Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2009, 07:34 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question Gas Tank Overflowing

Has anyone had problems filling up their gas tank, in order to fill it up I need to hold the nozzle and fill very slowly or it will overflow.

RayandPamT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2009, 09:28 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I am no expert, so I can't give solutions, but it seems like you have a venting problem. As you are filling the tank, the fuel displaces the air, and the air has to go somewhere. If the vent is not working, the fuel just fills the filler neck and overflows or kicks the pump off. Sound logical?

Old 04-19-2009, 09:39 PM   #3

If you are in Kalifornia, the State mandated recently-installed "upgrades" to the Moonbeam-Jerry-Brown gas filler nozzles. On the news this last week: They knew some vehicles wouldn't fill properly, and some perhaps not at all; they figured the number of complaints would be small and not too serious (when your car won't fill at all?), so too bad for the affected owners.

If my vehicle no longer accepted gas, maybe I'd voice a small, not too serious complaint. NOT. I'd make a stink.

Supposably, there are 2 manufacturers of the new nozzles (one has "Healey" cast into the plastic wrap on the upper side of the handle), and if one mfgr's nozzle gives you fits, the Air Board fugures you'll go find gas stations that used the other mfgr's nozzle & shop there instead (assumes the other nozzle doesn't also shut you out of getting gas).
Old 04-20-2009, 08:22 AM   #4
paz

Some coaches have a venting problem. If you can, get under the coach and check to if the filler tube and/or vent have a low spot. If so, you will need to straighten out the sag. The low spot in the vent will collect fuel and keep the vent from working properly.

Some coaches have more problems than others. I think the builders didn't allow enough height difference between the filler neck and the top of the tank.

That being said, I have problems once in a while with certain pump nozzles. It hasn't been in California, but it may very well be as EngineerMike says because of nozzles of a certain design. In those cases, I have to fill with the nozzle backed out of the filler neck as far as I dare and baby it along - a real PITA when pumping 50 or 60 gallons.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 09:10 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Very common with motor homes.. The reason is that motor homes are wide and the fuel filler is low so there is little if any "Slope" to the filler tube. this means low flow

Drooping the filler side jack and tilting the rig away from the filler can help,

However,,,, Be careful doing that, you don't want to leave a lasting impression on the station
Old 04-20-2009, 09:57 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Over the years, several vendors have had problems with gasoline fill line routing and vent lines. Check your vent line and fill line to make sure they both have a slope toward the tank with no pockets.

Something I did that helped on out Minnie Winnie class C was to use the HWH levelers to lift the left side (especially the left rear corner) of the coach when fueling. Tis was enough to help fueling.

ken
Old 04-21-2009, 08:20 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Over the years, several vendors have had problems with gasoline fill line routing and vent lines. Check your vent line and fill line to make sure they both have a slope toward the tank with no pockets.

Something I did that helped on out Minnie Winnie class C was to use the HWH levelers to lift the left side (especially the left rear corner) of the coach when fueling. Tis was enough to help fueling.

ken
Thanks for all the help, unfortunately I don't have levelers on our class C, this weekend I will try to see if the fill line is sloped or not.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:41 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think I found the problem, see photo.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37758171@N02/3481741616/
Old 04-27-2009, 11:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayandPamT View Post
I think I found the problem, see photo.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37758171@N02/3481741616/
yup nice kink there! you might be able to loosen the hose onthe pipe and slid it on further and solve that problem.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:47 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDKing View Post
yup nice kink there! you might be able to loosen the hose onthe pipe and slid it on further and solve that problem.
you may need to cut 1/4" or so of the end of the hose to shorten it and get a new surface to clamp so it won't leak.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 12:57 AM   #11

Thanks for this great info. We have a very large tank and you can only imagine how long it takes to fill at a trickle because of spilling over. One station owner came out and asked if something was wrong with the pump because it was taking us so long filling a drop at a time. Thanks! Will look at the lines.