Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2019, 08:55 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Gas vs Diesel

We are looking at purchasing a used Class A motor home, but are unsure as to whether to get a gas or diesel model. Gas models are less expensive, diesel models have more power. What about maintenance and other factors we should consider? Thanks in advance.
fritz54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2019, 09:04 PM   #2

Other factors. Budget, budget and budget.

This will make your decision for you.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:15 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Most diesels are pushers, therefore much quieter.
Service costs are usually a lot more than gas, and most of that is the cost of oil as for example, my Cummins ISL takes almost 30 quarts of oil, plus oil filter and 2 fuel filters, one being a water separator, but oil change intervals are 15,-20,000 miles.

This topic has had thousands of posts, I suggest reading them and deciding for yourself.

I'm sure others in here will add to my post.

Good luck
sinterior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:32 PM   #4

The best way it was described to me was it’s like asking if you should use a half ton pickup to tow 12,000 pounds or a 1 ton diesel.

Will the half ton tow it? Sure.

Will the 1 ton diesel tow it with less strain, better drivability, better acceleration, better stopping with its larger brakes, less sway from the trailer and just do an overall better job handling the load? Yes it will.

With that said I’ve owned both a gas and diesel class A. They will both get you to your destination and you will enjoy them both once your at camp. If the journey matters to you at all and it’s within your budget then refer to the first half of my comment.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:33 PM   #5

I have had both and yes diesel maintenance is much more expensive, not a cheap date, but worth the extra costs, IMHO your more likely to replace a big ticket item like a motor/trans in a gas rig well before a diesel.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 09:59 PM   #6

Less than 5,000 miles per year in the east get a nice gas unit

Over 5,000 miles per year or with mountain driving in the west get a diesel, preferably with a Jac brake.

We live in the west with an annual trip to the east coast. 2005 diesel with 151,000 miles on the odometer pulling 25 foot enclosed trailer. Two oil leaks, one cooling fan controller, two trans oil changes and one blown exhasut manifold gasket, annual oil change, two trans oil changes on a Cummins ISL.

All the coaches are nice. Match the power train to the mission.
Eaglesview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritz54 View Post
We are looking at purchasing a used Class A motor home, but are unsure as to whether to get a gas or diesel model. Gas models are less expensive, diesel models have more power. What about maintenance and other factors we should consider? Thanks in advance.
Yep,
You'll get a ton of yays and nays for each. We've had each. Yep, there are benefits to each. Before you go being convinced that diesels are SERIOUSLY more costly to operate, maintain, own and more, remember, not all diesels are created equal. Our coach, which we've now owned for almost 8 years, is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP and Allison 3000 MH trans. It's been an outstanding coach and has taken us all over the U.S. trouble free.
Our CAT, takes only 19 quarts of oil, has one oil filter and ONE fuel filter with a water separator. Based on CATs requirements, an oil change is one time annually. I do all my own maintenance, oil & filter changes and more. I purchase quality oil on sale, as well as quality filters. The difference in cost between an oil & filter change on an F-53 Chassis and ours is not all that much.
As has been stated, about 99.9999% of your diesels will ride considerably quieter and, smoother due to heavier chassis's, tires, air bag suspension and more. There are "low end" diesels, mid range diesels and, well, high end. Just like gas units, the newer and more fancy, the more you're gonna pay. A brand new mid range gas class A, say around 36'-39', will run you way over $100K. A few year old, say, 10 years or so, Mid range diesel, will run you around $50K - $80K or so. But, with that 10 year old unit, you'll be getting a much nicer unit with much higher quality workmanship, better ride, CONSIDERABLY MORE POWER, higher towing capabilities, larger brakes, SECONDARY BRAKING SYSTEM, (i.e. Exhaust brake or Compression brake, depending on engine size), and much more.

Don't get me wrong, there are some very, very nice gas rigs out there. But, with very few exceptions, ALL gas engines are right there beside you when your climbing a grade, screaming. So, the noise level is up quite a bit. That is just a consideration. How important something like that is, might be different to each individual. We never knew how quiet it could be climbing a grade or, for that matter, just cruising, 'till we got our coach.

We have two different toads. One, a '15 Jeep JKUR and the other, an '11 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4 that carries our Honda Goldwing. That coach, handles either of those two toads, with ease. Yes, I know they're there but, it still does great with them. And, when I mentioned secondary braking, like an Exhaust brake or compression brake, those auxiliary braking systems are a phenomenal plus while descending grades, slowing for traffic, traversing down off off ramps and more. Your service life of your brakes is tripled easily.

We have 75% brakes left, after 89,000 miles, ALL OF IT towing. I don't expect to have to do any brake work 'till after 150,000 miles. Most diesels come with inverter/chargers that handle both inverting 12VDC to 120VAC for numerous outlets and, they also handle charging of just the house batteries or, both the house and chassis batteries, depending on how the manufacturer set things up. Most diesels come with larger battery banks, to handle larger duty, like inverters being used to create 120VAC.

These are but a few of the main differences. There are considerably more. If I were you, I'd simply go to an RV show someplace near you, and observe, test drive and analyze both and then you'll get closer to and educated decision. If you do it at a show, you'll be able to compare, in short time frames, as in maybe minutes, as to the major differences. Once you've got a hands on education for both, and have developed some parameters for a hunt, then you can delve into the private sector for your best deal. Good luck.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:06 PM   #8

Quote:
As with most purchases, you'll want to define your use parameters:
- How will you use the coach? A few short trips per year, or extensive travel?
- Will you be doing most of the maintenance yourself or having a shop do the work?
- What is your tolerance for complexity? Diesel pushers have additional layers of complexity, which although not rocket science, if you don't plan to use the coach a lot can add up to time and money that may steer you towards a gas coach.
- What if anything do you plan to tow behind the coach? If you'll be towing something really heavy, a gas coach may not have the necessary towing capacity.
Thinking through these issues and those presented by other owners will help guide you to the right decision.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:27 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We debated that when we bought our gas motorhome 14 years ago. At the time it was about $35,000 more for a diesel motorhome.

We decided $35,000 would buy a lot of gasoline so we bought a gas motorhome.

It's worked great for us and $35,000 is about what we've spent for fuel over the past 90,000 miles.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:01 AM   #10

Quote:

Diesel ride at least twice a good, cost twice a much for maintenance, cost a lot more up front so if it’s a money factor forget it.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:58 AM   #11

For us, our gas motorhome is working out quite well. Our travel style is 350 miles per day or less. I think that higher end class A gas motorhomes of more recent vintage are quieter than they used to be. We can carry on a conversation without a problem. Yes, there is added noise when the transmission downshifts but that is a temporary thing. If buying a gas model, just be prepared to spend some money to make some aftermarket modifications that make them much better to handle on the road. When we bought our Bay Star, the previous owner had already had Summo springs installed (front and rear) and a rear track bar. I just added the 5 Star Tune, which really improved the transmission performance. I'm going to have the Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer installed which I expect to reduce semi push. After purchasing it, we replaced the OEM tires with a set of Toyo 154 tires and then had the front end aligned. I went through the rig and tightened every screw I could find and worked on eliminating rattles by checking how things were stored....using foam sleeves between pots, dishes etc.

Based upon our experience with our Newmar, which we've owned since last May, I highly suggest you consider a Bay Star or Canyon Star as they are really well built and handle cold weather quite well. They are fairly well insulated, and our rig has been comfortable to stay in cold temps down in the teens. The AC duct system used is fairly quiet and having ACs with heat pumps has saved us from using propane. With double pane windows, we haven't had any condensation, even on the windshield. But, we are careful to use the ceiling vents during cooking or after taking showers to help reduce interior humidity.

We're not full timers, so the cargo capacity, which is less than diesel pushers, is not an issue for us, and we can certainly carry what we need for longer trips. I find the Ford V10 has more than enough power to pull our Malibu. For our limited budget, we can afford a gas motorhome. I think before buying a diesel pusher, I'd go with a fifth wheel trailer and diesel pickup truck. If $$$ were no object, I'd enjoy a diesel pusher.

As already stated, this topic has been discussed over and over. So, there's plenty of reading you can do on the subject. Do test drive a few rigs. Look at a lot of them and really look for the quality of the construction and materials. I confess that when we first got our rig, I was wondering if we should have gone with a DP. But after traveling in our Bay Star (just returned from a 8 week trip to Florida), we're happy with our rig and plan to keep it for quite a few years.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:10 AM   #12

Here's a few more thousand replies to this question:
https://www.google.com/search?q=Gas+...earch=irv2.com
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:24 AM   #13

When someone starts a thread like this you need to list your price point.

Example. I have a co worker looking for his first class a. His budget is around $100k. I’m suggesting he look for a newer gasser instead of a 10 year old diesel because i know how picky and ocd he is.

When you buy a 10 year old coach just like a normal home your buying 10 year old a/c units, hot water heaters, etc... things will go wrong.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:08 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Welcome to the rodeo, ah correction, forum and the start of your search. Many years of experience on this site but to provide you with sound advice regarding two very different types of motorhomes a little bit more information is needed.

1. What is your purchase budget?

2. What you can reasonably afford over the course of a year for maintenance or potential repairs?

3. How do you plan to use the coach?
a. Lots of short weekends trips during the summer with maybe two weeks on the road for summer vacation.
b. Weeks or longer out on the road seeing the country.
c. Sell off homestead and spend the next 5+ years on the road.

4. Do you think you'll need to tow more than 5000 pounds?

There is a lot commonality between a moderately priced diesel and high end gas coach once parked. Going down the road the diesel has the advantage in comfort and weight capacity. Very different care and feeding requirements of the chassis and powertrain. What is best for you is a difficult question to answer without more information.

Tags
diesel, gas