Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2016, 06:30 PM   #1

Gas Struts in bed storage

I have a queen-sized bed in my 2006 Holiday Rambler, with storage underneath. The gas struts that hold that bed up are not working. Does anybody have experience with this? Are they repairable, refillable, etc.?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2016, 06:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyHarris View Post
I have a queen-sized bed in my 2006 Holiday Rambler, with storage underneath. The gas struts that hold that bed up are not working. Does anybody have experience with this? Are they repairable, refillable, etc.?
Very easy to remove & replace. There's a metal "c" clip/spring that hold them onto the ball. Just pry the clip off & pull the strut off the ball.
When you install the new one, start the clip on over the end, place it on the ball, then slide the clip down into place.
malexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:14 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
If your lucky there will be some information on the strut, possibly a model or part number. Check on Ebay, lots of suppliers with a wide range of prices.

FWIW, our struts worked great, almost too good as my wife could hardly get the bed go down. I installed an 12 volt electric actuator similar to this
DC 12V 14" 330lbs Linear Actuator w Wireless Control Kit for Car Auto Door Open | eBay

I can't remember the length but it was the same length extended as the strut. I mounted it in parallel with one of the struts, put the control module under the bed and mounted the remote on the side of the cabinet. I had to have a spacer at the bottom to move it out so it wouldn't interfere with the original strut.

The actuator both raises and lowers the bed with a little assistance from me or my wife. My wife doesn't have to holler at me every time she wants something from under the bed. I put a quick release pin on the top anchor and improvised a lever to pull it out if the bed gets stuck in the down position.

If I would do it again I'd probably put one on both sides.

2 Dual 18" Stroke Linear Actuators 12V w Bracket Wireless Remote Controller Set | eBay
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:19 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tommy, these are not a serviceable item. As mentioned they are easily removable and can be replaced. Many times these struts will have a manufacturer's number on them and they can be crossed. Or perhaps remove one and take to local parts dealer. Length and the pounds of force are important in determining what you need for a correct replacement. I replaced a couple of mine and they were made by "Spring Lift" and I found suitable replacements off eBay. Often times the ends are critical to an actual replacement.

PS From one Army vet to another "Thank you for your service". Vietnam 68-69, Phoenix program.
98FPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 07:36 PM   #5

I used the Hatchlift brand as shown in this video to replace the springs on our king size bed in the motorhome. They make a kit for the bed. It was real easy and lifts the king sized bed with ease. If you look at the description of the video, there is a promo code for a 10% discount. Good luck!
Inthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:10 PM   #6

Thanks, everybody! This was very helpful.

Tommy
Old 02-23-2016, 04:16 PM   #7

Bought our replacements at Amazon. Just be sure the length and proper pounds match as someone else suggested. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 06:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
If your lucky there will be some information on the strut, possibly a model or part number. Check on Ebay, lots of suppliers with a wide range of prices.

FWIW, our struts worked great, almost too good as my wife could hardly get the bed go down. I installed an 12 volt electric actuator similar to this
DC 12V 14" 330lbs Linear Actuator w Wireless Control Kit for Car Auto Door Open | eBay

I can't remember the length but it was the same length extended as the strut. I mounted it in parallel with one of the struts, put the control module under the bed and mounted the remote on the side of the cabinet. I had to have a spacer at the bottom to move it out so it wouldn't interfere with the original strut.

The actuator both raises and lowers the bed with a little assistance from me or my wife. My wife doesn't have to holler at me every time she wants something from under the bed. I put a quick release pin on the top anchor and improvised a lever to pull it out if the bed gets stuck in the down position.

If I would do it again I'd probably put one on both sides.

2 Dual 18" Stroke Linear Actuators 12V w Bracket Wireless Remote Controller Set | eBay

I have a similar problem only the gas shocks on mine are not strong enough. It works ok with out anything on the mattress but once the bed is made the extra weight of the bedding the gas supports are not strong enough to support all the weight. I am in the process of installing a 12" linear actuator on mine. I am mounting it in the center of the bed so it won't pull to only one side.

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, storage