Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2015, 09:19 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa Miller View Post
You can't go wrong with either of those Beavers !!!
Have a buddy who recently bought a 2003 Beaver Santiam, its a beautiful rig. He paid $45K for it with 15K miles on it. The thing is so nice inside and out. Only gripe I had was it has white carpet and gold/brass trim on the interior, but the cabinets and trim work is so sweet.

Always loved a good Beaver.
DegoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2015, 09:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
If you are not going to be driving much, (staying places for months at a time) than I would get a newer gas coach.

If you drive anywhere somewhat often I would go older DP.

Dont believe all the "high cost" of a DP.
Yes its cost more, but you only do it 1/3 as much.
I am thinking along this line. I have had two gas engines, NO COMPLAINTS but while working the job I could only go out on the weekends or long holidays. We will full time for 5 years or so when we retire and plan on doing all 49 states and Canada. Yes it goes without saying I will be sitting here and there....ie motor "home" but I don't see many long haul truckers running gas engines and that tells me that well maintained, they are going to last and out work any gas engine in its class and that endurance is what I am looking for not to mention the ride.

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:23 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post
Have a buddy who recently bought a 2003 Beaver Santiam, its a beautiful rig. He paid $45K for it with 15K miles on it. The thing is so nice inside and out. Only gripe I had was it has white carpet and gold/brass trim on the interior, but the cabinets and trim work is so sweet.

I seen one like that I missed had marble floors !!! awe some Beaver
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 10:46 AM   #18

I sit and look at threads like this on a steady basis. The clear issue is the deluxe accouterments of a DP over a gas coach. If I had an unlimited budget I guess I would get serious about the DP's. As I see it all those "features" represent more ratholes to stuff money into when they break. Not if, when. The older they are the more likely something will need maintenance or replacement simply because it aged out. If I bought a gas coach at a reasonable level of trim I would expect to get well over 100,000 miles out of the engine and drive train. I am happy manually running a shade up and down instead of worrying about the motor on each one. Ditto a lot of other "special features". I'd pick the newer gas coach, a suitable towed, put some money away for maintenance and go off and enjoy what life I could while I could figuring I would be able to spend my limited funds on enjoyment instead of a death of a 1000 financial cuts to bleed my bank account. YMMV. HYOH.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:01 AM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Having had one gas Type A and three DP's I'd say in the OP's case a gas unit might be better. But his description of size and use puts him right on the edge of going to a DP too. I guess it would depend on what he can find in his range and comfort level. Lots of good units out there and lots of bad ones too. Sometimes even a close examination doesn't find a problem that crops up a few thousand miles later.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:11 AM   #20

I'm kinda in your same situation. I'm 58 and we full time. In my opinion I would by the most coach you can for the money. I have a DP and would never want to go back to gas. I wish I had a tag axle but I can't afford to trade so we do with what we have. I like the air ride and it is an excellent ride. It's so much better that the gas ride. The air brakes are also a must for me as we are at max Weight and the engine brake is something I'm not willing to forego. We have 4 slides and our living room/kitchen is wide open and very comfortable. The yearly maintenance is around 400$ and we have had almost zero issues with the engine/chassis. We drive about 6-7000 miles a year and it is easier to drive than my jeep. With my bad neck and back I appreciate the ride and the ease of setup. On a trip we don't hook up everything every night. That makes it easy and that equates to less pain for me. I bought new a 2011 Forest River Berkshire but in hindsight I should have bought used. I could have gotten so much more for my money in the used market. Live and learn I guess. Good luck with your shopping. I wouldn't trade this full time lifestyle for anything.
phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:33 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Love the Beaver Patriot! And I promise, this dealership is a quality, well known dealer, whom I'm sure would be more than happy to deal.

Man that thing looks clean!

From what I know now about motorhomes over the years, even though I could afford it, I probably would not spend any more than the this unit myself, cause I know the amount more you spend does not exactly equal better. That is one clean looking patriot. I'd own it for sure if it all checked out - i might change the couch but hey....
That MH is a beauty!
swoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:40 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by swoop View Post
That MH is a beauty!
Oh yeah , barely broke in too , c12 with 4060 Alison it would be awesome! I don't need another rig; but I swear everytime I see one like that I start looking for extra parking at my place !!!
Safe-T-Plus
Old 06-17-2015, 01:59 PM   #23

My career was truckin'. I spent a lot of time in diesel powered big trucks. I ran 80K + weight and lots of miles. When I went fulltime RVing, I could not justify the increased money and maintenance for the DP rig for my application. I will admit I am not the first one to the top of the hill. However, I have all day and part of tomorrow to get there.

I drive my MH approx. 5000 miles per year (down from 8000). That is about 1% of the year driving and about 99% of the year sitting still. I enjoy Mountain Aire ammenities during that 99% of the year while parked and shut down. Having owned two gassers has enabled me to afford the fulltiming lifestyle for over a dozen years.

I have driven Beartooth Pass, UT hwy 12, and many other 7+% grades with a car in tow. If my plans should change where I do hard pulls a few times each week or many more miles per year, my equipment may change. For now, I am pleased with the savings associated with my gasser.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:36 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by DegoRed View Post

yeah me too!...wait...what?...
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 05:55 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
yeah me too!...wait...what?...
LOL thats a heck of a price and only 15000 miles !!! wow
Safe-T-Plus
Old 06-17-2015, 07:35 PM   #26

When we bought our MH, we had discussed the gas vs diesel issue for months. For our traveling style we decided on the DP in my sig. We also bought an extended service contract to cover our AXX if/when something expensive broke. We have 14 months remaining on the contract, and to-date the extended service contract company has paid-out just over $4,000, while we have paid about $600 out of pocket.
If you choose to buy one, I highly recommend adding the seals and gaskets rider because if you don't, and a seal fails and leaks out your oil from the engine or tranny, causing it to fail, nothing is covered.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 07:45 PM   #27

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillandJane View Post
but I don't see many long haul truckers running gas engines and that tells me that well maintained, they are going to last and out work any gas engine in its class and that endurance is what I am looking for not to mention the ride.

WDK
Look up some of the Cummins ISX failures, not just on this forum but out on the web and you'll see that what you say just might not be true anymore.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 08:00 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Another nice rig 29,000 miles !! 1999 Country Coach Affinity 40 Priced at $ 85500
Safe-T-Plus

Tags
diesel, gas