Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2012, 11:04 PM   #29

Send a message via Skype™ to GSGracie
Have a 1999 ford V10 in a Mirada. Went through the mountains over New Year (summer here) and didn't find a hill that the MH couldn't cope with. However I only have a four speed transmission and found the gaps between first and second and second and third too great. Third and fourth are great for the flat, keeping up with traffic at 2000 rpm with little trouble. Once third would not cope we went from 50 mph to 30 mph in second, same revs. If second could not cope, which happened on a few occasions, then first at 2000 rpm is 15 mph. Would go vertical in first I suspect but not quickly. My worry was always coming down the other side. I kept my speed at a similar speed to going up, used my brakes for short bursts to help the engine braking in a lower gear and had no problems, but this was my first time in the mountains and going down was definitely more scary than going up.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2012, 07:47 AM   #30

When I owned my v-10 most of the time no problem. Sometimes I was flat out in first and one time on a mountain I was sweating thinking, well this is it she has no more now what am I going to do. My little 400 Hp cat just pushes along like the song says no worries be happy.

Old 03-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #31

I agree!
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2RVn View Post
Our V10 gasser has done great in the mtns. of N. Ga, N.C and Tenn. pulling a jeep toad. I've passed a few DP's that seemed to be struggling and been passed by a few that went by me like I was sitting still. The only thing I would say is if it breaks I would rather repair my gasser than a DP. But that is my opinion, and we all know what they say about opinions.
Old 03-25-2012, 08:13 AM   #32

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacknKay View Post
If it's 35ft a gas rig might be okay, but if it's a 40ft, you are talking about at DP. IMHO.
Mine's 40 and I have no problem with the "hills" in CO every summer. It's slow but sure. As mentioned, a gasser will lose engine power the higher the altitude so if speed in the mountains is your goal, go diesel. If I had my choice I'd buy a diesel because they last longer and are more gas efficient. That said, I'm happy with my gasser.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:37 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
We moved up last year from a 37' V-10 MH to our current DP.
My wife used to say "Are we going to make it?" when going over some of the western passes.
She doesn't say that anymore.
BUT, we always made it with the V-10. Good engine.
Buy what you can afford and what makes you comfortable.
Old 03-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you can afford to think diesel, I would suggest you purchase it. There are many advantages to a diesel, but I enjoy going down the hill as much as going up the hill. Of utmost importance is my wife is more willing to share in the driving. Over all, it is just a smoother ride and I feel much safer with the braking suspension and engine performance. I must admit it is more expensive to maintain and you know it is more expensive to purchase.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #35

Nice to see a thread of Gas vs Diesel not get into the normal sparring on difference of opinions - good input in this thread...

When looking for the next rig, I always recommend to come up with a list of 'Must Have's' and 'Like to Have's. Once you have that, it will usually be a very simple choice between Gas Front, Gas Rear, FRED or DP.

For extensive Western Mountain usage. I recommend going with a DP that has superior power to weight ratio (usually big block required, when going to the 40' size). Two or Three Levels of Jake Compression brakes, or a Retarder (which usually means Foretravel, not a bad reason to have a Retarder!). The added safety of going down hill is more important to me, then how fast a coach will climb a hill.

As always, but especially in tough mountain climbing usage - close eye on engine and trans temps, will allow you to determine if all is well from the mechanical front.

Besides all of that, on the 'Must Have's' section, the interior livability usage trumps all things.

Best of luck on your choices....
Smitty
Old 03-25-2012, 07:02 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
When I owned my v-10 most of the time no problem. Sometimes I was flat out in first and one time on a mountain I was sweating thinking, well this is it she has no more now what am I going to do. My little 400 Hp cat just pushes along like the song says no worries be happy.

The only times I have ever had to drop to 1st gear is when getting caught behind a semi that's only going 15mph and a solid stream of cars in the left lane.
And since this only happens in the mountains with (usually) nice scenery, I just sit back and enjoy the scenery.
But luckily, I have never been to the point of thinking that there was no more, what will I do now. That would make me real nervous.

And if I can ever afford to step up, it will be a DP.

Old 03-25-2012, 07:12 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
When looking for the next rig, I always recommend to come up with a list of 'Must Have's' and 'Like to Have's. Once you have that, it will usually be a very simple choice between Gas Front, Gas Rear, FRED or DP.

When we were looking for a MH, we had those lists.
Dual slides and 35'+ was on "Must have" and diesel pusher was on the other list.
So when we couldn't find a 35'+ DP with dual slides in our price range................

FRED = ??

Old 03-28-2012, 06:26 PM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
Lets look at the specks;;;;; The gas engine may have around 350 HP 375 Foot lbs turque;; The diesel 330 Hp has about 900 foot lbs torque .. Now Which gets you up the hill,, It is torque , It is the main thing. Horse power is basicly a man thing;; In our 8 coaches 6 were gas 2 were diesel ; Friends there is no compearasion.. Think about it;; Compair it to a manufacture who puts a tag axel on there chassic.. Why. The frame is NOT strong enough to carry the added weight. So just stuff another 1500 lbs under it.. When you pull 30000 lbs. you need a diesel power;;; We have caravened with gass units and waited on the top of the hill for the gas units to catch up; And thats the way it is;;;
Old 03-28-2012, 09:16 PM   #39

I would recommend a DP .think about it most company's use a diesel truck to pull there freight up those mountains not gas but as was talked about before the DP will cost more. And I have had my DP over heat going up the mountain in California on I-8 to San Deago
Old 03-29-2012, 07:16 AM   #40

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are going to be driving primarily in the mountains and can afford it, buy a DP. I am 900 miles away and didn't want to pay the price so I went with gas. A friend of mine has a huge DP and he recently installed new batteries. Six of them weighing 175 pounds each and cost $600 apiece. His oil changes cost $350. I do my own oil changes for about $50.
Old Dude 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 08:42 AM   #41
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Our 07 Ford V10 chassis, 35' motor home, did fine in the eastern mountains of Tennessee and North Carolina, but it would be screaming at 4500 RPM and frequently you could smell "hot" once you crested the hill. I thought the transmission did a good job on the downhill too, but again it sounded like the pistons would be joining me in the cockpit at any moment. Towing our Jeep we never did better than 6.5 mpg, maybe 7 solo. We avoided trips over the Rocky's due to my concern about drivetrain longevity and the loss of power as you climb.

Our "retirement home" is a very nicely appointed DP. After a couple trips through those same eastern passes I can tell you it's night and day. Zero stress, on me or the motor home. We won't hesitate to point it west this summer. I can also report that 7 plus mpg is easy, towing the same Jeep, and we've come close to 8 on rare occasion. I'm confident that as the engine breaks in we'll easily exceed 8.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:01 AM   #42
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I can go up and down a LOT of hills a little slower for the extra few minutes it takes and the $40,000 extra I didn't have to spend on a diesel pusher.
My 8.1 ltr gasser had little problem climbing mountains or hills coming back from Oregon and braking wasn't really an issue.

I did some reading before I purchased this coach and the 8.1 ltr with 340 horsepower does better than my RV with the V10 I just sold. As well, the W22 chassis comes with larger, better brakes.

This combination was made to compete with the entry level diesel pushers. My personal opinion is it does quite well. (so far)

Tags
diesel, gas