to bake! We are going to be full-timers and will be buying our Tiffin Phaeton 40qbh as soon as our house sells.
Big issue: What do we use for baking in the RV: add the built-in gas oven below the range or use the microwave-convection oven above the range or purchase a table-top oven.
What oven works best for homemade pizza, 10" deep dish pies, 2-layer cakes, cookies, roasts, turkey, etc.
We currently have a microwave-convection oven in our house and have never used it as an "oven" because we have a large oven in our stove.
But...when I look at that little gas oven that you can add to your unit, it looks pretty small.
Don't know if it is big enough that you can put a 10-pizza stone in it or a full-size cookie sheet, pie pans, two cake pans, roast, turkey, etc.
What does everybody else do? Help??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2014, 05:28 PM   #2

We have fulltimed with both a propane oven and convection oven. The RV propane oven is notorious for not regulating temps well. The microwave convection is far superior for our needs. If you do a lot of boondocking, then some other factors come into play.

gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:35 PM   #3

We use our convection oven all the time and it works great. We have the gas oven that we use to store bread.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:40 PM   #4

Official iRV2 Sponsor

We replaced our OEM Sharp with a GE Profile microwave/convection unit. It has far better temperature control and it has metal racks that fit into permanently mounted hooks on the walls so it can be used as a real oven with multiple dishes. It also has a stainless steel interior for easy cleanup.
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:59 PM   #5

The dish washer is far more useful than the propane oven, just my opinion of course. We don't do a lot of baking but for what we do,the convection works great. Takes a little adjusting of the time as the convection cooks faster. I think once you get used to it you'll find it does just as good if not better than the propane oven plus it doesn't heat the coach up. It is vented to the outside.
Going with the convection also gives you the option of going all electric for the coach. Residential fridge, AquaHot heating and hot water, induction cook top, and heated floors if you want (awesome).
I've seen lots of posts where people have taken the oven out and replaced it with storage or something. I haven't seen any where they have taken that out to add the oven.
BTW, not sure how big a turkey you could fit in the convection, maybe a really small one. Might be just one of those compromises we all have to make when we go full time.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:08 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I had a TT with propane oven...never used it. Have a micro/conv now...never use it. But, boy oh boy, do I want to be parked near you when you use yours! PIES!!!!!
TinCanTee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:16 PM   #7

Why don't you try the convection oven that you have? I think your in for a pleasant surprise, we love our little oven, it wouldn't do a whole turkey but I think you could get a good sized turkey breast in there, and it bakes cakes better than any stove we have ever owned. They do require a little practice and sometimes I have to remove heavier items for my wife, because of the height she is afraid she may drop a hot dish.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:14 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
We really miss having a gas oven, but we rustic camp all the time and don't like to have the generator running for long periods to utilize the convection oven. We purchased a portable gas oven and are still learning the ins and outs of its use. It is slower and you have to manually regulate the temp by opening the door periodically, but it beats listening to the genny run. Brian
Old 08-04-2014, 08:32 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I do bake a lot. We do not have a gas/propane oven and I would not want one. We have a rather large convection microwave oven that I really like. It works very well. As a matter of fact my mother is sending me all of grandma's cookie recipes, she was going to leave them to me in her will but I convinced her that I should have them now so that I could bake them and send her some I may have to do some modifications to them as they list the ingredients not in how many cups but how many pounds of things like flour to use.

I do not like to cook with gas, I would rather cook with electric. That is me, there are others that would not cook or bake with anything but gas.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:32 PM   #10

I have the oven/cooktop AND the convection oven. Once I figured out how to use the convection oven, I cannot imagine ever going back to the gas oven. I have since converted the oven into a drawer ;-)

Chris
akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 05:23 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
will try the convection option for the pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
I do bake a lot. We do not have a gas/propane oven and I would not want one. We have a rather large convection microwave oven that I really like. It works very well. As a matter of fact my mother is sending me all of grandma's cookie recipes, she was going to leave them to me in her will but I convinced her that I should have them now so that I could bake them and send her some I may have to do some modifications to them as they list the ingredients not in how many cups but how many pounds of things like flour to use.

I do not like to cook with gas, I would rather cook with electric. That is me, there are others that would not cook or bake with anything but gas.
I too prefer to cook and back with electric. Strangely, tho, for the last 20 years, my electric ranges and microwaves have all also had convection cooking, but never bothered to try it because I had heard that, although it is quicker for baking and roasting, it tends to dry the food out. If that is not true and if we go ahead and replace the microwave that comes with the unit with a larger unit, maybe that will solve most of our problems. Our current microwave could hold a 14" pizza stone, so maybe I will buy a smaller stone and try to make a pizza in our current microwave/convection oven. I have to see how heating the stone and oven for an hour in advance works. If it works, I am happy--at least about pizza making. Pies and layer cakes to be tried now too.. Thanks for the feedback!!!
Old 08-05-2014, 05:33 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
The dish washer is far more useful than the propane oven, just my opinion of course. We don't do a lot of baking but for what we do,the convection works great. Takes a little adjusting of the time as the convection cooks faster. I think once you get used to it you'll find it does just as good if not better than the propane oven plus it doesn't heat the coach up. It is vented to the outside.
Going with the convection also gives you the option of going all electric for the coach. Residential fridge, AquaHot heating and hot water, induction cook top, and heated floors if you want (awesome).
I've seen lots of posts where people have taken the oven out and replaced it with storage or something. I haven't seen any where they have taken that out to add the oven.
BTW, not sure how big a turkey you could fit in the convection, maybe a really small one. Might be just one of those compromises we all have to make when we go full time.
I would love all electric, the we will be getting a Tiffin Phaeton 40qbh and it comes with a gas stove. We will be trying to replace that after we get the unit. Hoping that the convection oven is big enough to work for pizza and baking and that it doesn't dry thinks out..
Old 08-05-2014, 05:35 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post

I absolutely prefer an electric oven and only mentioned the gas oven because they don't offer an option of an electric oven. The microwave that comes with the unit (Tiffin Phaeton 40qbh) just looks so small and always heard that convection dried things out when you bake.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:56 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
In our previous MH we had both a gas oven and a convection. We tried the gas over with a cherry pie when we first bought the MH....then never used it for 10 years after trying the convection. Our new MH only has a convection and that is fine with us.

brobox is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas