Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2014, 05:41 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Gas vs Diesel

Can someone tell me what advantage one engine type has over the other in a Class A motorhome?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2014, 05:43 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You'll get a lot of opinions. Here's a link to some previous threads to get you started.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Gas+...com&gws_rd=ssl

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 05:58 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Diesel = Team of Clydesdale pulling
Gas = Shetland pony
Old 10-07-2014, 06:03 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by huntnski View Post
Diesel = Team of Clydesdale pulling
Gas = Shetland pony

Good one.
I took my two Shetland ponies to 49 States ( almost twice ) and all 10 Canadian Provinces covering 93,000 miles and did just fine. Thank you. :-)

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:07 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Good one.
I took my two Shetland ponies to 49 States ( almost twice ) and all 10 Canadian Provinces covering 93,000 miles and did just fine. Thank you. :-)
I think I saw you, as me and my boys passed you going up that hill! Lol

You was one of the faces I was hoping to meet at the National Rally, maybe next time. Did meet a lot of great people!
Old 10-07-2014, 06:10 AM   #6

My two cents worth is Diesel only. Most Gas Class A's and C's are built on truck frames and diesel pushers are built on Bus frames. I say test drive both and you will see the difference. I can drive my Fleetwood Revolution all day and night. Does not get blown all over the road.
Old 10-07-2014, 06:43 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
My biggest concern (besides the additional maintenance cost) of a used DP is how would I make sure I am not buying a bad/problematic one?
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 06:58 AM   #8

My decision was based on what I needed the coach for. I had specific needs that a gasser could not fulfill. I need a towing hitch with a 10,000lb towing capacity and the torque to pull that 10,000lb up hills. As you may have guessed I purchased a diesel. A couple of other benefits are the engine is in the rear and makes for a quieter ride up front. Another benefit I like is while I'm sleeping in the bed, the generator is at the complete opposite end of the coach so I don't hear it run.

Some people will argue maintenance cost/service as an issue. I'm not going to get into that for two reasons. First, I do all my own maintenance and second, I have never owned a gasser and have no personnel experience as to the comparison.

I think a person needs to ask themselves how they are going to use the coach. Many find that a gasser has plenty of power for what they are doing and there is nothing wrong with that however, your needs may differ and a diesel might do a better job. Good luck with your research!
Old 10-07-2014, 07:00 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
My biggest concern (besides the additional maintenance cost) of a used DP is how would I make sure I am not buying a bad/problematic one?
How would you answer you question above if you were purchasing a used gasser?
Old 10-07-2014, 07:26 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead383 View Post
How would you answer you question above if you were purchasing a used gasser?
Buying someone else's problem(s) applies either used gas or diesel. However, since DP's tend to be more complex the risk is somewhat greater. We bought new and now only have to deal with the multitude of problems associated with poor manufacturer quality control.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:31 AM   #11

I tend to regard DP's as land yachts as in if you have to ask the price you cannot afford one. ;-)

I don't need to haul 10,000 lbs, like going a lot of places where a 45 ft will not fit and don't care how long it takes me to get up the hill. Just some of the benefits of being retired. ;-))
Old 10-07-2014, 07:42 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
I depends on your usage. Doing a lot of traveling or towing something big the diesel is the way to go. Air ride suspension is nice on them, air brakes and compressor outlet on many. Maintenance is higher. About $100 for oil change and filter if you do it yourself for example. Diesel engines when properly maintained will outlast the rest of the coach though.

Gas might get you more bang for your buck if you are a weekend warrior and drive a short distance to camp. When we looked for our first MH the salesman said you can count on about $10K more for diesel. You could get lots of add on toys for that amount.

Think about the floor plan before making a decision. That is very important since it is where you will be living.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
I tend to regard DP's as land yachts as in if you have to ask the price you cannot afford one. ;-)

I don't need to haul 10,000 lbs, like going a lot of places where a 45 ft will not fit and don't care how long it takes me to get up the hill. Just some of the benefits of being retired. ;-))
Exactly
Old 10-07-2014, 12:24 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

The basic difference in the engine is that the diesel produces its full rated horsepower at much lower RPMs than a gas engine (typically less than half as high). Less noise and less internal wear & tear to get full power. 340 hp is 340 hp, whether gas or diesel, but you don't get to use the full 340 hp in a big gas engine unless you are willing to have it screaming along at around 5000 rpms. Since most people are not, they make do with less power.

Engine aside, most diesel pusher chassis are stronger and sturdier than a gas chassis, so can handle a larger coach. They also have air suspension and air brakes. You won't find any 32,000 lb coaches riding on gas chassis, simple becasue nobody builds one with that much capability. Diesel power is better suited for big rigs and the price would be similar anyway. At lower weights and lengths, the gas chassis does fine and is competitive. Maybe even superior for occasional use, since maintenance needs are fewer and less expensive.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas