RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2018, 04:22 AM   #1

Gas to Diesel Engine Conversion Ford F53

hello ..
im looking to buy class A thor outlaw .. its built on ford F53 with gas engine .. my problem is i go for long drives yearly .. almost 4 months a year on the road .. gas engine will not be usful for me in term of fuel and power ..

any experience in conversion of ford F53 to diesel ,,??

abady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2018, 05:00 AM   #2

That would be like trying to make chicken salad out of chicken poop. You would be much better served buying what you need already in place. I wouldn't go near trying to do that.

Funding Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by abady View Post
hello ..
im looking to buy class A thor outlaw .. its built on ford F53 with gas engine .. my problem is i go for long drives yearly .. almost 4 months a year on the road .. gas engine will not be usful for me in term of fuel and power ..

Man! Where to begin. For starters, I hope you understand that you can't just convert the gasoline V-10 to diesel.

Bottom line is that if you're not happy with the gasoline rig buy a diesel and be done with it.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:40 AM   #4

You cannot convert the engine to diesel. If you try to replace the engine with a diesel you will have weight and space issues to deal with as the engine and transmission will be significantly heavier. Then there is the issue of the fuel shared with the generator so that will need to be dealt with. As was said, buy a different unit with a diesel. It will be cheaper and much easier in the long run.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 05:52 AM   #5

So are you looking at an engine V10 6.7 in like those that have posted buy a Class A diesel you would need to change out the Gen fuel lines add filter transmission to meet the diesel output and may also need to change out the drive shaft buy a class A diesel even if itís an older
Old 06-01-2018, 06:00 AM   #6

Hmmmm, what if?

What if you got your hands on a crashed dodge eco-diesel?

What if you have access to the ultimate mans workshop?

What if the workshop was next door to the ultimate scrap yard?
Old 06-01-2018, 06:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggcrisp View Post
Hmmmm, what if?

What if you got your hands on a crashed dodge eco-diesel?

What if you have access to the ultimate mans workshop?

What if the workshop was next door to the ultimate scrap yard?
Then you'd have a spare V-10 gas engine for your hot rod. Fun!

Old 06-01-2018, 06:47 AM   #8

It has been done but it's a lot of work and probably not cheap. I agree with others just to buy what you are wanting to start with.
I had a mechanic who put a Cummins in his F450 service truck. It was easier to work on then a class A rv but still a lot of work.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:56 AM   #9

Their was a guy that put a Duramax drive train in an older motorhome. I can't remember all the details but he was very happy with the results. There was a thread on the Rv.net forums about the conversion.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:14 AM   #10

With the slower turning diesel, the rear diff. would likely need to be re-geared.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 07:29 AM   #11
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
WELCOME to the forums...

I would have guessed if you're actually traveling (driving) for 4 months out of the year, the drive ability and ride would have been more of a factor than power from a gasoline vs diesel, and you would probably move toward a DP for that reason.

With that said. Yes, Anything is possible, but I don't believe it would be worth the expense of converting a gasoline (and possibly transmission) to a diesel.. Engine and transmission, and their control modules also need to be factored in, along with the mechanical, motor mounts, linkage, etc, etc, etc.. AND - When you're finished, you would have a "one-of"

If power is your concern, The only real difference between gasoline and diesel in the turbo charger.. There are aftermarket add-on turbo chargers and super chargers available for gasoline engines. This approach might be less expensive and an easier conversion than a full diesel / transmission swap.

I'm running the older low power version (275/305 hp) of the V10, and haven't run into any problems as far as power. While I'm making an 11,000 ft climb up I-70 at 25 mph with the four way flashers blinking, I watch the DPs zoom by me at what looks like 70 mph. Thats OK, I make it to the top, I just do it a lot slower..

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:17 AM   #12

Theres a big reason we didn't opt for a diesel powered coach. Cost and ongoing costs. As for power..... There is no lack of power in the newer V10's. I pull DP's up grades with a 3000 lbs trailer (with a SXS and BMW GS)...... But hey, we live in the US and freedom is the name of the game.....
Old 06-01-2018, 08:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by abady View Post
hello ..

OK, if you want a Thor Outlaw, and diesel, buy one of these:

2014 Thor Super-C

2015 Thor Diesel

2010 Damon Toy Hauler (with Cummins!) FrED

There are more out there, but I'll let you have the fun of Googlin' them up!

I'm also curious as how you've decided that the V-10 gas engine isn't suitable for your purpose. Have you driven one or spoken to those who have used one for the same application you've got in mind?
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:46 AM   #14

I thought the Outlaw came in a Fred diesel at some stage.

Tags
diesel, engine, f53, ford, gas