Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2014, 12:16 PM   #29

I have a 2000 38' Endeavor with a 330 Cat. The average fuel economy over its 75,000 miles has been 8.5. I don't tow anything and drive 65 - 70. Running the generator, I get between 8 and 9 mpg.

For me, the big advantages of the DP are:

1. Engine in the rear and generator in the front. Quiet when I drive and when I sleep.
2. No one has mentioned the advantage in fueling - with diesel, all you have to do is find a truck stop and there is no worry about being able to get in and out.
3. Air brakes and air suspension makes driving a pleasure.

I've never thought much about the comparative costs - if I was worried about saving money, I would just stay home and watch television.

wallacerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2014, 12:22 PM   #30

What value to you put on your comfort? In this area it is no contest, the diesel wins hands down.

I have driven both. Driving in the mountains with a gas powered coach is painful. You have to get the engine up to 4,000 rpm to make enough horsepower to climb the hills. At that rpm, with the engine right next to you, you can't hear yourself think! Conversation is almost impossible. The gassers are built on a truck chassis and they ride like...well..a truck! Handling is awful, unless you spend a LOT of money on handling "fixes." And if you have to run the generator during the night, where is it? Right under the bedroom!

A typical diesel rides like a dream...air suspension. Mountains are almost a non-event, as the diesel climbs the grades with half the RPM of the gasser. Plus the engine is way at the back, where you don't hear it. Handling is much better, too. And in that night-time scenario with the generator running, it is all the way up front...you can't hear it either!

The DW and I decided that our comfort was worth enough to go with the higher operating costs of the diesel. We have never regretted that decision.

Old 03-01-2014, 12:39 PM   #31

We have had three gas and five diesel MHs. The diesel pusher is by far the best option for comfort and ride. However, a gas MH will take you to the same places. You can see the same sites. Is less expensive to buy. They offer some great floor plans and my wife would drive the gas ones, but doesn't feel comfortable driving a 43" diesel with a 26' trailer behind. The diesel is larger and requires a little "Getting used to" time. A lot of people start out in a gas, but after several trips/years, move up to a diesel for a lot of personal reasons. In the end, it's all about the experience of enjoying the open road and exploring out of the way places. You can do that in a gas or a diesel. Take you pick.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:54 PM   #32

The 5.9 cummins in that coach is one of the best versions that they built. The 275 cummins was a great combination of fuel economy/power. In a 35-38' rv, they would do 11-13mpg all day long a 60mph. He is looking at a coach that will have 1 slideout and weight no more than 23,000lbs. Telling what you get with you 40' quad slide with a 400hp emmisions restricted engine is really not useful to him.

Yes it is enough horsepower, as long as you go in with realistic expectations. Will it climb a 8% grade at 75mph? No, but it will get you to the top, and rolling along on flat land you will get better mileage than anything comparable in size.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:57 PM   #33

Jim, I can't add much new info, but I have the engine you are looking at in a 99 winnebago, 34 ft about 20K wt, with 76k miles. Plenty of power, very smooth. I have had the rig 16 months and put on 6k miles . Avg milage 9.33 overall. On 3200 mile trip from CT to FL last month averaged 10.25 always pulling 4K of car. Rich
Old 03-01-2014, 12:58 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passin Thru View Post
There are lots of discussion forums on D vs G and I'm a diesel promoter. Agree with the other guy on Arkansas, it has some really steep hills. so do WV, KY, VA and MD. CATs use more fuel than Cummins for the simple reason they put out more HP. Cummins measures from the flywheel, CAT measures from the wheels. After engine losses, horsepower at the flywheel is considered to lose about 20 to 22 percent of its value on its way to the rear wheels through the transmission, driveshaft and rear axle. CAts all have higher compression than a like rated Cummins having owned CAT and run lot's of Cummins, the cummins is still a great engine. A 550 Cummins has 1100 ft lb and a 550 CAT can produce 1850 ft lb
Specific fuel consumption tables are available and they are pretty accurate.
Others have already pointed the misleading and unsupported statements in this post. I'll add one more point.

The optimum compression ratio in a turbo-charged engine is dependent upon the maximum boost of the turbo. Stating that Cat has higher compression than Cummins is meaningless.

To stay on topic, I've had both gas and diesel class A coaches. For me, a DP is worth it for all the reasons already stated in this thread.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 01:20 PM   #35

Crasher, thanks for the HP/Torgue explanation. All information helps.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:53 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallacerm View Post
I have a 2000 38' Endeavor with a 330 Cat. The average fuel economy over its 75,000 miles has been 8.5. I don't tow anything and drive 65 - 70. Running the generator, I get between 8 and 9 mpg.

