Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #1

Gas vs Diesel

I know from my own experience with the Diesel engine in my sailboat, the advantages of diesel over gasoline, but I'd like to hear from those who may have driven a Class A with gas and one with diesel and ask what is your opinion. I'm almost convinced that the Ford Triton, V-10, is almost as good, pound for pound, in the 29 to 35 ft range. What has your experience been? Thanks for any feedback or insight.
Carolina450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina450 View Post
I know from my own experience with the Diesel engine in my sailboat, the advantages of diesel over gasoline, but I'd like to hear from those who may have driven a Class A with gas and one with diesel and ask what is your opinion. I'm almost convinced that the Ford Triton, V-10, is almost as good, pound for pound, in the 29 to 35 ft range. What has your experience been? Thanks for any feedback or insight.
Her is how the last one went before being shutdown:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f23/be-gl...er-147379.html
Old 01-06-2013, 07:21 PM   #3

We hav owned and driven both gas class As and diesel pushers. For us and our requirements, we would not own another gas class A. This has nothing to do with others preferences, but for us the ride, quiet, drive quality, compartment storage, etc. convinced us to move into the dp arena many year ago. I think the answer for anyone depends on how they intend to use their RV, what features are important, floorplan, finances, etc. If the unit you purchase satisfies your needs, then it's the right one for you IMHO.

2003 Fleetwood Expedition 38N 2005 Saturn Vue
jlfbatonrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #4

Regarding power to weight, mileage, and cost's involved, you may be on the right track with your thinking? What throws a monkey wrench into all those equations though, are the DP's air suspensions, air brakes, exhaust brake, bullet proof transmissions, differences in construction and materials, etc. Really, the best way to appreciate the differences, is if you've had experience with both?
Old 01-06-2013, 08:11 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum. Feel free to use our search feature and you'll find more reading material on this topic than you can shake a stick at.

I can't offer comparisons since my 40DP is the only coach I've owned. It's tough to answer questions about one being "almost as good" because that's so many things to so many people.

If money is a large factor in the decision process, it's tough, IMO, to justify the cost of a diesel if there is a gasser available which meets the CCC needs. The best reason to buy a DP IMO is because you WANT one.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #6

I've struggled with the same dilemma and have test driven many of both before finally settling for a 38' DP. When my wife and I first started looking, I was leaning toward DP, but she wanted gas. For me, getting a DP was a prestige thing, a dream...kinda silly. After doing the research and test driving many MHs, I ended up wanting gas, mainly because I like to do my own maintenance and engine repairs, and the unknowns of DP mechanics scared me; much more comfortable with gas. But my wife absolutely loved the ride of a DP over gas and fell in love with our 2002 Tiffin Phaeton. So, in the end, that decided the issue for us, and I've been learning more about DP maintenance as time goes on (5 whole weeks so far)

Larry
DoubleVetera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:17 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I just traded in my 09 gasser 30 ft with one slide I was getting 7 mph. New 2 us is a 09 dp 34 ft three slides. Besides the much larger feel inside and the 9.8 mpg so far. The ride is far superior, air suspension. double pane windows. Engine noise in back we fell in love during the test drive. My DW who did not like to drive the gasser loves to drive this one. She said the feel is like a Cadillac compared to a pick up truck. I can easily drive this dp further without fatigue than the other. But each to their own.
sellhomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:03 AM   #8

I don't have either type yet, but plan on getting something in a year or so. My budget and no knowledge at all about diesel is pushing me to a gas model. Then add that most of the diesel models are 40'+. From what I have looked at the diesel models seem to have more and better of everything inside. Another driving point for us is the floor plan. Most of the floor plans we find in diesel are the 40+ models.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:12 AM   #9

We had a 34 ft gasser and recently went to a 40 ft DP. The ride in the DP is incredible. The wind waggle we had with the gasser is all but gone. The eighteen wheelers no long push us off the road. No more white knuckle driving. As stated here, we got 6-6.5 mpg with gas and now 8-8.5 with diesel. This is about a wash with the fuel price difference. Maintenance will be more but how much couldn't tell you yet. Do know that oil change is more but the DP will go almost double the mileage before changing. Air ride, air brakes, motor and trans smooth as silk. The v10 will be noisy especially will climbing hills, down shifts and high revs constantly. I know it's all in what fits you, price, etc but we will never regret paying more for the difference we have .
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:57 AM   #10

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
I think it's so very subjective between gas and diesel. Bottom like - they are both fantastic. Really. Truly.

