Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #1
Gas vs diesel ride quality.

I have always owned and driven gas powered class A motorhomes. I do alot of night driving when we are on the road and my family has a hard time sleeping while I am driving due to the ride quality. For those who have owned both gas and diesel pusher chassis, is the ride quality of a DP significantly better than the gas chassis coaches? If there is a significant difference, I may consider moving into the DP world. Thanks

2004 Thor Mandalay 38B
Stump Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2011, 08:25 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
In a short answer Yes... but that is assuming lots of things. Most diesel pushers have air suspension and that along with being a heavier coach provides the better ride. I have owned 3 coaches. First one was a gas powered entry level Fourwinds Hurricane 34 footer. It drove great, but you could feel every bump and roll in the road due to having a spring suspension. Second coach was a Coachmen Cross Country 39 footer. It drove much easier than the Hurricane and road much much better due to the air supension and larger tires. The current one we drive is a 42 foot Monaco with 10 air bags and a tag axle. It is much more stable, drives like a dream and rides much better. Downside on both the DPs is it is WAY NOISY in the bedroom!!!!

Ronnie (WD5GIC) & Jan (WD5IHU)
2003 Monaco Dynasty Countess 42' w/tag, 2012 Ford Flex

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:13 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
The difference is beyond belief, you just have to experience it.
Our first rig was a 36 ft pace arrow on a ford f53 frame. It rode like the truck is was, and that V10 screaming below my hip pretty much precluding any conversation as well.

The Knight is amazing, even with the wornout monroe shocks. Smooth and quiet, always.

From what I'm told, the big cummins under the bed is no louder or hotter than the rear axle in the pace arrow, but that coulda been just that individual coach.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:17 PM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
I've had 3 gassers and on my first diesel with air suspension. IMO the diesel with air suspension is much, much better in the ride and handle characteristics than any of my gassers. If I would have known this sooner it probably would have been 1 gaser and 3 diesels with air suspension.

"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything"
2008 Newmar VTDP - 3330 - ISBXT 350 Spartan NVS
Toad - 2013 Mini Cooper S or 93 Nissan 4WD PU
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 09:56 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

If the objective is to provide a better sleeping environment while on the road... pay attention to the comment above about how noisey (and hot) a DP is in the bedroom while traveling. I do all the driving of ours but DW tells me it's simply not possible to sleep back there while on the road.

Rick, Nancy, Peanut & Lola our Westie Dogs & Bailey the Sheltie.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 11:06 PM   #6
Monaco Owners Club
On our coach it is absolutely impossible to sleep in the bedroom while the coach is being driven. The noise is WAY too much. I have thought about doing some insulating work, but it's never happened. I was very surprised the first time that I was able to be in the back of the coach while someone else drove. It is VERY, VERY noisy back there.
Jim & Kate
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel
1995 Monaco Dynasty 36', 2005 Honda Pilot
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:27 AM   #7
If you get the opportunity, test drive a DP. You will instantly find that the ride is different than a Class A gasser. The noise in the bedroom of our coach when then engine is running is certainly audible. We notice more of a temperature rise due to engine heat in the bedroom after we have parked for the night. I think the airflow helps to dissipate the heat while driving.

Perhaps a set of earplugs could be used for the light sleeper.
randco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:49 AM   #8
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have the Koni Shocks plus a rear auxiliary sway bar and track bar on our 09 gasser and it makes a world of difference. I'm not saying it rides like a 300,000.00 DP, but the ride is so much better than it was. We just installed all of it before our trip to Myrtle Beach and I must say the first stop we made I got out and walked around MH to make sure that we did not get in the wrong MH, that's how much of a difference it made. 75% smoother with the shocks and almost no wiggle from the rear when passing or being passed by big trucks.
2009 Fleetwood Bounder 35E
Living the good life USCG
Todd, Cheryl, Allen, Megan & Kayla
Camping4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #9
I am not really worried about the noise in the bedroom while traveling because my kids tend to sleep on the couch. Is the engine noise on a DP substantial in the driver's area or is pretty much contained to the rear?
2004 Thor Mandalay 38B
Old 08-12-2011, 01:13 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
As is posted above, there is no noise in the front of my monaco, perhaps a squeek or rattle once ina while. (Assuming thw windows are closed)

The only time I can tell there is a running engine back there is when taching to redline, foot on the floor, in second or third gear.

4rth gear or higher, the cummins only makes herself known by that push in the back of the seat when the boost gauge goes over 30psi.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:13 PM   #11
The only noise in the drivers seat is the wind and the crunch of peanuts and the slurp of coke.
Idaowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #12
2004 Thor Mandalay 38B
Old 08-12-2011, 02:12 PM   #13
The difference is night and day and also the same difference in DP chassis. Test drive on a concrete expressway you will feel the difference I did. Quite in the front no problem watching tv and I've heard it wasn't noisy in the rear people have no problem sleeping going down the road.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:51 PM   #14
Newmar Owners Club
The ride is much, much better but the noise is much, much worst. A nap on the sofa is a better choice.

2007 Newmar DSDP 4023
Discovery is seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what no one else has thought.
If you want to see what man made go East; if you want to see what God made go West.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote

diesel, gas, quality