For me, the big advantages of the DP are:

1. Engine in the rear and generator in the front. Quiet when I drive and when I sleep.
2. No one has mentioned the advantage in fueling - with diesel, all you have to do is find a truck stop and there is no worry about being able to get in and out.
3. Air brakes and air suspension makes driving a pleasure.

I've never thought much about the comparative costs - if I was worried about saving money, I would just stay home and watch television.
We had a F250 diesel for 10 years towing a trailer and them 5th wheel. We got used to the convenience of filling up at the diesel pumps at truck stops. We purchased a gas engine motorhome and were continually frustrated having to fill up at gas pumps.

We now have a diesel pusher. Love it for all the reasons mentioned above. Engine noise, generator noise, ride comfort, driving comfort,room etc.

This may be hard to do but if you are still wondering about gas versus DP, drive a gas engine motorhome a couple of hundred miles and then drive or ride in a DP a couple of hundred miles. Decide on which way to go after both test drives. All else equal I bet you pick the diesel pusher.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:02 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpr_vbg View Post
We had a F250 diesel for 10 years towing a trailer and them 5th wheel. We got used to the convenience of filling up at the diesel pumps at truck stops. We purchased a gas engine motorhome and were continually frustrated having to fill up at gas pumps.

We now have a diesel pusher. Love it for all the reasons mentioned above. Engine noise, generator noise, ride comfort, driving comfort,room etc.

This may be hard to do but if you are still wondering about gas versus DP, drive a gas engine motorhome a couple of hundred miles and then drive or ride in a DP a couple of hundred miles. Decide on which way to go after both test drives. All else equal I bet you pick the diesel pusher.
If you can find a gas pusher, test drive it also. I have no engine noise and the generator is in the front. It has all of the power I need. It doesn't have air ride but it drives and handles just fine.

In 55000 miles I have only had a problem getting to the gas pumps 2 or 3 times so I just moved on to another station.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 02:20 PM   #38

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm on my third gas coach. I've never driven a diesel so I have no knowledge of their ride. All I can say is that I drive a great looking, great handling, comfortable coach with a floor plan I love that I bought new last February for just over $100k. Since then I have put 8k miles on it and have not one complaint. I average 7.3 MPG pulling a trailer using cheap 87 octane fuel. Changing the filters and oil cost me about $30 and I can do it myself in 15 minutes.

What the heck is DEF and why do you have to crawl to a service center when it runs out?
Old 03-01-2014, 02:48 PM   #39

Don, thats a beautiful MH, also like the HD. I've owned 2 Gold Wings, loved it, rode all over the USA. Decided I was getting too old, plus wife no longer wanted to ride.. Enjoy those 2-wheeling days! Jim
Old 03-01-2014, 05:24 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim042 View Post
Don, thats a beautiful MH, also like the HD. I've owned 2 Gold Wings, loved it, rode all over the USA. Decided I was getting too old, plus wife no longer wanted to ride.. Enjoy those 2-wheeling days! Jim
Jim, You need to trike a Goldwing like we did. Much safer and easy to drive. The wife loves it.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:50 PM   #41

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGShaffer View Post
I......
What the heck is DEF and why do you have to crawl to a service center when it runs out?
DEF is Diesel Exhaust Fluid. and no I didn't make that up. There really is such a thing. It is a fluid that is injected into the exh during a time that the engine computer alters it injector time slightly to make some extra exh heat and the heat and this fluid kill much of the pollutants.
These pollutants are stored in the DPF (Diesel particulate filter) and the extra heat is supposed to burn them off.
Ever see a newer (07 & newer) OTR truck or school bus with a lot of white smoke just running down the road like nothing is wrong? 99% chance it has a cracked DPF screen (Very high dollar)
If you run the DEF tank dry when the DPF is full you might cause the exh temp to rise so the computer is programmed to de-rate the power till you put some DEF in the tank so it can "complete the cleanse"

on the school buses we have the DEF tank only needed filled every 4-8K miles.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 08:26 PM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am going to suggest that the OP go out and test drive one of everything. I drove some gas motorhomes. and some class c and finally a DP I quit test driving everything else. We all have our favorites. I do not know about driving gas MH but I do know there are a lot of threads on IRV2 about adding additional equipment to get it to drive better. Go out and test drive a unit in the high wind that is as good a test as I know. If you are worried about cost and mileage maybe consider a fifth wheel. I have a 2006 Chevrolet duramax. I got 11 to 12 mpg on flat interstate and 8 to 10 in th mountains. I had plenty of power to pull hills. The new fifth wheel was a lot cheaper than most used motor homes. I had more kitchen space and it was easier to heat and cool. I would never go back to a 5th wheel again. The difference in the ride, driving, stopping is enough for me to pay the extra money. But if money and maintenance is a concern that is a cheaper way to go.

Tags
diesel, gas