Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-19-2015, 08:47 AM   #29
Just remind yourself of this when thinking about fueling up- there is hardly a gas station in the country that can't handle your 35' unit with toad. I can say this because I was in your shoes and I never found one. My 95 Bounder was 36' except diesel so I couldn't use truck stops because it only had the small opening for the fill. So (almost 75,000 miles worth) I filled up at regular stations and only once did I have to unhook. Even then it was not a space issue it was operator error on my part. Your 35' coach has an amazing turning radius.

Bill & Kelli 2015 Dutch Star 4366
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-19-2015, 08:48 AM   #30
All very good advice .
To avoid wishing you had a .50 cal machine gun.........never ever pull into convenience store [ 7-11 etc ] type gas bars. They are traps and bad things happen ! Ha , speaking from experience !

RIDER FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:15 AM   #31
We have started using only truck stops for diesel. I have driven very slowly past a few stations and realized that pulling in would be a nightmare with a very limited exit plan, so its on to the next. We did pull into a C store pump that was a hard right turn but the exit was pretty easy.
The more you drive, the better you will get at looking for your exit before you enter. With that said, we had two close calls in a couple of days. One was into a rv park that we ended up doing a u turn with some backups, and a 2nd which we had to unhook the toad.
Steve1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:36 AM   #32
Glad I'm not the only one with fuel pump anxiety. I'll ditto same advice as most of the others, look things over and plan your exit, do not worry about getting too close to a pump. Other people can maneuver around you easier than you can them, so let them maneuver.
DW now always dismounts and acts as a ground guide, and always takes her phone. We like Cosco stations if they are near our route, usually a straight in shot, and the prices have been cheaper then Flying J/Pilot even with the Good Sam Card.
We too use Gas Buddy, and the DW uses Google Earth to check out physical layout. This takes about 20 minutes, so start planning for gassing up at the 1/3 tank mark or earlier.
Jim and Valerie, 2005 Winnie Adventurer 37B, 2014 Subaru Forester Toad, hitches, brakes, anti-sways, autopilot, gourmet food on a Social Security budget.
"Wave as you go by."
Starsekr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:42 AM   #33
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Flying Js are usually RV friendly, but not all Pilots. I have encountered several where I had to use the truck line and those big nozzles don't work well in my fuel receptacle. I can use them but it is slow. I looked for diesel in the car lanes but some do and some do not have them accessible for our rig. Strangely enough, if there is a Pilot there is often a Flying J close by since they were competitors until Pilot bought them out.

I try to fill up whenever the gauge shows half full. Can't always do so however.

Propane can also be a problem. Twice I have had to unload the car to get to a propane fill.
Retired FAA ATC, VFW, LEGION, NRA (Life Member)
2002 Journey D L 36, 2013 Demco KarKaddy III,
Toad 2012 VW Passat Diesel
Lost little Bitzy New kitty named Oreo.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:44 AM   #34
Originally Posted by Dupdyke View Post
J rv islands are a big joke they put you right up against the front of the store and cars are all over. I can get into a murphy (wally world) easier and just go SLOW around the back of lot and out.

Can't agree. I do usually use the truck pumps because of the high volume pumps and the RV lanes are usually occupied. I have used many how ever and have never had an issue getting in or out. I'm 40' plus toad.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby
Full time since 2007
2003 Monaco Signature
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:11 AM   #35
Ford Super Duty Owner
What makes is difficult for us is the location of the fuel door on the coach. Coachmen decided to put it almost in the middle of the back of the unit. Why can't they put them on the side? We practically have to get within inches of a fuel island so the hose will reach. At least with it being on the side we could be a foot away which would help with the tail swing when getting out of there.
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:33 PM   #36
Damon Owners Club
I ONE time got in a hurry with my gasser and did not wait long tenough to start my turn. OUCH two bottom doors in front of the wheels. 6K worth of experience latter.
Mark & Shana Miller
2008 Tuscany 4072 DP
Go Gators
markmiiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 01:04 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
If we are staying somewhere for a few days, we scout the best option to fill up on departure. Sometimes we wait until after we fill up to connect the toad. If we are on the road, we usually don't unhook the toad on overnight stops, so we use truck stops.
Scotty and Kristen, Airedales Dagny and Wyatt
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528, 450 HP ISM, Allison 4000, 8 Trojan T-105's
2014 F150 4x4 Crew Cab Platinum 157" WB
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 02:36 PM   #38
In planning for next-year's trip routing I'm marking service station waypoints every couple of hundred miles and carefully checking them out using Google Earth. I've been able to exclude some that would cause difficulty. That idea is to commit to a certain filling station, then bypass the next one and then stop at the following one etc and never have to find whatever turns up.

Like twojayhawks I have the small opening for diesel fuel and can't use the high-volume pumps.

On that note, does anyone know if it's possible to change out the filler inlet without having to replumb the filler and vent hoses?
CG reviews & more - www.fugawetribe.com
johnhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 06:51 PM   #39
no worries just buy the book the next exit. all rv friendly stations are highlighted
diggermik85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 07:33 PM   #40
mark miller. Don't feel bad. I did this the first day after I got it home. Di not know to use the lower mirror. Took months to get it fixed.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:46 PM   #41
National RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
Also easier to cross a highway to get to the outside pump on the other side of the street.
(scratching my head)... what does that mean? lol
1998 National Dolphin 36' 5360 GM with tag axle.
Using my segway for a toad.
bud01234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:47 AM   #42
Originally Posted by bud01234 View Post
(scratching my head)... what does that mean? lol
Depends on where your filler is. If it is on the driver side crossing traffic to get to the outside pump puts one between the street and pump. If you pull in from the side of the street you are driving up you need to go between the first pump island and where the office usually is.

FWIW in the Northeast there are a lot of places where they put in a lot of curbing so one has to turn into a narrow lane for 30 -50 ft then a sharp turn into the pumps and a sharp turn out. It goes along with all the islands they are putting in malls to make parking a pain.

nothermark is online now   Reply With Quote