Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #43

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Like Sideroads and others said, we just let it stop at $75, then reswipe and finish filling. We don't like going in and handing over the card, so that little extra effort is fine for us. As long as you don't hit your bank or CC holder's limit, usually $400 or more, you'll be fine.

fixn2gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2011, 05:37 PM   #44

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave-r View Post
It is the stations decision, but the credit card companies set the limit they will pay on a fraudulent transaction to $75 which forces the station to cover themselves by stopping the transaction at $75. This became a hot topic in 2008 when prices went sky high and people in cars and pickups started hitting the limit they did not know existed previously. An old news piece from USA today HERE
The station isn't forced to do anything, the station chooses to inconvenience all customers when they are unwilling to accept any risk from fraud. So, when I run across a station that chooses to implement such a limit, I make my own choice to use a different station in the future.

Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:34 PM   #45

Rather than leave my credit card with the clerk I leave my CDL for them to hold. Have found in over 90 per cent of the time they will accept it with out a problem. I too use the Walmart/Sams murphy marts when possible using a discover card (rebate) to purchase/refill gift card (3% discount). As I can run at least 1200 miles before refueling I can choose my refuel locations. Due to previous commerical driving I have selected fuel stops that am familiar with
Old 02-16-2011, 06:44 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldChief7155 View Post
By the way, I use a Pentagon FCU Visa and get 5% back on ALL fuel purchases, not limit and does not end after six months.
We use a Shell MC that also gives 5% back on Shell gas and 1% on all other purchases. Some stations now have a cash price and a credit price, at Shell we get the cash price with the card and still get 5% off of that. No annual fee as long as you buy Shell gas a couple of times.

We also have an Exxon/Mobil MC card that gives 15 cents back per gallon and 2% on other purchases. No annual fee.

And a BP Visa card good for 5% off BP and 1% elsewhere, but must earn $25 in rebates and then request it (no charge).

Two swipes does it as we try to keep it over a half tank at all times. No big PITA as I am out there poking around anyway. I never leave my card out of site.

Bob
Old 02-16-2011, 06:47 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
ho old cheif ,me tool with pentagon credi card ,ant problem using it onlt at fly j .they tell me that credit card price is 6 higher .any comment .john ,dykedelta1@aol.com
Old 02-16-2011, 06:48 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
sorry for so many type errors.john
Old 02-16-2011, 07:50 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

John, that is a problem at a lot of truck stops in that they now charge more for credit card use. If you have a Flying J card (whatever they call it now) they will give you cash price when using a credit card. Since Pilot now owns Flying J then my guess is that the same applies for Pilot Truck Stops also. I do understand that the Flying J discount card and "cash" price was only at the RV pumps but according to Pilot that is going to be extended to the truck pumps as soon as all the new pumps are in place and all the new software is installed.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:38 AM   #50

Unfortunately, limits are part of todays economy. Some stations have an option at the pump to "pay inside with credit card" This will over ride the limit. If the station doesn't have this option, I go inside.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:33 AM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Mike Canter: thanks ,I too was navy airdale in 59-55 era .JD
Old 02-17-2011, 06:37 AM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
mike : one more thing,do you use your pentagon card and or shell at FLJ and get cash price or credit card price? I guess with .06 higher we still win with credit card giving 5%.off total .Does this make sense ? John
Old 02-17-2011, 08:12 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

I called Flying J Customer Service yesterday to find out where they are at on all their promises. She said all is good on the RV islands and you get cash price with the "RV Card" when using a credit card and you get the RV card discount. Then she said that on the truck lanes you can swip your "RV" card now and get cash prices with a credit card. Then she told me that if you go inside and do a "Start Pump" registration where you show them your "RV Card" and your drivers license they will validate it all and put you in the system so that you can also swipe your credit card and your "RV Card" at the truck island and the pump will start so no more going inside first. This one is new to me and sounds great. Somebody try it and let us know. She said that they are manually reprograming the pumps so you will also get that money back discount from swiping your "RV Card" at the truck island BUT this probably will not be completed at all the Flying J's and Pilots until March since it has to be done manually. She also stated that everything I have said that works at Flying J will also work at Pilot.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:59 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Then she told me that if you go inside and do a "Start Pump" registration where you show them your "RV Card" and your drivers license they will validate it all and put you in the system so that you can also swipe your credit card and your "RV Card" at the truck island and the pump will start so no more going inside first.
You can also go to their web site and "register" your card with your name and address. That doesn't enable "pump-start" immediately, but they say it will be enabled after you have bought 200 or 300 gallons. I guess they want to make sure you are a regular customer before they enable the "pump-start" feature?

I wonder if going inside to register the card still gives you the few hundred gallon waiting period? Or does registering in person enable "pump-start" immediately because they have seen proper identification and you are less likely to be a scammer?
Old 02-17-2011, 10:30 AM   #55

Can you pay your flying J fuel card with your visa???
Old 02-17-2011, 10:51 AM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stogie View Post
Can you pay your flying J fuel card with your visa???
Not anymore!

They used to have a Flying-J Master Card issued from Transportation Alliance Bank. This was both the loyalty discount card and a credit card. But they discontinued it at the end of 2010, because they "found it cost prohibitive to continue and maintain" because of "the recent regulatory changes required by the new Credit Card Act." They stopped accepting new charges in the middle of November, and closed out the accounts at the end of December.

So now they are back to just having a loyalty card. To make any purchases, you first swipe the loyalty card, then a regular credit card, just like you would do at the grocery store if you have one of their cards. So while you could run up a balance on the old credit card, you can do that no longer.

It was a regular Master Card that was good anywhere, and it was kind of nice to have a dedicated card for my MH purchases. But in the long run I think I'll be happier without it. It was kind of a rude awakening each month to see just how much I spent keeping the MH running and full of fuel. Now with it mixed in with my other purchases on my regular card, the monthly total shouldn't be quite so obvious.