Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-14-2011, 09:45 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by Bobschle View Post
When you got your insurance quote, did you tell your insurance company you always wear seat belts? They all ask and base their rates on your response. Your medical insurance might cover your medical bills but your auto insurance might not.
I don't recall ever being asked that by my insurance company. Is this a new thing?

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2011, 09:48 AM   #44

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'm don't want to hijack this thread, but I wanted to throw in my 2 cents on the seatbelt issue.

I've been in law enforcement for 30 years and supervise a large team of motorcycle officers. In California, motorhomes are treated like buses....seatbelts are only required for the driver. The only exception would be the front passenger seat of a MH. If you're occupying that seat and it is equipped with a seatbelt, you should have it on. Once you leave the seat, you may move around the same as if you were riding on public transportation (a bus). Like in every profession, there may be that one officer in a million that disagrees, but this is the general consensus of the officers that I know and have worked with over the years.

There is an annual event called "Click it or Ticket." It's a federal program designed to heavily enforce seatbelt laws over a specific period. Motorhome passengers have never been targeted in this campaign.

Like others have said, if my family can't move around inside the motorhome while under way, I may as well go back to a TT.

2005 Fleetwood Providence 39J
CAT C7 350, MP-8 Programmer

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:01 AM   #45
Originally Posted by Tha_Rooster View Post
If you can't get up and move around traveling including going to the bathroom why own a MH. I guess I will just break the law TV on(In motion sat.),sleeping,bathroom ,and the best yet I don't drive 55. I would be curious if anyone has ever been pulled over in a MH and why start a new thread.
I believe the whole issue boils down to liability. As long as nothing happens you are OK. A law enforcement officer will probably never stop you because someone is walking around in your MH, nor will they stop you for not wearing a seatbelt. Have an accident, now we are talking a whole different situation. Your insurance company is certainly going to look for anything that would justify not paying for damages.

Jim e
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:01 AM   #46
Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
I can sleep in the rear when my son is driving, but my wife says my hearing isn't so good any more, too many years on construction sites.
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 12:53 PM   #47
Originally Posted by Pairajays View Post
I believe the whole issue boils down to liability. As long as nothing happens you are OK. A law enforcement officer will probably never stop you because someone is walking around in your MH, nor will they stop you for not wearing a seatbelt. Have an accident, now we are talking a whole different situation. Your insurance company is certainly going to look for anything that would justify not paying for damages.

Jim e
I never said we did not where seat belts, I always do so does front passenger it's just I think it's ok to get up and move around etc.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:05 PM   #48
Not only is the ride smoother, but easier as well.Last February while going to Florida I slipped and fell on some ice in Ohio and for two days thought a bone in my right hand was broken. The pain and swelling rendered it useless. I drove for two days with one hand and never once had a problem. With the class A gasser I had before, I would have been parked for those two days.
98 Beaver Monterey, 3126 Cat
2010 Toyota Matrix on dolly
beachboy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 10:17 PM   #49
The ride quality has nothing to do with the motor. I owned a gas powered class A that rode better than my current Country Coach Affinity. And that was a 1975 GMC motor home. The reason in general class A diesels ride better is that their suspension system is superior. And that is not just because you have mostly air bags in diesels. Mercedes, Lexus, and Bently use springs and they ride well.

The problem is that almost all gas coaches use truck chassis so the motor homes made on top of them ride like the UPS trucks they are.
B Bob
Country Coach 42' Affinity
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 03:58 PM   #50
I think the motor DOES have something to do with the ride. Our last coach was a 2011 Ford V10. That engine could not even get up and over a rise in the interstate for an overpass without down shifting. At that point the coach would lurch and the engine would scream to stay at the speed I had set in the cruise control (around 60 mph). Now, our new diesel hardly ever down shifts and when it does you have to look at the display to tell it has down shifted... No lurch, no engine noise. With the old coach, the downshifting happened so often that I seldom used the cruise control. Now with the diesel, I use it all the time. To me, because of the motor, the ride is significantly more pleasurable
Bobschle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:18 PM   #51
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by daveshan View Post
Most states have a law regarding the wearing of seatbelts. If DW is wearing a belt in bed while sleeping you're probably OK.

In case of an accident and she ends up with injuries from flying around you may have some issues with law/insurance etc.
I was on a jury once where an RV driver ran into a truck, his wife was injured in the accident. Nothing was ever mentioned about her moving around while he was driving by the defense, the plaintiffs attorney nor the judge.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:43 PM   #52
The DP ride quality as others have said is very very comfortable if your chassis is setup correctly (ride height, tire pressure etc.).

While I have never had the pleasure of riding in the queen size bed going down the road, others have told me that it is "way too comfortable" to justify their extended sleep times.

No heat noted from the engine in the bedroom with the roof A/C's running. In fact no heat from the engine noted once we are parked with the roof A/C's running...but this may vary from coach to coach based upon the previous posts.

1998 American Eagle 40EVS
FormerBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:01 PM   #53
Heavy coach is just like a heavy car, it rides better.
Blaster 22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:32 PM   #54

I don't understand the concern of law enforcement looking into you moving coach and seeing people not wearing their seatbelts. I know that if your in a car there is no way you can see into my coach, and I suspect others. I also ride with shades down to help keep the coach cooler. You can't see in

Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote

diesel, gas, quality