Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2014, 11:27 AM   #99

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Its really very simple. If you want/ need a unit over 36 feet, diesel is just a logical choice. If you only want/ need a 35ft or less, gas makes sense.

My very first, (and hopefully last) MH was a 12 year old DP. 40ft we remodeled inside. It will be 14 years old, and we could not be happier. We fulltime, so that works for us.

I don't know who this person is thinking that diesel owners look down their noses on the gas owners. Some people will say anything, misrepresent facts, or take events out of context to justify their purchase.

This thread has once again turned into sniping and Arguments over our difference in our choices. There is no superior choice here, only the best choice for you.

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2014, 11:53 AM   #100

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ok let's be honest about this. Yes it is true, we mock and scorn you and laugh at you. There is a secret thread on IRV2 for DP's where we tell jokes about, dare I say it, Gasoline powered Motorhomes. The truth is now out.
I am cleansed.

Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 01:05 PM   #101

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I love these "mine is bigger" discussions that pop up here on occasion.

Buy what works for YOU and let others do the same.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 02:03 PM   #102

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
Ok let's be honest about this. Yes it is true, we mock and scorn you and laugh at you. There is a secret thread on IRV2 for DP's where we tell jokes about, dare I say it, Gasoline powered Motorhomes. The truth is now out.
I am cleansed.
Oh yea, I saw it! The forum titled GAS BASHERS!:-D :-D :-D :-D
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:02 PM   #103

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
I am cleansed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
Oh yea, I saw it! The forum titled GAS BASHERS!:-D :-D :-D :-D
Yes and remember not to let out our secret password to gain access
Glow-plugs-or-No-Plugs !!
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 03:30 PM   #104
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Now back to our regularly schedule show.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:21 PM   #105

There are disadvantages of owning a diesel that everyone knows about yet pushes under the rug. If a DP cost the same as a gasser then this would be an objective comparison. Facts are, I paid what I thought was a small fortune for my DP. It is 40ft long, weighs 32K, and gets better mileage than most V10s and will out perform them weighing 10K more. But this came at a price.....and I am on the LOW end of diesel pushers. If I paid half a mil, I would expect even more. This comparison is truly not a very good one, frankly. It scares the heck out of me that I paid what I did for a MH, so when it comes to these discussions, I automatically have to fall on the DP side of things.......or I will go crazy! I know that there are some great gasser floor plans out there, but for my HUGE payment, I chose the DP and because I did I get a bigger coach with better MPGs and more power up the mountains. I am still in shock at the price though....
Old 03-09-2014, 07:36 AM   #106

Newmar Owners Club
I have a gasser now and when I bought it you could not have convinced me to get a diesel. I know nothing about a diesel at all. But we are thinking of going full time and I feel a gasser with 4 slides will be to much for the Ford frame and motor. The cost of the gasser at the time we got it was a huge factor being we could not afford the diesel even if I wanted one. We figured if we sell the S&B we would use half of that money to make a huge down payment on the diesel.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:43 AM   #107

Gas vs diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallacerm View Post
I have a 2000 38' Endeavor with a 330 Cat. The average fuel economy over its 75,000 miles has been 8.5. I don't tow anything and drive 65 - 70. Running the generator, I get between 8 and 9 mpg.

For me, the big advantages of the DP are:

1. Engine in the rear and generator in the front. Quiet when I drive and when I sleep.
2. No one has mentioned the advantage in fueling - with diesel, all you have to do is find a truck stop and there is no worry about being able to get in and out.
3. Air brakes and air suspension makes driving a pleasure.

I've never thought much about the comparative costs - if I was worried about saving money, I would just stay home and watch television.
well said
Old 03-09-2014, 08:45 AM   #108

Well said ,they are night and day difference,go diesel
Old 03-09-2014, 08:46 AM   #109

Deciding what you want to spend on a coach might be the biggest decision regarding the purchase?

As a retiree, borrowing on my income level wasn't much of an option, and selling a house that was paid for way too high a price for me to even consider. As I'm able and willing to do most of my own repair work, I decided on a coach with a solid foundation and basics - just like I'd do if looking for a S&B home.

I ended up spending about as much as a new pickup might cost. It cleaned up nicely and with a little sweat equity invested, looks great and will take me anywhere I want to go with great style and comfort. AND, when it's just sitting there unused, what I have tied up into it doesn't bother me a bit. I can afford it easily and will hang on to it as long as there's another trip planned for it. When it's sold, even if I have to give it away (not likely), it will have cost me less that what some people loose in depreciation for a year.... That's me though, FWIW. -Al
Old 03-09-2014, 10:01 AM   #110

Has anyone tried Air tags? Did it improve stability when large trucks pass you? Any better gas mileage?
Old 03-10-2014, 10:35 AM   #111

It was an E-Bay item, I was looking at 20K, went for 23K.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:24 AM   #112

My rough estimation after looking at approximately 250 used Class RVs is that DP are $9-10,000 more.

It all depends on your budget, fiscal prudence and goals in life at the time.

We're new to RVing but we're not new to leisure activities. We are boaters so I'd rather spend a little less on an RV to avail more money for boating. We try to leave well below our means so that we have more money to do all sorts of travels pursuits all over the world. Hence, we don't finance anything but our home.

But to each his own.

I'm still shopping. The more I look the more I'm leaning toward a gasser purely on a cost vs use justification. I know DPs are better. We are planning a 6 month RV trip but will be selling or storing it thereafter. So the long term full-time RV thing is just not in the cards for us at this time. Hence a gasser, and it's inherent savings works for us. Also, I can spend a bit more on the gasser and get a newer model/ nicer interior. If it turns out we like the RV lifestyle. We'll probably step up to a brand new DP once the kids are in college. We're still a faily young couple with two little ones. For us, now is not the time for that dream Class A.

I'm a diesel guy at the core though... Cummins guy (have a massive Ram 3500 dually on 40" Michilen XMLs). So I'm all too familiar at how costly it can be to chase diesel maintenance should it come up.

Tags
diesel, gas