Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-07-2014, 12:21 PM   #15
One of the conundrums of a diesel vs gas debate is everyone's assumption that it will last longer because it is heavier duty, yet the weight is partially due to the extra weight of diesel components. A diesel motor is very heavy, as the chassis to go with it. The added weight does make a bit of a nicer ride, the rear engine is sweet, and air ride is great.....but the added weight of a big diesel coach will show a bit in the MPGs department. My 8.3L with the almost 40K weight will see about 7.5 mpg. A gasser will see about the same, but having a diesel would sure be nice to see 9s......and I like the quiet ride and genny in the front, far away from me while I am sleeping.....

2013 Discovery 40G, 2012 JK Rubicon TOAD1, 2014 Grand Cherokee TOAD2. 2013 RAM 1500 Longhorn. American Steel = American PROFITS!
dubdub07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2014, 12:35 PM   #16
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The basic difference in the engine is that the diesel produces its full rated horsepower at much lower RPMs than a gas engine (typically less than half as high). Less noise and less internal wear & tear to get full power. 340 hp is 340 hp, whether gas or diesel, but you don't get to use the full 340 hp in a big gas engine unless you are willing to have it screaming along at around 5000 rpms. Since most people are not, they make do with less power.

Engine aside, most diesel pusher chassis are stronger and sturdier than a gas chassis, so can handle a larger coach. They also have air suspension and air brakes. You won't find any 32,000 lb coaches riding on gas chassis, simple becasue nobody builds one with that much capability. Diesel power is better suited for big rigs and the price would be similar anyway. At lower weights and lengths, the gas chassis does fine and is competitive. Maybe even superior for occasional use, since maintenance needs are fewer and less expensive.
Gassers have come a long way in the last few years. The new generators are very quiet. Mine is toward the rear and is no louder than my dp was in the front. Look at the chassis on a new gasser. It's massive. There's more engine noise in the front but have you tried to take a knap in a dp while driving down the road. Won't happen.

rodz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 01:48 PM   #17
I think budget is also a big concern. I know that I would love to have a diesel, but for the small trips we do, I just can't justify the huge difference in expense. Plus, in regard to the power issue, it is true that the big diesels have lots of torque. However, as was mentioned, they also weigh ALOT more. My 460 with the Banks kit provides more than enough power to move my 37' motorhome while pulling my Jeep. I have to remember to keep it under 65 mph. I also don't have any trouble with hills because I weigh about half of what the diesels weigh.

In the end, the most important thing is if the floor plan works for you. Because whether it's gas or diesel, it will still get you to your destination.
1997 Thor Residency 3650 - 460, F53, Tag Axle and 2 slides, Banks Power Pack & Transcommander!!
Thor3650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 04:26 PM   #18
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
I tend to regard DP's as land yachts as in if you have to ask the price you cannot afford one. ;-)

I don't need to haul 10,000 lbs, like going a lot of places where a 45 ft will not fit and don't care how long it takes me to get up the hill. Just some of the benefits of being retired. ;-))
...and if you want to keep on enjoying that retirement coming down the back side of that hill there is nothing like a retarder or exhaust brake that you won't find on a gasser. We only use our motorhome three or four times a year. Everyone says floor plan is the most important but not for us. The ride,brakes and not getting blown around is the most important to us. Frankly we hardly spend any time in the rig once parked except to sleep.

1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote

diesel, gas