Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Gas to Diesel - What did you learn?

What were the things you found surprised you the most when you moved from a gas to DP RV? Often talked about are the ride qualities but what else? Was maintenance more than you expected and did the more complexity present more problems? If you moved from a gas to a DP with a tag, did that really rock your world?

In other words...

What didn't you know that you didn't know?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #2

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
The dream ride costs money but worth every penny .

Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaball View Post
The dream ride costs money but worth every penny .

So very true, especially if one rides in it more than they live in it.

In our situation we live in our gas coach more than we ride in it so it's somewhat of a moot issue for us.

Safe travels to all

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:55 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I discovered that motorhomes can actually be enjoyable to drive. Our diesel pusher is much easier to drive on the highways than was our gas Holiday Rambler. The downside is there are some places I would take the 32' Holiday Rambler that I would refuse to take our current diesel pusher.

Mike
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:56 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cost VS Benefits

Maintenence costs a little more. Fuel costs more per gallon.

Having the noise in the rear is good. But KNOWING that I'm going to make it up the hill is priceless.

After hearing and hearing and hearing about Allison truck transmissions for so many years I have to say that I am now a believer.

It was a little overwhelming at first to move from a simple fifth wheel to a DP, but with the help of the good folks here we do get by.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Maintenance costs were quite a bit more than I expected, even though I thought I had researched that before moving to a DP. I was forewarned about bigger oil changes and the need for regular fuel filter changes, but nobody mentioned the numerous other items that need regular attention, e.g. hydraulic system & filter, transmission filters, coolant additives, the high cost of air filters (mine is $140 at the discount places), dryer cartridge for the air system, etc.

Add to that the substantial risk of a fuel lift pump or injector pump replacement and the generally outrageously high costs of any diesel engine part and you have really high $$ maintenance.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Maintenance costs were quite a bit more than I expected, even though I thought I had researched that before moving to a DP. I was forewarned about bigger oil changes and the need for regular fuel filter changes, but nobody mentioned the numerous other items that need regular attention, e.g. hydraulic system & filter, transmission filters, coolant additives, the high cost of air filters (mine is $140 at the discount places), dryer cartridge for the air system, etc.

Add to that the substantial risk of a fuel lift pump or injector pump replacement and the generally outrageously high costs of any diesel engine part and you have really high $$ maintenance.
Yes, but is it worth it?
Old 09-10-2012, 06:08 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1sparky View Post
Yes, but is it worth it?
If you enjoy driving and do alot of it, a diesel is for you.
If you just go from point A to point B and then just stay there, a gas motorhome is the answer.
As far as the cost of Fuel, a diesel gets more MPG than gas so is more economical if you do alot of traveling.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1sparky View Post
Yes, but is it worth it?
In my case yes. My wife did not enjoy the drive in our gas coach unless it was a very calm day with good roads. Had I not upgraded I seriously doubt we'd still be doing this. Fortunately we can afford the higher cost(s) for something we enjoy very much.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #10

I never owned a gas model, we went to a diesel and now on my 2nd one. We planned on traveling a lot and we felt the diesel was the way to go. I still feel we made the correct choice.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #11

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post

--Oil changes are a once a year item (~$300) as are fuel filters (~<$100)
--Hydraulic fluids don't have anything to to with the engine; they run things like the power steering and engine fan. The fluid and filters only have to be replaced every couple of years.
--Transmission filters are an every 3-4 year item; even if your Transynd fluid needs changing at the same time the cost should be only $400-600
--Coolant additives are NOT required if the coolant is a Cat or Cummins extended life coolant. For a Cat all that is required is an additive at the 3-year point.
--Air filter are also a once every several year item

Don't get scared away from a DP because of what people tell you about maintenance; do the research and make an informed decision.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by docj

--Hydraulic fluids don't have anything to to with the engine; they run things like the power steering and engine fan. The fluid and filters only have to be replaced every couple of years.
--Transmission filters are an every 3-4 year item; even if your Transynd fluid needs changing at the same time the cost should be only $400-600
--Coolant additives are NOT required if the coolant is a Cat or Cummins extended life coolant. For a Cat all that is required is an additive at the 3-year point.

Don't get scared away from a DP because of what people tell you about maintenance; do the research and make an informed decision.
Agreed!
Old 09-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post

X3. Go DP!
Old 09-10-2012, 08:00 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks much so far! Nothing scares me...yet. LOL What I wanted to get a feel for is how much more my learning curve is going to be. We are definitely going DP...just holding out for the best one for us.

A couple questions from the responses so far...

There was a comment that the trany filter is replaced every 3-4 years...I would think that would be true for the fluid but the filter would be every year...especially with Transynd.

Also, the same was said about the air filter. That seems odd to me unless that means they can be cleaned in between and need replacement at about 3-4 years.

Thoughts?

Tags
diesel, gas