Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2016, 07:15 PM   #1

Gas vs Diesel .. Exercise or not

Down sizing from a Class A Pusher to Class C.

Know that it's okay for a diesel MH to sit for months. Exercise the gen but leave the engine off unless you're going to drive it.

How about a Ford E450?? Same idea or should I start it at least once a month and let it get up to temp (help keep battery charged). Really don't plan on driving it.

MH generally sits about 5 months of the year.

2016 Forest River Forester 3011DSF
Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2016, 07:22 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We have a 450 pickup. It sits for 6 months while we are away. Seems to be OK.

Old 04-13-2016, 07:34 PM   #3

Put gas stabilizer in the tank to prevent the fuel from going stale. Run generator so that the fuel in carburettor gets treated too.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:44 PM   #4

I have a 1999 E450 Class C.

I Run the generator with the fuel line off, until it dies. The V10 just gets shut off.
I have solar to keep batteries charged.

Picked it up last week from 6 months of storage, V10 fired right up. Didn't try the generator yet. I will on the 18th, when I move aboard.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:47 PM   #5

One reason for running the generator monthly is to exercise and keep corrosion out of the generator itself. By putting about a 50% load, the generator "heats" up and helps maintain it's health. Putting a fuel stabilizer will help your chassis engine and it's solvent qualities won't hurt the generator engine either.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwwicks View Post
One reason for running the generator monthly is to exercise and keep corrosion out of the generator itself. By putting about a 50% load, the generator "heats" up and helps maintain it's health. Putting a fuel stabilizer will help your chassis engine and it's solvent qualities won't hurt the generator engine either.
Agree that running the generator, monthly is recommended.

I bought my 16 year old MH with 6 hours on the generator. Don't think it got the monthly 1 hour run.

I'm not driving 500 miles, once a month to do it.

Then there are the millions of dry stored boat generators not getting exercised monthly. The engines are sea water cooled. Doesn't seem to be a big issue on boating forums.

I weigh the risks and make a choice.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:58 AM   #7

I live in Minnesota. There is no way I am going to walk outside in the middle of the winter to exercise anything except for the plow.

The oldest seasonal gas engine I have is a 1970s John Deere tractor. It has not been adversely affected by 6+ month storage. The same is true for my '96 diesel PU. I also have a '97 gas generator that is run only during power outages and in the summer.

I do use fuel stabilizers in the gas fuel tanks and a micro-something or other in the diesel tank. I also change engine oil at least seasonally.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:12 AM   #8

As a snowbird, with homes in Fl. and Mi. that we rotate in and out of every 6 months, I can tell you I have "stuff" that sits for 6 months on each end. As well, we bought a very low time diesel gen set when we bought our coach. It was 14 years old and had 50 hrs on it.

No, not an "excersizer". I do believe in fuel stabilizer for some stuff though...
Old 04-15-2016, 10:00 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It is recommended to "exercise" the gas gen set at least an hour every month. A gallon at most of gas. Cheap insurance if you ask me.
Fuel stabilizer or not the carbs on these little engines get gunked up simply from the fuel evaporating in them from non use.
I had stabilizer and wasn't running it monthly. It started running weird when I did use it. Now exercise it once a month and no more weird running.
Do a search on here of how many questions are asked about poorly running, can't start generators.
Make your own decisions.
Old 04-15-2016, 01:15 PM   #10

I personally do not like to leave any engine just sit for six months. The first thing that will go bad are the rear main seals, they dry up and start leaking oil. Next is the fuel, not so much on diesel engines, but gasoline engines the gasoline on the fuel lines will start getting bad and it will plug up injectors, on older engines, it will plug up jets on your carburetors.

If you have ever had a boat, and most will sit for many months at a time, you will know exactly what I am talking about. I go through that every year with my boat and its V-8 engine.

In my opinion, it is best to use, or take it out for a drive at least every two months. Let the engine get all warmed up and the seals get rejuvenated.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 01:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez1 View Post
I personally do not like to leave any engine just sit for six months. The first thing that will go bad are the rear main seals, they dry up and start leaking oil. Next is the fuel, not so much on diesel engines, but gasoline engines the gasoline on the fuel lines will start getting bad and it will plug up injectors, on older engines, it will plug up jets on your carburetors.

If you have ever had a boat, and most will sit for many months at a time, you will know exactly what I am talking about. I go through that every year with my boat and its V-8 engine.

In my opinion, it is best to use, or take it out for a drive at least every two months. Let the engine get all warmed up and the seals get rejuvenated.
Had boats all my adult life, never changed a rear main seal or had a plugged up carburetor.

Stored them 6 to 7 months at a time in NY. One single engine boat, two twin engine boats and now my second diesel powered boat.

The rear main seal thing may be when they were leather or rope, but not anymore.

If that was the case, all the wheel seals would dry out too.

The gas in carburetor can and does evaporate leaving behind bad stuff, but not so much in air tight fuel injected systems.

Run carburetors out of gas and no more bad stuff. Or run it every month if it's nearby.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Had boats all my adult life, never changed a rear main seal or had a plugged up carburetor.

Stored them 6 to 7 months at a time in NY. One single engine boat, two twin engine boats and now my second diesel powered boat.

The rear main seal thing may be when they were leather or rope, but not anymore.

If that was the case, all the wheel seals would dry out too.

The gas in carburetor can and does evaporate leaving behind bad stuff, but not so much in air tight fuel injected systems.

Run carburetors out of gas and no more bad stuff. Or run it every month if it's nearby.
Sounds like your boat was Special....if a boat sat in salt water for a long time and not used you must have the special risers.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:15 PM   #13

Problem in the northeast is MH gets snowed in and can't get out for a drive. And although Ford recommends warming it up regularly, I thought idling a gas engine without drive led to carbon build up, which is not good. Is this a catch 22?
Old 04-18-2016, 02:15 PM   #14

Just to clarify I'm more concerned about the Ford engine than the generator as far as the exercise question. Let it idle? Drive it? If not reasonable to drive it still start it and let it warm up?

2016 Forest River Forester 3011DSF
Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas