Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2015, 09:11 AM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
A dealer once told me when I was considering a new gas class A that the problem with many gas coaches is that there is too much weight behind the rear axle. Makes for a squirrly front axle? Anyway, we are in our 2nd diesel coach and driving is a one finger job. The latest is a newmar with comfort steer (drive?). Like it a lot, both used and doing fine. jmo make
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2015, 10:31 AM   #16

I have a 2013 fleetwood storm 32bh gasser with ford V10. Big trucks, no problem. I drive one handed most of the time. Little uhaul or other box trucks give me fits. I think its the aerodynamics of the passing vehicle. The other problem is sitting high and the results of "wind loading" the wind force hitting the side. With more weight no matter what engine one won't feel it as much. Last fall drove down the Columbia Gorge in Oregon with a 25 knot wind the whole time hitting the side of the MH . Talk about exhausted at the end of that day fighting the wheel, whew. Any one that's a boater or rode ships in the Navy has experienced that.
denverh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:42 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor tools View Post
Gas Verses Diesel

We own a 2006 Georgie Boy Pursuit. When I am being passed by trucks on the Interstate, I sometimes get actually pushed off the road and partially on the apron. This is a very harrowing experience. I was told by other RV'ers that this problem is pretty much non existent with a Diesel Pusher. Can anyone here enlighten me if this is the caes or not? We are considering trading for a diesel.

Thanks for the feedback
Robin

Your observations are not new to this forum. SuperSteer has some great suspension products to help your ride be more stable. Here is a link to the manufacturer: RV & Truck Parts - Suspension – Steering – Brakes - Towing

One of the major differences between a DP and a gasser is suspension. DP's ride on air bag (air springs). Gassers ride on conventional springs. Also, with the DP having the engine in the rear the ride is much more quiet for the most part.

We with DP's can still get shoved around under the right conditions but not like most gassers. I installed a steering compensating devise on my coach (TruCenter) and I have the SS motion control modification in my air suspension. A cross wind can get tiring after many hours on the road. The TruCenter takes the pull out. The motion control kit reduces much of the side to side sway. I didn't realize how much we had until these things were installed. This really helps at slow speeds through potholes.

Hope we have helped. You are dealing with what you have. Seeking advise is a good way to find a reasonable fix.

Rick Y
Old 07-06-2015, 05:04 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you keep your gasser I would suggest installing aux airsprings. They will make a huge difference in handeling and ride. You didn't say what chassis you have so I posted both for Ford and Workhorse.

Ford Motorhome - Page 1 | SuspensionConnection.com

Air Lift Air Bags - 2006 Workhorse W20 - TruckSpring.com

Firestone Ride-Rite - 2006 Workhorse W20 - TruckSpring.com
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:14 PM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Our rig weighs 46,500+ EMPTY probably 50,000 loaded, towing a 4,400+# Odyssey and a truck doesn't pass me unless I let them! Although I really never try to "race" anyone. Set the cruise and enjoy the ride.
This is our third DP and they are much more stable than our last gasser was but that was in 1998 too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
That is the reason we switched to a diesel. I know part of my problem was with the P30 bread truck chassis but it liked to wander around on it own and we use to get sucked in and blown out by passing trucks. All that has gone away with the DP.

Same here
jimmyjnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:07 PM   #21

Light vehicles can ride well. Heavy vehicles can ride well. Either can ride poorly too. Ride has little to do with weight and everything about the suspension design.
Bucky1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:08 PM   #22

My old MH was a 1995 coachmen destiny 38ft diesel pusher. My current is a 2008 38ft safari simba front engine diesel on freightliner spring ride chassis. The air ride pusher rode a little better but not not by a lot. The big thing to me is the pusher was quieter. When the fan comes on on my FRED it's pretty loud. As far as being pushed around neither of them got much push from 18 wheelers.
Jake74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:19 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
We owned a gasser Brave, when trucks went by it was a quarter turn correction of the steering wheel to hold it straight. Next rig was 38' K Star gasser..only a little movement when a truck goes by. Now have a 40' DP seldom hardly any movement when we get passed. Towed with all three, always drive about 60, keep tires properly inflated. And good shocks make a difference
Old 07-08-2015, 08:08 PM   #24

Triple E Owners Club
I have a 1999 35' F53. I did the chf, new rear stabilizer bushings and built a track bar. It hardly moves from the big rigs now. Easy to drive one handed.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:18 PM   #25

Our TC1000 Blue Bird Skoolie conversion is rock steady under all conditions. It has leaf springs, it's a brick shape but it's weight is 50/50 front/rear by my design. I believe this wt. dist. is a large factor in its stability. 265/70/19.5 14 ply tires.

Front engine, diesel, fr=9640, r=9647lbs, about 19,300 total.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 06:06 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee View Post
Our TC1000 Blue Bird Skoolie conversion is rock steady under all conditions. It has leaf springs, it's a brick shape but it's weight is 50/50 front/rear by my design. I believe this wt. dist. is a large factor in its stability. 265/70/19.5 14 ply tires.

Front engine, diesel, fr=9640, r=9647lbs, about 19,300 total.
Sounds like each front tire carries twice the load that each rear carries?
Bucky1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:26 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky1320 View Post
Sounds like each front tire carries twice the load that each rear carries?
Yes. The front singles are 6010lb cap. each.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:42 AM   #28

As already mentioned, all DP chassis are not created equal. Freightliner alone makes five different motorhome DP chassis and they are not the only brand on the market. Do your homework and try to test drive an assortment of chassis so you can experience the differences. I am happy with the XC-R Freightliner our Allegro Red is built on, without any aftermarket enhancements. However, your expectations may differ from mine.

Tags
diesel, gas