Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #29
Originally Posted by Coopers Mom View Post
What I worry about most is being able to go cross country pulling my toad and not overheating or burning up the engine on the grades.
I've towed my Corolla then my Jeep with the same gas rig for well over 10,000 miles in the last few years, much of it over western mountains. No issues. Using an engine/tranny temp monitor like a ScanGauge and keeping it slow over the steeper passes should keep you on the road a long time.

Edit: I average 8.6mpg pulling the Jeep.

'99 Bounder 30E with V10 and '06 Wrangler tow (no more dolly )
trainsktg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #30

Carolina Campers
I pull a '05 Escape Hybrid, 4WD. I have pulled it all across the country for thousands of miles. I use a tow bar and baseplate. Unless there is no option, don't let anyone talk you into a tow dolly. I tried that first, and regretted every penny that I wasted. Within a few trips I found that it was well worth it to upgrade to a tow bar.

There is no problem pulling the Escape all four down, as long as you follow the directions in the owners manual. I have seen some posts say that you can not pull one with all four down. Don't listen to them, read the manual.

There is one limit from the '05 manual, you should not tow it faster than 75 mph for long distances. But if you normally drive like me in the RV, I drive at a around 60 mph. This is a safer speed and you will save a bundle on gas.

Some people can afford to spend a lot of money without a care for the future. I can't. I am retired and need to budget my expenses. Therefore, if you are like me in that regard, then at least consider a gasser.

You said you will be traveling for two years or so. That being the case, lets say you put 30K miles on the RV. Regardless of the fuel prices, with the difference between gas versus diesel cost you will save a conservative $15K just in fuel cost over the 30K miles. Also, up front, you will pay 10's of thousand's more in the price for a diesel, as well as hundreds more in maintenance cost.

Again, if money is no object, buy a diesel and enjoy it. IMHO, you can find everything you want in a gas rig and at the end of your two years be thousands of dollars ahead.

Regardless what you do, enjoy you RVing and make great memories all along the way.

Happy travels!

tedgard01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 08:46 AM   #31
Thanks to all of you for your very thoughtful comments, and the debate continues....it will come down to who has the best deal at the best time...If I find one I cannot do without, I will have to pull the trigger, but for now, I am walking in and out of them, sitting, getting in the shower and turning around...some of them are harder to get into than others, finding sometimes the last step is a big one for a little woman...any suggestions on how to help with that issue. Again, all of you are so helpful and I cannot wait to get out on the road and maybe sit around a fire with you someday....happy travels everyone one.
Coopers Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 09:38 AM   #32
You said you had concerns about the last step. We have found a very inexpensive way to fix this problem by finding one of those exercise stair steps that is adjustable at thrift stores. Our last one we bought for $.50. Works great and has a big footprint.
Stormrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #33
Originally Posted by Coopers Mom View Post
Thanks Olive, it is always nice to hear of other women who are able to stay on the road without a man in their life...So much to think about, probably will come down to finding the perfect gem short DP...may be a while before I find her, but I will keep looking and keep looking to you all in the forum for help and advice...Thanks to all of you who have responded..Anybody out there pulling a 3500 pound toad with a gaser and getting good results.
4000 pounds was noticeable pulling with a 2000 gasser, 2500 much better, but with your budget and buying newer shouldn't be a problem, either will do it.
Reason most like diesel is more torque for pulling and in Mountains the diesel has better braking systems available. If you can find one with a hitch already installed look to see what it is rated for at least 5000 for the Ford.

DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote

diesel, gas