Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2011, 05:39 PM   #29

an airstream without question. affordable. extremely high quality. well established with profound support. parts are readily available. service, no matter how old, is magnificent. their website is extraordinary. everybody else is a newcomer. airstream is the absolute standard for any form of rv. i have a 1993 land yacht that is so remarkable that newmar, prevost and foretravel owners always take pictures of it wherever i go.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2011, 08:43 PM   #30

I have had the pleasure of owning 4 motorhomes, a Class C Tioga, a Class A Pace Arrow, Damon Challenger, and the Discovery DP we are currently driving now, and I'm here to tell you, if I'd have bought the Discovery first I wouldn't have had to buy the other three. You can in know way compare, the first three to what I have now. I have not had the chance to ride in the back to see how much noise there is back there, but in the drivers seat the only thing you hear is the wind going by the windshield. Then there is the difference in power between the diesel and the gas. Not only does the diesel get better fuel milage, it will pull hills the gassers only wish they could climb. It's the best decision I've ever made, except for the woman I married.

Old 08-13-2011, 08:45 PM   #31

We're on our fourth DP. Our first was a entry level DP with air ride and we hated it a month after we got it new! Moved up to a American Coach and have become attached to every one we had. From the galley forward, extremely quiet and rides great. There is no comparison. Test drive a DP even ten years old and you will be surprised.
Old 08-13-2011, 08:55 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig P. View Post
News to me. What state are you referring to?
I believe it is a federal law, not state. Everyone in a moving vehicle must wear a seat belt, including MHs. There are exceptions, such as inter and intra multi-passenger busses and trains. Don't know why this is. Not practical i guess.

Jim E
Old 08-13-2011, 08:58 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairajays View Post
I believe it is a federal law, not state. Everyone in a moving vehicle must wear a seat belt, including MRs. There are exceptions, such as inter and intra multi-passenger busses and trains. Don't know why this is. Not practical i guess.

Jim E
Hmmm.... I'd like to learn more about any federal law mandating seat belt use. I'm aware that they can wit hold federal funds for highways if states don't pass seat belt laws but I've never heard of a federal seat belt law and wonder who would enforce it.

Thanks,

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:00 PM   #34

Alpine Owners Club
^ that's it, the Fed's gentle urging to the states. Now all (that I know of) states have laws requiring seatbelts, buses are exempt but motor homes are not.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:20 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
There are tons of suv,cars,vans and anything that moves come standard with tv's so that's not a problem. I think it will be ok to sleep also as long as the driver doesn't.
Concerning watching TV. Notice i said there could be a problem. If the driver can see it, it is illegal. All newer MHs, with a TV in view for the driver, has a power receptacle that is de-energized when the ignition is on.

I have stickers in my MH that reads "This seat not for occupancy when vehicle is in motion". That seat does not have a seatbelt. Why would it be OK to sleep in a bed without a seatbelt but must wear one if you are awake in the driver or passenger seat?

Jim E
Old 08-13-2011, 09:33 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Not surprisingly, it looks like the states are all over the map. I found this Seatbelt Laws and, if accurate, it looks like some do require belts for all passengers... some exempt anything over a certain weight... some exempt the living quarters of motor homes... etc.

Common sense should prevail.

rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:38 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger429 View Post
Maybe, maybe not. Do you know something I don't?

I have yet to see any police checking/issuing tickets for a sleeping occupant in a motor home.
I believe the law reads, if you are stopped for some reason, speeding, broken tail light, etc, and the police officer notices you are not wearing a seatbelt, then he can ticket you for that violation. The officer can not stop you just because you are not wearing a seatbelt. Also, an officer can not enter you MH without probable cause. I wouldn't bet money on this but I believe it is correct.

All that aside, I believe the seatbelt is a great safety device and should be worn by all occupants of moving vehicles. I would never allow anyone to ride in my vehicle without them. That includes someone sleeping.

Jim E
Old 08-13-2011, 09:51 PM   #38

Getting back to noise in the bedroom. On some diesel pushers the engine is under the bed and that makes it rather noisy and if the insulation is bad the bedroom can get warm. Other diesel pushers have the engine under a rear closet or bathroom so it is much quieter and cooler back there.
Norm4015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:13 AM   #39

Our Winnebago Journey is neither too noisy nor too hot to sleep while driving. My wife often gets a nice nap in while we're cruising along. It's that excellent Winnebago quality...

Not only can you sleep in a motorhome while it's zipping along the highway, you can also have a nice cold beer, as long as it's not in the drivers area.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:39 AM   #40

If you can't get up and move around traveling including going to the bathroom why own a MH. I guess I will just break the law TV on(In motion sat.),sleeping,bathroom ,and the best yet I don't drive 55. I would be curious if anyone has ever been pulled over in a MH and why start a new thread.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:03 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Noisy Engine Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkate View Post
It is VERY, VERY noisy back there.
Ours too, although we transported some WWII vets to a reunion Memorial Day weekend, one left the crowd and sprawled on the bed, her feet still on the floor. She slept soundly for two hours.

I think the key is keeping the genset running so the house AC fires cool air into the bedroom to offset the spaceheater function of the engine, maintaining a slow cruising speed, and wearing earplugs.

That is, unless you're already hard of hearing, like our friend Betty Jo (1944 class photo below).

*I use the CVS Soft Foam plugs myself with stunning results: they possess way more than the 24dB reduction of other foam plugs out there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Betty Jo official student photo.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	12911  
Old 08-14-2011, 09:59 AM   #42

I just traded my 2011 adventurer (gas) for a 2012 Ellipse (DP). The difference is like a Chevette compared to a Lexus. It is unbelievable. I fault our original salesperson for not encouraging us to test drive a DP when we weren't sure we wanted to spend the extra money.

The differences in a nutshell ... Bigger tires, better suspension, tag axel, rear engine, more power, smoother transmission, more weight ( the DP is 44,600 vs 26,000), etc. The wind is much less of an issue. I, however, have never tried to sleep while moving. Neither has the wife.

Regarding the seatbelt issue ... If you have an accident there could be all kinds of problems with insurance and liability if someone isn't wearing a seatbelt. When you got your insurance quote, did you tell your insurance company you always wear seat belts? They all ask and base their rates on your response. Your medical insurance might cover your medical bills but your auto insurance might not.

Tags
diesel, gas, quality