I, too, was in your shoes last year and was doing that same comparison. A lot also factors in simply on what you prefer and what your budget is. A new higher-end gas rig and an older quality diesel rig will fall within the same zone, price-wise. So it really comes down to what you simply like better. The only real way to determine that is to get out there and try several of each to reach your own conclusion.

Here's what we picked for our needs: a new gas rig. We are weekenders/vacation users that drive typically within about a 4-hour radius, with some longer trips planned in the spring/summer/fall months. I had a prior TT to use as part of a down payment (which limited me to buying from dealers this time around). Also, I'm in the Northeast so the selection of quality used diesel rigs was not that great and if you happen to find a fantastic one, it's usually sold by the time you call about it.

These new gas rigs have really evolved over the past few years from being more entry-level, to being much closer in look, feel and amenities to their diesel cousins. Ours has full body paint. My interior is identical to this brand's diesel rigs (same ceramic tile floors/backsplash; full one piece shower surround, window treatments, real hardwood throughout, etc.). Has the Ford v10, which I think is fantastic and pulls our little Jeep like it's not back there. Maintenance is easy. I have no trouble carrying on a conversation while underway in a normal tone of voice. It has a long wheelbase. The ride is great and not the horror that I thought it might be from all my reading (again - you need to get out and actually experience this, but if you're in a new-er gas rig, I think you may be pleasantly surprised as well). I did not 'need' to install any aftermarket things to make it drive/ride better, but we did so for a matter of personal preference. Got a steer safe for the front to help mitigate risk of control/damage from a front tire blow out. Got a rear track bar to make a great drive/ride experience even better. All-in-all, I would do it all over again.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't rule out a gas rig based solely on what you read online. It's not gas VS diesel, but more like comparing gas AND diesel, since at the end of the day, they both present great, solid choices in a Class A rig!

Best of luck to you in whatever you decide!

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Where are you going to be going in the MH and how much time in the unit. If you are in the midwest, going to stay there, and do just weekends/2 week vacations, then a gasser is the way to go. Going to be climbing the Rockies 2-4 times each year, fulltiming/snowbirding for months on end, go with a DP. You can get DPs in the 34-28 ft length, then 34s are getting a little short. First time clicking on the exhaust brake and walking down a mountain pass convinced me of the benefits of a DP - not to mention having much better CCC, which is important to a fulltimer, the air ride, and relative quiet of a DP.

One thing is for sure - do not, repeat DO NOT, test drive DPs if you are really going to buy a gasser, the test drive will ruin it for you.

Barb
Blog
Barbaraok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:52 AM   #12

To me it's a use issue. How you use the coach should determine which is the better/smarter choice for you.

For us, it was the mechanics of a DP. We in our coach 6-9 months at a time and make 100% of our income out of it. Most of the time I've got 24-36 hours to be where I need to be in country for work.

That means long hours behind the wheel (12-14 hours a day). Air brakes and engine brakes were very important to me. Air ride is just a bonus. Getting service done every 10,000 miles makes it easy for me as well. It waits for my off season.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:22 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
...One thing is for sure - do not, repeat DO NOT, test drive DPs if you are really going to buy a gasser, the test drive will ruin it for you.
Especially a 43' Mountain Aire!

We drove one earlier this year...Sandee has NOT forgotten that experience hence our purchase.

Still X2 what Barb said!
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaraok View Post
One thing is for sure - do not, repeat DO NOT, test drive DPs if you are really going to buy a gasser, the test drive will ruin it for you.

Barb
This is great!! Of all the comments made one way or the other, this one is probably the most accurate, IMHO. Good....VERY good.

Tags
diesel, gas