Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2015, 05:49 AM   #1

Gas ride performance vs. Diesel

Gas Verses Diesel

We own a 2006 Georgie Boy Pursuit. When I am being passed by trucks on the Interstate, I sometimes get actually pushed off the road and partially on the apron. This is a very harrowing experience. I was told by other RV'ers that this problem is pretty much non existent with a Diesel Pusher. Can anyone here enlighten me if this is the caes or not? We are considering trading for a diesel.

Thanks for the feedback
Robin

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2015, 06:10 AM   #2

Not the most experience here,,,,, but it is all about the weight. Our diesel is 30,000 lbs (not a particularly heavy unit) and that makes it much more planted.

Are you towing, have a good portion of weight on your front axle? Our gas unit would wander when we increased the hitch weight of what we towed.

L.

Lloyd in S.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:46 AM   #3
Commercial Member

DP Lover

Our coach is 46,000 loaded and does not get pushed around but we also tow a toad and have a tag. I have owned both gas and diesel and I feel more secure in a DP.
niceguy9605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:54 AM   #4

That is the reason we switched to a diesel. I know part of my problem was with the P30 bread truck chassis but it liked to wander around on it own and we use to get sucked in and blown out by passing trucks. All that has gone away with the DP.
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:59 AM   #5

I keep hearing the newer gas chassis have changed for the better somehow (haven't heard anything specific regarding how), but after having experienced a DP for a while now, the far superior handling of a DP is just one of the reasons I'll never go back to gas. We're only about 23K wet - not much heavier than a bigger gasser.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:07 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Our previous gas rig got buffeted around a lot more than the Diesel rig we have now.

My feelings is that it was much lighter and seemed to ride higher off the ground. The Freightliner chassis seems to hug the ground more and not tend to wander as much
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:11 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a gas MH on a 22K Workhorse chassis. Big rigs don't push us around if they pass us, except if the truck is a flat-bed type. We only get a slight push with this style truck. The bow wave must be different with the flat-bed attached.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:18 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
DP with 32k lbs and we still get pushed around by semi's and wind, yea if ya gotta have a 40k+lbs unit they probably don't as much, if you can afford one....
Relax, after a while you don't even think about it.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:27 AM   #9

I have a gasser and I do get pushed a bit. I have found out that when the cab of the truck gets in line with me I start to feel the push. I just let off the gas a bit and I track right on
edstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:31 AM   #10

Gas ride performance vs. Diesel

Welcome to iRV2!
I have had 4 rigs. 3 front engine Workhorse at 23, 25 and 32. One Roadmaster DP with tag at 42.
The 23 and 25 were effected by trucks, but I got used to when the "push" would come and turn slightly into it and back again. No off-roading!
The 32 was a 2011 and was affected very little. Maybe newer design? Maybe the extra weight of the front diesel? Loved it.
The 42 + tag is a dream!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:37 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think wheel base length makes a difference. I had a 34' gas rig on a Ford chassis and was pushed around. Then I went to a 39' Workhorse with a much longer wheelbase and it is a dream to drive. I can actually drive one handed.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:43 AM   #12
epj

We have a 36' gas on a Ford chassis. When I first started driving it, I noticed some push from trucks. Now, with still only a couple of hundred miles experience, I don't notice it much. Getting ready to go on our first out of area trip this week. We'll see how it fares
vs the trucks on a long trip.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:45 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I think its chassis more than DP vs Gas. I had a 37' Coachmen DP on a Freightliner XCS, it moved around alot from wind, trucks etc. Now have a Newmar (see sig) on a Spartan with IFS, far more stable, much less body roll, semi's passing are barely noticed.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor tools View Post
Gas Verses Diesel

We own a 2006 Georgie Boy Pursuit. When I am being passed by trucks on the Interstate, I sometimes get actually pushed off the road and partially on the apron. This is a very harrowing experience. I was told by other RV'ers that this problem is pretty much non existent with a Diesel Pusher. Can anyone here enlighten me if this is the caes or not? We are considering trading for a diesel.

Thanks for the feedback
Robin
I had a 2008 Georgie Boy Pursuit and it needed a bit of attention on the handling. First I weighed it and adjusted the tire pressures according to the tire load tables. Next came a front end alignment at a good heavy duty truck shop. No more big pushes from semis. Handled pretty well.

Next we got the Itasca Sunova 33C on a 22K F53 chassis. It handled pretty well from the factory but I decided to tweak it to it's best handling. Weigh and alignment first. With my modifications it's a one handed, relaxed drive. (See my sig below for the modifications) Maybe one in a hundred semis will give me a slight push. 45 mph crosswinds do not bother it and it's still one a handed drive.

The most improvement in handling for the Sunova came with the extra Roadmaster HD sway bar (after the alignment) and steering stabilizer. We travel light (gross weight fully loaded is 20K) and tow the Jeep or CRV.

Our first MH back in 2007 was a 2002 Coachmen Class C. It was dangerous to drive. An oncoming semi or passing semi would push it onto the right shoulder. Took it to a big rig truck shop for an alignment and after that it drove like a dream. Turns out the alignment was way off. No additional modifications needed.

If you really want to investigate the Ford F53 chassis handling I would check out the Ford Chassis Forum. Many good hints and suggestions there from some very knowledgeable people.

Tags
diesel, gas