Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2012, 11:31 AM   #1

Gas vs Diesel

We have a 34 ft. Class A, gas MH and have been thinking about upgrading to used larger, diesel MH. Cummins, Allison, Freightliner etc. We'd appreciate any input on best choice in diesel engines. Low maintenance, annual maintenance requirements, cost etc. Also, RV manufacturer name. Tiffin vs Newmar etc. Saw a Beaver MH diesel motorhome on a website and thought it looked great but don't know much about the Beaver MH's.
Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
You pretty much can't go wrong If you get something with a Cummins or Cat diesel.
Diesel Maintance does not have to nearly as bad as some make it out to be.
Over the life of a engine a diesel is much cheaper per mile than a gasoline engine.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum.

Feel free to use our search feature to find a mountain of reading material on the gas vs diesel topic.

We have a Cummins 400ISL/Allison 6 speed/Freightliner and have been very happy with it overall. All three rigs you mentioned have outstanding reputations and IMO you can't go wrong with any of them... although, I have the impression that Newmar and Beaver might have a little higher price points than Tiffin... but I'm not sure on that.

Best of Luck

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #4

Gas vs Diesel

Thank you. Appreciate your reply.
Barb and Rich
Old 06-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome,

We used to have an '03 Pace Arrow gas rig that we really liked but didn't use enough so sold it.
Now, having decided to get back into rving, we bought an '02 Discovery diesel pusher just this past month. We already like it better because of the air suspension, quietness when driving and just seems like a better overall experience.
We had it the mh and genset serviced right away and spent right at $500 so that was kind of a shock but after watching I feel comfortable doing alot of it myself when needed.
We'll be taking a long trip to SC in a couple of weeks and will know more about it on that trip.
abrasv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:00 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I agree you can't go wrong with any thing you mentioned even though I am a Winnie man myself. I have a Journey with a Cummins 330 and love it. I will never go back to a gas engine. Ride, noise, everything is better.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:08 PM   #7

I would also add Fleetwood products. A Discovery was already mentioned. Their other DPs include Bunder, Expedition (our choice), Discovery, Excursion, Providence, and Revolution. In the older units, pre 2008, all of these coaches have good reputations, and for all of the folks we know, their support has been excellent.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:40 PM   #8

I would like to add my $.02 to this discussion, we have owned 4 motorhomes, starting in '76. We bought our diesel, a '99 Discovery in '03, and if we had bought this one first, we wouldn't have had to own the other 3, this thing is fantastic, for ride, drive and quiet.
GreaTOne65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #9

Ah, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have a Diesel Class B, and a Mini Cooper premium sipper. I pray I never get them mixed up while fueling up. BRRrrrrrr.... gives me chills just thinking about it.
Rubix cube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 09:41 PM   #10

JMHO. Avoid the Cummins 5.9, ISB,great engine in a P/U but, not enough torque for the weight of a DP.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:07 AM   #11

Barb & Rich,

Our coach has a 330 hp CAT with the Allison transmission. We pull a Buick Rendezvous (4,200 lbs) We get 8.5 mpg towing and running the generator and dash air. Our coach is on a Freightliner chassis.

A yearly oil change and filter cost us $120. I replaced the air and fuel filter on the coach for $75. I also changed the air and fuel filter in the Onan generator for $30.

When we started looking our initial list was long. We looked for almost a year. We had narrowed our short list down to Winnebago and Thor. We purchased a Thor product and have been very happy with it.
Old 06-25-2012, 07:34 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by abrasv View Post
Welcome,

We used to have an '03 Pace Arrow gas rig that we really liked but didn't use enough so sold it.
Now, having decided to get back into rving, we bought an '02 Discovery diesel pusher just this past month. We already like it better because of the air suspension, quietness when driving and just seems like a better overall experience.
We had it the mh and genset serviced right away and spent right at $500 so that was kind of a shock but after watching I feel comfortable doing alot of it myself when needed.
We'll be taking a long trip to SC in a couple of weeks and will know more about it on that trip.
If you're going to South Carolina, it would be well worth your time and money to go to the Camp Freightliner school on diesel maintenance for a couple of days. They have a campground and they really take care of you while you're there.
Ramzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:10 PM   #13

The Cat and Cummins motors are both rock solid. The newer electronic motors built after the late 1990's get better fuel milage. I have many friends with many kinds of motor homes. As far as I can tell almost all of them are good. At least most of the ones owned by the 30 families in our small motor home club have few repairs.

The most complete rating of motor home quality is from the RVCG. When I bought our motor home three years ago I used them extensively and their ratings in my opinion are very accurate. I stuck with motor homes they rated 90% or better and they were significantly better than the rest. The two brands you asked about are in their ratings.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:14 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
You pretty much can't go wrong If you get something with a Cummins or Cat diesel.
Diesel Maintance does not have to nearly as bad as some make it out to be.
Over the life of a engine a diesel is much cheaper per mile than a gasoline engine.
I'd have to disagree with the maintenance costs. There's no doubt that there are a lot of advantages of DPs over gassers but I do not think cost is one of them. (In fact, I think the only thing better with gasser than DPs is the cost of maintenance)

If you drive 1,000,000 miles, your diesel engine might cost you less than a gas engine, but for the average DP probably won't see 100,000 miles and for that, it will cost you more. You might get better mileage with the DP but diesel costs more so it's pretty much a wash. With a gasser, you can do oil changes at some Walmarts for under $50, arguably the cheapest oil change for a DP is Speedco and you'll pay close to $200 there. With the gasser, I think you might never change the transmission fluid and if you do, it might be $200. A DP with Allison needs to be changed every 2 years at $200 if you have regular fluid. If you switch to synthetic, you can do it every four but it will probably cost you $400-$500. Any maintenance / repairs is probably going to cost you a lot more too.

Hope this helps.
michelb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas