Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2011, 03:35 PM   #15

You can have a conversation with the co-pilot without the need to scream.
randco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Has anyone ever tried to sound insulate between the bedroom and the diesel compartment? We love the quiet up front and the great ride. Napping on the couch is also easy. I'm wondering if it is possible to sound insulate between the DP engine area and the rear bedroom.
a10koaksfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:18 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
I don't think there is much you could do to knock the noise down at all on a DP. I can sleep fine in the bed when my wife drives but yet she can't when I drive. I guess it just depends how bad you really want to sleep.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:43 PM   #18
GG1

Winnebago Owners Club
the difference is like night and day, its a completely different chassis and engine, maintenance is more expensive but well worth it, I had 2 gassers and 2 diesels and would not go back
Old 08-12-2011, 11:00 PM   #19

Stump Jumper,

The front is much quieter in a Diesel Pusher and the ride with air bags is far better.
As far as resting in the rear my wife says not overly noisy and certianly quiet enough for sleeping and not too hot.

She is a light sleeper, I have not spent any amount of time in bed on the road so not first hand knowledge.

Al Sawyer
'05 MADP
allynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:39 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger429 View Post
I don't think there is much you could do to knock the noise down at all on a DP. I can sleep fine in the bed when my wife drives but yet she can't when I drive. I guess it just depends how bad you really want to sleep.
Might tell you something about you're driving too!!
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 08:54 AM   #21

If you are concerned, sleeping in a MH traveling down the highway is illegal. Also, watching TV could be a problem.

Jim E
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:03 AM   #22

My husband & I are looking to buy a diesel rv. We can't afford a brand new one. We are looking for a used one. The problem is.....which one? Any tips on the best bang for our buck regarding makes and models? We want the best quality with the fewest problems (repairs). We know nothing is perfect , just want something with a good track record. Thank you for any help you may offer.
SunshineST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 09:06 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineST View Post
My husband & I are looking to buy a diesel rv. We can't afford a brand new one. We are looking for a used one. The problem is.....which one? Any tips on the best bang for our buck regarding makes and models? We want the best quality with the fewest problems (repairs). We know nothing is perfect , just want something with a good track record. Thank you for any help you may offer.
Mid to late 1990s Country Coach, Monaco, Foretravel or Beaver.

Jim E
Pairajays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:13 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairajays View Post
If you are concerned, sleeping in a MH traveling down the highway is illegal.
News to me. What state are you referring to?

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:38 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
Might tell you something about you're driving too!!
Maybe, maybe not. Do you know something I don't?

Quote:
If you are concerned, sleeping in a MH traveling down the highway is illegal. Also, watching TV could be a problem.

Jim E
I have yet to see any police checking/issuing tickets for a sleeping occupant in a motor home.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:01 PM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
Most states have a law regarding the wearing of seatbelts. If DW is wearing a belt in bed while sleeping you're probably OK.

In case of an accident and she ends up with injuries from flying around you may have some issues with law/insurance etc.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 01:34 PM   #27

Quote:

Jim E
There are tons of suv,cars,vans and anything that moves come standard with tv's so that's not a problem. I think it will be ok to sleep also as long as the driver doesn't.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:32 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineST View Post
Quote:
Mid to late 1990s Country Coach, Monaco, Foretravel or Beaver.

Jim E
Sunbshine, welcome to IRV2!
you might be best servec by starting your own new thread with your question, and be prepared to see a lot of "opinion." Everyone thinks thier own bus is the best, of course...

If you like space, you need slides. Availability of slideouts began in most brands in 97-99, and has grown since then of course. Nowadays most all diesel pusher motorhomes have 4 slides, or 3 where the third is a full wall.

I'll agree that monaco (monaco, holiday rambler, beaver) is a good coach, course I own one. Country coach is a cut above, Foretravel perhaps 4 cuts above.

But others, such as newmar and fleetwood are just as good.

And there is a whole row of more "entry level" manufacturers who make good serviceable reliable products at a more affordable price point.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, gas, quality