Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #1

Gas vs FRED

Does anyone have first hand experience with gas and FRED MH's? Can you provide info on differences in noise, handling, maintenance and power differences. Thanks.
pereztms is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2011, 06:54 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
No experience with the Freds I can tell you that our 99 v10 made more noise than the 06 and the 06 made more than the 12. All were V10s, they have lowered the engine and now use better sound deadening material. The last 2 both have been Itasca so that should be a good comparison. Even pulling the mountains we can carry on a normal conversation.

I have heard handling problems are more common with the Fred's.
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:02 PM   #3

my FRED is pretty darned quiet and drives like a dream... now keep in mind this is my first and only motorhome but I really can't say anything bad about the FRED's noise and or handling...
Old 09-08-2011, 08:45 AM   #4

No experience here either, but I guess when seeing "FRED" I think of the Bluebird Wanderlodge motorhomes. Many/most of the earlier were all FREDs, and they have quite a following? Point being, if done right the FRED can/does work well. I would hate to make a broad statement covering all of them.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:01 AM   #5

What in the heck is a "FRED"?.....
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:05 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
fred.......front end diesel
2007 Jeep Wrangler
codgerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:11 AM   #7

Just wondering.

Any pushers that are gas?

Y or y not?
Old 09-08-2011, 09:44 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_H_E View Post
Just wondering.

Y or y not?
I think Monaco had one, and Workhourse has a Gas pusher chassis.

RinkersRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by codgerbill View Post
fred.......front end diesel
Ok, I guess then I own one!
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Just wondering.

Y or y not?
Yes, for a while Workhorse built the UFO chassis with rear engine using the GM 8.1 L. A few of the coach manufacturers built coaches on the UFO chassis and I believe Rexhall may have a few left in their new/used inventory, but not sure.

They had a few issues with faulty fan clutch but corrected the problem. From what I understand the braking system on the UFO chassis was superior to most other gas coaches.

Driver could probably elaborate more on the UFO chassis.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Just wondering.

Y or y not?
ERIC: Workhorse Custom Chassis produced a 26,000 GVWR rear GAS pusher which they marketed as the UFO. At one time a total of 5-6 different coach brands had several different floor plans available. None of them were huge sellers....but it was not due to the ride, which was the best ever for a gasser, IMO.

Sadly, the UFO is no longer available-just like all the other Workhorse GAS chassis, because GM stopped building the 8.1 L motor and WCC did not find a suitable gas replacement. Today they only build their W-series front engine chassis using the Maxxforce 7 diesel, such as is under the Thor Serrano models.

Originally, the term FRED was coined by FCCC and Bob Tiffin, who was credited with bring the concept into the modern age (there were a few other diesel "pullers" previously), but I don't think there are any current models in production using the FCCC "FRED" chassis in the configuration used by Tiffin.

Strange how some of these things evolve in the RV bus-i-ness
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #12

fred

I drove an 11 serrano yesterday in orlando and was very impressed. The eng was quieter than my 04 winn adventurer and the handling was superb. Turning radius was outstanding. In fact I commented to the salesperson that with such a sharp turning ability one could easily hit a trailer that was being towed doing a hard turn. The eng had plenty of power and we took it up on I-4 at 70 with no issues. We continued driving around the city streets for about an hour carrying on a conversation in a lower voice than we could have in our adventurer. The unit was very tight and I actually enjoyed driving it versus my 04 which is bothersome in traffic.
I have owned about 6 or 7 motorhomes so far and can honestly say this was quite easy to drive. Probably gonna buy it if my honey says go!
anotherone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
I drove an 11 serrano yesterday in orlando and was very impressed.....and I actually enjoyed driving it versus my 04 which is bothersome in traffic.
I have owned about 6 or 7 motorhomes so far and can honestly say this was quite easy to drive. Probably gonna buy it if my honey says go!
anotherone: Glad you like the ride & drive. Just an FYI....Thor uses two versions of the Workhorse chassis under the Serrano, the W20D and the W22D. The floorplan determines which GVWR chassis is used, I think. Just look at the WCC incomplete vehicle label to verify the GVWR. 20,500 + W20D and 22,000= W22D. Same motor and tranny in both, I believe. Because there "might be" some slight difference in the ride and handling characteristics, I hope you'll get to test drive the one you are trying to buy. All that aside, I always suggest you buy the one the WIFE likes best

Good luck and happy trading!
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
I drove an 11 serrano yesterday in orlando and was very impressed. The eng was quieter than my 04 winn adventurer and the handling was superb. Turning radius was outstanding. In fact I commented to the salesperson that with such a sharp turning ability one could easily hit a trailer that was being towed doing a hard turn. The eng had plenty of power and we took it up on I-4 at 70 with no issues. We continued driving around the city streets for about an hour carrying on a conversation in a lower voice than we could have in our adventurer. The unit was very tight and I actually enjoyed driving it versus my 04 which is bothersome in traffic.
Do they have the looooooong overhang like gas coaches ??
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas