Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2010, 10:19 AM   #15

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajudge View Post
Most of the claims of 10mpg for large diesel motorhomes is inflated. I travel with a friend that has a 39ft diesel with cat 350 and his gas mileage is about 6 to 7mpg. I have a 35 ft Allegro bay with two slides and the chevy 8.1 on a w22 workhorse chassis and it makes about 8 to 9 mpg. I don't agree with some people who claim if it is over 30 ft, it does not have enough power. We recently returned from a trip to Arkansas, and I had all the power I needed. We drove to the mountains with a toad and some of the grades were 8 and 9%. The 8.1 chev is far superior to the ford v10 with more power and better mileage. Chevy will tell you that the 8.1 will last 2 to 300k miles. How many people do you know will put that kind of mileage on a mh?
If I had to do it again, I would go with workhorse. Iwent from an older model diesel to this 06 gas and I don't regret it a bit. That jingling you hear is the extra moneyI have by buying a gas.
Maybe your friend should slow down a bit and his mileage will improve or change his air filter. We have had a consistant 10MPG over the past 7 months with 5000 miles of records. We drive 60-63 and tow our Wrangler. There are way too many variables to compare fuel mileage from one rig to another, even gas to diesel. How long do you idle, drive 75, lots of stop and go, have your genset running while going down the road, how heavy are you, are you running the proper pressure in your tires. Yes this is a can of worms.

Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2010, 11:24 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
2006 Alpine 34' (34FDDS)
Cummins 8.9 ISL 400 HP
Average Mileage - 9.3
CCC - 5,876 lbs.
Towing Capacity - 10,000 lbs.

Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:17 PM   #17

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegasdan View Post
Maybe your friend should slow down a bit and his mileage will improve or change his air filter. We have had a consistant 10MPG over the past 7 months with 5000 miles of records. We drive 60-63 and tow our Wrangler. There are way too many variables to compare fuel mileage from one rig to another, even gas to diesel. How long do you idle, drive 75, lots of stop and go, have your genset running while going down the road, how heavy are you, are you running the proper pressure in your tires. Yes this is a can of worms.
Dan is correct on driving habits. I have found the sweet spot for my CAT 300 to be 60-62 and yes it will see 10 mpg or a hair better depending on the terrain and traffic. My old gasser with a 454 Vortec would usually run 7-7.5 it's only problem was it was afraid of wind and semis. My CCC for this DP is 2500 lbs, just about covers the wifes clothes, make-up and shoes.
Bottom line is if you're interested in a Gasser, take both for a ride on the freeway and if you can, up a mountain road. Check to see what the rest of the drive train is, as these will also affect pulling power and mpg. Seneca is a real nice Class C and it comes with a diesel, check it out.

And finally as most of us know, if Momma likes it it's going to be a lot more fun. Good luck
sgtjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChief7155 View Post
If you plan your budget based on 10 MPG in either gas or diesel you'll be disappointed. I'd plan on more between 6.5 and 8.5 MPG if you average over 10-15 tanks of fuel.

The single biggest factor is the weight of your right foot. That's about all YOU have control over. Winds, tail or head, up or down hill, city, country, freeway, 2-lane help or hinder mileage BUT you are the single biggest factor.

As mentioned, the CCC on some rigs is skimpy. Be sure to check that. Winnie/Itasca does or did make a 34 foot diesel.
the CCC is an issue and will be looked at hard
maybe we just dont need so much stuff we ar as stated
looking at 2 -3 week trips so maybe we dont nwwd
as much cargo cap as full timers need but will
probably tow a vehicle - jeep wrangler or liberty
we are loking at the entry level coaches just becaus of
cost - realy dot want to spend more than a nice house
i used the 7 mpg gas and 10 mpg diesel just as comparison
allowing the diesel might get 3 mpg more than a similar
coach in gas - thanks ill look into the Itasca diesel
in the smaller coaches
Old 07-28-2010, 12:34 PM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
I know someone who didn't realize you sit while driving a MH and stands on the gas pedal...
Always-RVing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:18 PM   #20

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman_777 View Post
I know someone who didn't realize you sit while driving a MH and stands on the gas pedal...
And probably thinks it's a race up every 6% grade to see how many other rigs he can pass!
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:37 PM   #21

I think choice of engine is given way too much consideration in chosing a motorhome ...

