Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2014, 09:00 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Gas Tank External Drain- -Need Suggestions?

In 2 weeks I will drop my fuel tank to replace the fuel pump that has been acting up. While I have it out, I am thinking about installing an external valve to drain the tank if needed in the future. Dealing with today’s ethanol mixture, when the fuel is getting old in the motorhome, I could drain some of it and use it in my daily auto. This way, I could refill the motorhome with fresher fuel before it gets too bad/old.

1. What do you think about this idea?
2. If this is doable, What valve or drain do you recommend?
3. Not wanting to weld on the fuel tank as it is too dangerous, What adhesive material do I use to adhere the plate with the valve to the tank?

Thanks in Advance for your help and suggestions.

MrMudstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2014, 10:08 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd tap off the fuel line, either the main or the generator. If you 'T' off the main pick up, you could install an auxiliary switch to use the submerged fuel pump as a way to pump out the tank. Just hide the new plumbing and fuel pump switch, no point making it easy for the neighborhood teens to fill their tank!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:09 PM   #3

If you're dropping the tank, why not weld. Fill with water, drain it down and weld away.

Had a friend that wanted a larger tank on his Blazer so cut the tank in half, added about five inches all the way around and welded it back. Poured some tank sealer in it, rolled it around to coat the interior and let everything dry. No leaks and a lot more range (which we needed in Alaska).
Dennis4809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:40 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Just tee off the main fuel line. But if you use fuel refill it right away as you will get condensation if you don't. Stabil or another product will help with storage fuel.

LEN
Old 10-10-2014, 06:21 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
After reading all the suggestions, I decided when I install the fuel tank I will reroute the genset fuel line with a T connected to a 12V external fuel pump. The one I am looking at will pump 30 GPH which will solve my problem. I won’t be using this system often, just when the fuel is getting older than I desire if I don’t travel much in a 3-4 month period. Thanks to all for your assistance and suggestions.
MrMudstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:37 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Of course you know that tapping the genset pick up will only access the top 3/4 of the tank, leaving a 1/4 tank of gas and 3/4 air to allow condensation to develop. In addition, if you tap into the main engine pick up, not only can you drain the tank more fully but no need for an auxiliary pump, just energize the submerged fuel pump when you want to drain the tank.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas, tank