Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2013, 07:41 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
You've gotten some good advice, just remember that your sailboat diesel is not a good comparison for a gas vs diesel discussion. The SB diesel in not a turbo and is in the boat primarily for safety reasons. Diesel boat engines are much safer than gas.

A diesel is a much more pleasant driving experience...quiet, powerful, climbing hills with ease. With the least bit of upgrade, my gasser was screaming with the rpm going off the scale.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2013, 08:34 AM   #16

Two days ago I was at a seminar where the ford chassis guy was giving his dog and pony show. As most of these shows go it is a big sales pitch. If 1/2 of what he said was true the V10 engine and chassis improvments make the unit much more pleasent to drive. Then the dealer offered to take me for a ride. My comment was central Ohio is too flat to get a good test drive. And beside, I like my new truck and 5er.

I actually test drove both gas and diesel back to back once. But I was way to rattled to notice and difference. Both units were huge and rattled and shimmied down the road. Actually all 5 MH's I have been in (3 diesel and 2 gas) seemed to have the shake, rattle and roll down the highway.

The gas chassis now comes in 22,000, 24,000 and 26,000 lb. weights. They have 22.5" wheels, residential refers, tile floors and 3 slides. To me they are getting like the old diesel pushers were. But the new diesel pushers are nicer yet.

Fyi - it is a common thought that the bigger the chassis the better. Diesel chassis usually are in the 32, 000 lb. range.

Old 01-10-2013, 08:49 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
The gas chassis now comes in 22,000, 24,000 and 26,000 lb. weights. They have 22.5" wheels, residential refers, tile floors and 3 slides. To me they are getting like the old diesel pushers were. But the new diesel pushers are nicer yet...
The thing about these is the CCC. My W24 chassis is quite capable for part time use but with 1607 CCC (Which we thought was a lot) became the problem. The most of the problem was that with the gas and water in the back we started getting near to the rear GAWR (15,500) even though we had a few hundred pounds left on the front axle. There was no way we could push enough stuff up front to put more on the front to carry more stuff for longer trips along with all the RV goodies we wanted too.

In effect, our CCC became around 1300# because of balancing issues. Now, we do have the basement AC that probably added more weight on the back and actually took weight off the front. A W24 with 2 roof ACs might balance out a bit better.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #18

Dp's are way better. Engine brakes, air ride, chassis storage room, weight carrying capacity, (those Corian counter tops are weighty), Engine noise way back there, diesel engines are so smooooooth, and the trannies are so nice. Nice to go 10,000 miles between oil changes, and all that power, and the one million mile engine, that is, if you get the light duty diesel. Gassers are nice, as a matter of fact, any motorhome is better than none, but a diesel? definitely better in any and every way.
Old 01-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgc44a View Post
Dp's are way better. Engine brakes, air ride, chassis storage room, weight carrying capacity, (those Corian counter tops are weighty), Engine noise way back there, diesel engines are so smooooooth, and the trannies are so nice. Nice to go 10,000 miles between oil changes, and all that power, and the one million mile engine, that is, if you get the light duty diesel. Gassers are nice, as a matter of fact, any motorhome is better than none, but a diesel? definitely better in any and every way.
15,000 between changes
Old 01-13-2013, 09:06 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a Winnebago View on a Mercedes Sprinter chassis (3 liter diesel) - it was a great MH but too small for us with 2 kids. Traded for a Winnebago Vista on a workhorse w22 chassis with a big block Chevy engine. The big block may be an old design but does the job very well. No problem at all through the Rockies (way better than the Sprinter), and the open floor plan is great. 7mpg not so much. I think with a DP it's more than a gas vs diesel decision since there's a lot more loaded on the DPs than a comparably sized gasser. I'm hoping we see more DPs in the 30-35' length (preferably with bunks), since that might be my next purchase. But right now very happy with the workhorse.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeapBigEngin View Post
This is great!! Of all the comments made one way or the other, this one is probably the most accurate, IMHO. Good....VERY good.
Right on! X2!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:37 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Two reasons I went from a V10 to a DP, quiet and smooth ride (says it all)

Even with a $1.00 spread of the pump price of diesel fuel over gas the cost per mile traveled is lower with a DP due to the increased MPG over gas.
rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:57 AM   #23

As a newbie , just starting to look, what size would y'all say is minimum for full-timers. I'm looking in the 35-38 range, or am I misguided? Thanks for any and all advice in advance.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:58 AM   #24

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My wife says that with her hearing aids the noise of a gasser is intolerable. She also much prefers the flat floor.

If you take a comparison test drive be sure to include some up and down roads, merging onto an Interstate, and being passed by big trucks.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:09 AM   #25

go6car offers a good summary. Also, except for the newer, shorter, DP's, the comparisons usually offered are not apples to apples, rather apples to oranges. Comparing a 32-34 ft gasser to a 40-45 ft DP isn't a valid comparison. These are two different products and there aren't any coaches with either a gas or diesel chassis so a direct comparison isn't possible. It comes down to what one wants, and how it will be used.

I'm in the minority in that my preference is not for a 40 ft rig. I prefer the size and maneuverability of our 29 ft Safari TREK. This is a 1999 gas chassis and has many of the features of DP's but in a small size; full body paint with clear coat, Aluminum exterior, thermo-pane windows, corian counter tops, factory inverter, back up camera, full size glass enclosed shower, solid wood cabinetry, ultra leather seats, ducted A/C, heated water bay, heated power mirrors, etc.

I only offer this to suggest that a nice 40 ft DP isn't everyone's dream at the end of the rainbow. I have even heard rumors that some people actually have RV's that are pulled by trucks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by go6car View Post
...I guess what I'm trying to say is don't rule out a gas rig based solely on what you read online. It's not gas VS diesel, but more like comparing gas AND diesel, since at the end of the day, they both present great, solid choices in a Class A rig!

Best of luck to you in whatever you decide!
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Harriet View Post
As a newbie , just starting to look, what size would y'all say is minimum for full-timers. I'm looking in the 35-38 range, or am I misguided? Thanks for any and all advice in advance.
We are F/T in a 33 toading a Wrangler. We travel lighter than most. No freezer. No mini fridge. No washer/dryer. Only 2 slides. Etc.

For us, conserving on space and weight, easier maneuvering, and 11mpg makes for enjoyable touring. There is probably a 40 footer coming our way when we slow down a bit, however!

We got down to what we aint got we dont need. You'll figure out what fits your needs. Best of luck to you!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
While there are no chassis that are either gas or DP for a direct comparison there are DPs less than 40 ft. Take a look at the Winnebago Journey 34Y, the Fleetwood Excursion, and of course the Thor Palazzo.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
I made it real simple for my customers that asked me about diesel or gas. If fulltiming, go diesel. You will be carrying everything you own with you. You will need the space and ccc of the diesel. If on a tight budget, go gas. Everything cost more on the DP. I have driven hundreds of gas and diesel coaches to and from shows. High end diesels are much quieter and smooth riding than gas. You better have deep pockets when you do need service on a diesel. I would rather buy gas and spend the leftover money on traveling, than to stretch my pocketbook and go diesel and not be able to use it. I bought my fifth motorhome in 2007 and it is gas. (and I love it.) If I won the lottery, I would for sure jump into a DP.

Tags
diesel, gas