We spend about 4 or 5 months each year in our motorhome ... of that time we probably drive it about 12 to 15 days ... and of those days most of the time we are cruising along on level or gently rolling terrain ... there is probably only about 4 or 6 hours where we are climbing or descending grades that challenge the powertrain ...

I think a far more important factors are floorplan and carrying capacity in terms of weight, space, and convenience.

When we are parked the other 100 days it is far more important that I have room to get dressed easily, take a nice shower, have a comfortable chair to read and watch TV, store my golf clubs, have a nice awning for shade while I drink margaritas, etc. My wife has a storage spot for her crafting equipment and likes to curl up on the couch and read.

This is our second motorhome, one gasser, on diesel pusher ... both have gotten us up over (and safely down the other side) of every mountain pass that we have attempted (even Beartooth Pass in a gasser).

So unless it is REALLY important to you to get to the top of the hill first ... focus on other things than powertrain ... they will all get you there ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:34 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Depends on the chassis the MH builder selected to put under the coach. A Ford 26k chassis with a 22k coach on it will have considerably more CCC than the same coach on a 24k Workhorse.
This is not always true. Though a chassis is stated to have a GVWR of 42000 lbs, this is just a matter of adding all of the GAWR (axles) together to get this number. Using this logic, the tag axle bus above that weigh in at 33000 lbs should have 9,000 lbs of CCC. But due to the weight distribution the front axle is already at the maximum GAWR. This leaves you with virtually no ability to load anything, less alone people. A current diesel tag axle will give you over 10,000 lbs of weight carrying capacity minus the weight of the assembly. With the way it is set up from the factory, the tag takes weight from the rear of the motorhome and much like a fulcrum, moves it to the front. Many two axle 40' diesels due to all of the weight in the back of the coach are close to max on the rear axle. So much for high CCCs

Some motorhomes have very good CCCs. But you must weigh each axle to determine what that number truly is.

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:49 PM   #23

In the 90s i had a 36 ft 454 gaser. I got 10 mpg pn freeways never exceeding 2-2300 rpm,regardless of hills up or down.
Town or rural was 6 or so.

My Rexhal v10 32 ft 2 slides(dont recall weight or axle ratio, gets 10 to 12 ,but usually 10. This is strictly freeway driving from palm/springs into southern california and up the 395 to Susanville 600 miles one way.
They both were good engines and as long as I drove with an egg under my gas foot,thats what I got. That covers 50 to about 60 mph.
Any side trips drags it down and varies alot.

I have a 4x4 A/T Econoline 350 Coachman fully self contained Van(factory conversion) Its a 351 windsor (gasser)and gets 10 mpg in southern calif . keep rpms same at 2000 rpm abt 50 -55 mph.
If I do 65 mph I get 8 mpg , City is 5 mpg+
Old 11-04-2010, 07:02 AM   #24

Fuel efficiency is a funny thing with motor homes. We had a 34 ft. Coachman with a Ford V-10 and averaged a consistent 8 MPG with no toad. We then went to an Itasca 35 ft. with the Chevy engine on a Workhorse chassis and dropped down to a little over 6 MPG with no toad. Now we have a 40 ft. Berkshire with the 340 horse Cummins and we average just under 10 with no toad. Our driving patterns are pretty much the same for all three units. Each one will give you a little different read on mileage and on performance. I will say that I really like the feel of the diesel over the gas, but that is just my opinion and you would have to drive both and weigh the cost differential and what you plan on doing with the unit.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:26 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Cunmmins 8.9L ISL or CAT C9 $20k
Not even close for a complete new one, but you might get a rebuilt block for that price. A used ISL from a junk yard goes for upwards of $13k, if you can find one.

In the EPA 2010 engines, the SCR (urea) pollution control system alone costs about $15,000.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:32 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For us diesel was just not a good investment for how we use our MH. We are not retired and only seem to get 5k-6k a year on it in a good year. We did ALOT of research before buying and settled on our HR 34SBD with the WH W-22 chassis. CCC is just under 3000 lbs and with a toad we average 7.5-8.5 mpg at 63mph. If we went slower we could probably get better mileage but not being retired, time is sometimes not on our side.

Bottom line is what your willing to spend to get what you believe you need. For us......we are not drivers but parkers, so a MH wasnt a good choice. We like the ease of use of the MH but it has a drivetrain, and sitting is not in there best interest. When we retire it will be in a 5er with a diesel tow vehicle.

mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote