Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2012, 07:09 PM   #15

I could easily get of on a mental.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:22 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
These days you'd get sued into oblivion doing something like that, after you were arrested. It's a different world today.
I would take that chance! One thing about it the thief would (hopefully) have a hard time POINTING you out!
Old 08-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #18
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Bright light, siren, and motion sensor to set them off, or even triggered by the gas cap.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #19

My unit has a locking door to the gas cap but it is a standard RV compartment door lock and 95% of all compartment door keys will open it. Thanks to the RV industry dot that piece of crappo design to save a few bucks.
Dave
Old 08-13-2012, 08:27 PM   #20

I don't/won't live my life for some one else's convienence. I have put some tape on the door (very small, almost impossible to see) so I'll know if it gets open again. I'm just back from a short trip with about 30 gals left (80 gal tank). If it gets opend I'll have the police dust for prints and see if they know the guy. I'm also going to put in a motion sensor with alarm in my bedroom. If it goes off I'll have to check it out to be sure it's not an animal -- there are all kinds of wild animals around here.
Dave
Old 08-13-2012, 08:49 PM   #21

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my gasser, I had a problem lining up that gas cap way the bleep back there with the pump at the station.. This was easily solved.

I got a color video camers, this camera looks (From the outside) a bit like the peep hole lens you see in many doors. It mounts much the same way too.. The inside end of the thing though, instead of having an eye piece has two cables, (power and video)

you drill the proper size hole, slip the thing though wires first, slip the nut over the wires and then tighten it down.. Think it cost aroudn 20 bucks on E-bay.

Ran video cable up to my rear view monitor junction box under the dash, did a bit of cutting and splicing and now I line up first time every time.

Move the cables to another pair of ports and my computer's video card can record several hours of full color high quality video.

Imagine the look on the thief's face when the nice district attorney plays the DVD for him .. And then you get to sue him for the value of the gas he siphoned.. That's 10.00/gallon gas right.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #22

Harbor Freight sells a battery powered PIR set that works great.
On sale a lot for less than twenty.
Range is good and it won't false unless a pet or something wild walks thru the pattern.
Good luck with the problem.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:23 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr37 View Post
I don't/won't live my life for some one else's convienence. I have put some tape on the door (very small, almost impossible to see) so I'll know if it gets open again. I'm just back from a short trip with about 30 gals left (80 gal tank). If it gets opend I'll have the police dust for prints and see if they know the guy. I'm also going to put in a motion sensor with alarm in my bedroom. If it goes off I'll have to check it out to be sure it's not an animal -- there are all kinds of wild animals around here.
Dave

uh police around here dont care about property crimes. You getting CSI out to investigate a few gallons of fuel is laughable.

I would buy a bunch of RV fuel doors and install them on the side of the coach. Make it a funny game if youre going to "surveil" it.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:40 PM   #24

If they want your fuel, they are going to get it. Locking cap, gas doors etc

if you boobie trap with razor blades etc..be prepare for further damage as they will want to get even and possibly kick the sides in, throw rocks thru windows, cut tire sidewalls etc etc.

You have to out sneak the sneaks to win over them....vid cameras, motion lights etc.

I know this kind of thing really stinks when a person can not have their own items without them being messed with. I too would like to stick the ole pocket cannon in their face...but I don't want to be in the gray bar motel either
Old 08-13-2012, 10:43 PM   #25

Year & years & years ago (and many more than that) when I was in high school in a very rural logging area we used to borrow five to ten gallons of gas every now and then from unlocked tanks in a logging yard. Apparently we "borrowed" enough so that the company noticed and switched tanks. We ended up "borrowing" fuel from a diesel tank. I can guarantee you a 1949 Studebaker does not like "borrowed" diesel. And that's the last time we "borrowed fuel" from them or anyone else. I don't know if there is a way you can set them up to siphon from a holding tank but that would I think resolve the problem.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 11:20 PM   #26
DKO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I don't know if there is a way you can set them up to siphon from a holding tank but that would I think resolve the problem.
They would certainly need some Listerine "antiseptic" after that!

DKO
Old 08-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
check with the police...I'm thinking your probably not the only one getting hit for gas. Don't ignore the theft. The thief will graduate to a helping of your personal property in your garage and then your house. If you ignore a problem it tends to get worse. Go with the game camera.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:35 PM   #28

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr37 View Post
Dave
You'd be lucky to even have an officer talk to you, let alone dust for prints! They're so short staffed that they just have you fill out a report on the Internet or leave a report on a recorder. Thefts are so common anymore that only domestic disturbances, attempted murders and actual murders are about the only thing they actually respond to.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote