Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2015, 11:45 PM   #1

Gasoline Station Paranoia

Hi Folks: We just made our 4th "real" trip in the RV, this time with a flat towed Kia Soul. We had some issues, but nothing we couldn't fix after some frustrations (read my other posts). However, the #1 thing I worry about is refilling the fuel tank. I would say I am paranoid at this point. I get super nervous just thinking about it. I worry I will pull in somewhere and get "stuck", especially with the Toad. Anyone out there that could share seasoned tried-true plans of attack for getting a tank of gas? Do you only go to certain stations? How do you avoid getting stuck? What to do if you DO get stuck - especially with a Toad?

I feel like if I can get over this fear, RV travels will be more relaxing.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2015, 12:15 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Doc.... I always go to big truck stops. Of course, I'm buying diesel, but many of the name brand truck plazas now have RV lanes with gas-- plenty of entry and egress room, never a worry.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, 3126, '04 Element
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 12:24 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
After a while you'll be zipping the unit in and out just like it is the Soul.

Remember when you first got your licence and you had to park , now it's nothing for you to park that Soul.

Give yourself some time and all will be OK.

Old 10-18-2015, 12:43 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Google Earth the stations in the area that you plan on stopping at. It will give you an idea as to the size of the fueling stations and their driveways and stick to truck stops (Flying J, Pilot). Fuel stops take planning and foresight.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 12:50 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I begin looking for gas stations when my gauge rads half. I use my "Gas Buddy App" to locate stations and compare prices in advance for my best choice.
Don't rush into any station. First decide if there is height clearance and second figure out your route of exit from the pumps and back onto the roadway. Never ever pull in close next to the pumps as being forced to turn sharp may cause damage to your coach. Always allow clearance all around.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 01:24 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
All comments as others. And should you get stuck because of the toad just disconnect the toad. Above all, don't get into a rush. Stake your time a figure out a plan, notwithstanding other who may be blocked/waiting. Rushing will get you into more trouble.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 02:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
All comments as others. And should you get stuck because of the toad just disconnect the toad. Above all, don't get into a rush. Stake your time a figure out a plan, notwithstanding other who may be blocked/waiting. Rushing will get you into more trouble.
This is what I was going to say... Can't stress it enough, do not rush. Others behind you can wait another 10 seconds (or take a hike). And in the worst case disconnecting and re connecting toad is not that big a deal...
Old 10-18-2015, 03:59 AM   #8

Doc Vegas-

I had the same worries.

Here's a link to a recent iRV2 thread on this topic:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/look...ml#post2746530

I rendered my advice on post #7.

Mark
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 04:16 AM   #9
RV LIFE Support Team

x2 with Doggy Daddy and Vsheetx. I don't over worry price either. I try to always use an outside pump when at a big station for easier turning and no worry about the rear end swinging out. We are on our first trip. No problems with any gas station but we are careful.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 04:40 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We use the Flying J for all our fuel stops. They have an RV Island and most are an easy in and out. I know a lot of people will say why in the world stop there. They're so expensive. No. 1 I didn't purchase one of these rigs to try and save a few $$$$. On average they may be a tad more in price but the convenience is the key. As already mentioned, get the locations of the stops you may use along the way and go to "google earth" and look at the layout. It will give you a real heads up for when you arrive. A GREAT tool. JMHO! Enjoy and be safe.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 05:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
We use the Flying J for all our fuel stops. They have an RV Island and most are an easy in and out. I know a lot of people will say why in the world stop there. They're so expensive. No. 1 I didn't purchase one of these rigs to try and save a few $$$$. On average they may be a tad more in price but the convenience is the key. As already mentioned, get the locations of the stops you may use along the way and go to "google earth" and look at the layout. It will give you a real heads up for when you arrive. A GREAT tool. JMHO! Enjoy and be safe.

I agree with your reasoning and using Flying J. If you use the Pilot/Flying J card that is issued in partnership with Good Sam, you will, depending on certain criteria, get a number of cents off per gallon. Another plus is the discount is off the cash price. It may still not be the absolutely lowest price, but I often overnight there as well and ingress/egress is always good.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 05:46 AM   #12

Best advice for a gasser is to start looking at a half tank and/or mid morning/afternoon when the crowds are less. Curbing and forced sharp turns seem to be a design feature in many places that would otherwise be convenient. Truck stops are not always there when we want them. Also easier to cross a highway to get to the outside pump on the other side of the street.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 05:46 AM   #13

It severely goes against my frugal nature, but when gassing up my 33' Class A HR and 2005 Dodge Caravan toad, easy fuel pump access and exit trumps price every time!

Steve
Geocritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 05:53 AM   #14

Just survey the situation and if you don't like it, move on. When I had a gasser, I looked for station where the pumps were parallel to the road, that way, you didn't have a 90 degree turn to get to/from the pumps.
PanJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas