Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2015, 12:49 PM   #29
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
There are plenty of poor handling diesels out here. Mine was a white knuckle poorly handling monster. Even cars going around made me put two hands on the wheel.

After tons of money and work it handles excellent now. I have made changes in all of the rv's we have owned. Some we added air bags, most all received new shocks and alignments.

The current Diesel pusher has had two alignments, ride height, tire pressures set using four corner weights, sway bars, safe-t-plus, cross bars, replaced the steering box that had way too much slack, and check valves on the air bag lines.

Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2015, 01:09 PM   #30

FWIW we are looking at a ~30 ft A so I started a spread sheet to compare. One of immediately obvious points was that folks on the high end use longer wheel base chassis from the same family for their shorter coaches. That has me thinking that would make if big difference in handling among other things. As I recall the wb range was from ~188-220 inches for a MH length variation of around 1-2 ft. Wheel size is also larger on the more expensive units.

Old 07-09-2015, 04:25 PM   #31

The Winnebago I had was a Freightliner and it was by far the best riding MH I've ever owned. And I've had several.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:43 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
There are plenty of poor handling diesels out here. Mine was a white knuckle poorly handling monster. Even cars going around made me put two hands on the wheel.

After tons of money and work it handles excellent now. I have made changes in all of the rv's we have owned. Some we added air bags, most all received new shocks and alignments.

The current Diesel pusher has had two alignments, ride height, tire pressures set using four corner weights, sway bars, safe-t-plus, cross bars, replaced the steering box that had way too much slack, and check valves on the air bag lines.
I thought two hands on the wheel was normal with my Meridian!
Old 07-09-2015, 08:55 PM   #33

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor tools View Post
Gas Verses Diesel

We own a 2006 Georgie Boy Pursuit. When I am being passed by trucks on the Interstate, I sometimes get actually pushed off the road and partially on the apron. This is a very harrowing experience. I was told by other RV'ers that this problem is pretty much non existent with a Diesel Pusher. Can anyone here enlighten me if this is the caes or not? We are considering trading for a diesel.

Thanks for the feedback
Robin
I think the answer to your question is Diesel Pushers CAN handle much better than gas units.

We bought our coach expecting wonderful handling. We were woefully disappointed. It was pretty much the same as what you are experiencing right now with your coach.

Then, I began communicating with and quickly became friends with Van Williams, and through the thread,

Wandering, sway bars, alignment, ride height, oh my!!

we figured out what we had to do to make our Roadmaster coach handle the way it should.

Our diesel pusher now handles the way it should, the way you would like your coach to handle. Our coach is not bothered at all by side winds, in fact, most days we don't even know there's a side wind until we step down from the coach. We pay no attention to passing trucks, sometimes I don't even know they are there until I see them in my mirror, or hear the roar of their diesel outside my driver's window. Life is good.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:02 PM   #34

Well there is theory and then there is what actually happens on the road.

Theory - 1. More weight means a given side wind force will resist that force more as the weight goes up. 2. Long chassis and short overhangs = shorter levers to cause road wander.

On the road - My personal experience is that some coaches go down the road more easily than others. Numbers 1 and 2 are true in my personal experience.

Our current coach hardly notices truck wind wash. It is 42-44,000 lbs and has a tag axle.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:10 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not all gas RV's get pushed around, mine doesn't and it it factory stock except for Koni shocks.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 12:17 AM   #36

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
UFOs are a special breed. They were the best handling gas chassis out there. When Workhorse starts producing MH chassis again this fall they should bring it back into production.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 09:29 AM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algonquin View Post
I thought two hands on the wheel was normal with my Meridian!
What year and model is your coach? You can put all of this information in your signature. To do this go to the Users CP found near the top left of the page.

If you note in my signature I have a Blue Ox TruCenter installed. It helps take the natural pull out of the wheel. This is my third coach with a Freightliner Custom Chassis and they all have this pull. This device really takes a lot of the stress out of driving.

In truth I, too, still drive with both hands on the wheel. Habit and security.
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:35 AM   #38

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
My old Gasser a 14000 lb 32 ft Georgie Boy Pursuit was driven one handed most of the time. I was not bothered with wander or sway. Did not have problems when a semi passed. The only things I had that were options was a Steer safe on the front and air bags in the rear. The shocks were good and the tires were new. I just traded it off and got a newer motor home. Hope this new one handles as good.
Mel
Old 07-10-2015, 11:14 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
My old Gasser a 14000 lb 32 ft Georgie Boy Pursuit was driven one handed most of the time. I was not bothered with wander or sway. Did not have problems when a semi passed. The only things I had that were options was a Steer safe on the front and air bags in the rear. The shocks were good and the tires were new. I just traded it off and got a newer motor home. Hope this new one handles as good.
Mel
I agree. My first was a Cruise Air in back in the 70's. I thought it handled just fine. It takes a little time to learn how to drive one. Most people over correct at first. Any mh will get moved around in a strong wind. Even the biggest DP's. Get behind a 60k lb charter bus sometime and watch it get pushed around. These aren't cars and will never drive like one.
Old 07-11-2015, 11:49 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by B Bob View Post
Well there is theory and then there is what actually happens on the road.

Theory - 1. More weight means a given side wind force will resist that force more as the weight goes up. 2. Long chassis and short overhangs = shorter levers to cause road wander.

On the road - My personal experience is that some coaches go down the road more easily than others. Numbers 1 and 2 are true in my personal experience.

Our current coach hardly notices truck wind wash. It is 42-44,000 lbs and has a tag axle.
These things really work: http://www.supersteerparts.com/produ...rol-units.html

I haven't had them on the coach long enough to know how well in truck passing situations but I may not notice any difference because my rig handles this situation well in most cases. Now, when getting fuel in one of those pothole happy truck stops... What a difference. The side to side sway is much reduced. I had mine installed but I think you could do it yourself with not much trouble. Talk to the folks at Henderson's. They are very helpful.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Rick & Melissa Young & Dawson, 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U, Freightliner XCL, Cummins ISL 380HP/DEF, Allison 3000 MH, 2014 Honda CR-V, SMI AF1, Blue Ox tow equip., TST 507 TPMS, TruCenter steering control, Hughes auto transformer.
Servants On Wheels Ever Ready. Best job we ever paid to do . (full time volunteers)
jerichorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 12:18 PM   #41

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Test drive it first!
We had two gas coaches and two DPs. Both DPs were a dream to drive. We test drove a couple other DPs and they were awful with passing cars and wind. Someone above said that about his Meridian. We test drove one of those and it too was awful. maybe just coincidence???
krivanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 12:40 PM   #42

We had a 37' diesel pusher that definitely got moved around by the trucks and now we have a 45' with tag and while I still feel it a little, we don't actually move - I assume it is a combination of the tag and a heavier coach but don't know which contributes the most to the improvement.

Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas