Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2017, 06:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
I have a DP and don't use anything other than 'normal' fuel stations, like everyone else, and that's with our toad.

It's about confidence, planning entry and exit, and knowing the turning radius of your 'train'... even the tightest of all stations, Walmart MURPHY stations are our regular go-to cost-effective diesel station of choice. In all the years and miles, I've had to unhook my toad ONCE at a fueling station, which was only before I realized that I actually COULD back up, though carefully and slowly, with the toad attached.
Same here only I found the perfect way to pick the perfect fueling station. I elected Sharon to be the one who selects the station, and gives it a "once over" as we approach and then gives me a thumbs up or a thumbs down. If thumbs up, she is plotting out best in and out plan. I can't go wrong. I mean she already does all the driving and all I have to do is turn the steering wheel left or right according to her directions anyway. This way I am never wrong
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2017, 07:05 PM   #16
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
We use a booked called "Next Exit" it list everything of interest at upcoming exits. They have a special notation for fuel stations that are RV friendly, which means wide lanes and easy turnarounds. They have a lot of great info about every exit. Google maps is okay but you may notice that some of the pictures can be years old and not much help.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:20 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Smile

I bought a cheap, $25.00, rearview camera outfit that you can mount on your rear license, I cut off the mounting bracket, leaving just the camera. I wired it into the rear clearance light on the drivers side. When I need gas, I turn on the lights, and know when I pass the pump. It saves me from having to open the door and look back. Eddie Elk.
1998 Pace Arrow Vision 36' w/460, '03 Honda CRV, FMCA #388823, Gateway Getaways RV Club
eddieelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:21 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Gasser + toad fueling tips needed

Go to a parking lot set up some cones pull parallel to a stripe, and with a onlooker and a tape measure figure out how much your tail swings and once you know that add a foot and stay away that distance from anything you don't want to hit. Maybe keep a small pc. of rope to check this until you get better at judging it. This allows you to turn away and in the direction you want to go from where you are sitting because there usually isn't enough room to pull past the pumps and then turn. I always use the outside lanes.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:26 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
We use a booked called "Next Exit" it list everything of interest at upcoming exits. They have a special notation for fuel stations that are RV friendly, which means wide lanes and easy turnarounds. They have a lot of great info about every exit. Google maps is okay but you may notice that some of the pictures can be years old and not much help.

Yes on the next exit it's great!
Old 03-21-2017, 07:32 PM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2489.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	269.0 KB
ID:	155626

Name:	IMG_2490.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	155627Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2493.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	155628

Name:	IMG_2494.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	289.0 KB
ID:	155629

Name:	IMG_2495.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	316.8 KB
ID:	155630
This is what I just added to mine. Parts was about $35 on Ebay. It helps with fueling and dumping your tanks. I hope this helps
Old 03-21-2017, 07:51 PM   #21

I was always concerned about having adequate space to manoeuvre out of a gas station. I always take a close look before pulling in to see if I can manoeuvre without backing up, which isn't going to happen with my toad. I usually top off the tank after camping and will have already scoped out a good discount gas station with easy access. I have patiently waited in line at Costco pumps so I get the best pump for egress.always remember that your back end will swing when you turn, you don't want to take out a pump.
MonacoMon09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:39 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndale View Post
Attachment 155626
Attachment 155627Attachment 155628
Attachment 155629
Attachment 155630
This is what I just added to mine. Parts was about $35 on Ebay. It helps with fueling and dumping your tanks. I hope this helps
Maybe it's just me but I'm not sure what I'm looking at so please explain

By the way, it takes plenty of patients and practice and when all else fails get the DW to get out and stand in the middle of the gas pumps to block that one idiot that just tries to whip in there and get in front of you while you are waiting for that one person that fills up and then goes in to use the restroom or do their afternoon shopping and leaves their car at the pump.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:49 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Maybe it's just me but I'm not sure what I'm looking at so please explain

By the way, it takes plenty of patients and practice and when all else fails get the DW to get out and stand in the middle of the gas pumps to block that one idiot that just tries to whip in there and get in front of you while you are waiting for that one person that fills up and then goes in to use the restroom or do their afternoon shopping and leaves their car at the pump.
I pulled it a FJ in Barstow CA. One car in front. Waited waited waited more 30 minutes.
Young couple came out of Dennys with doggie bag got in car slowly and slowly left.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:40 AM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 35 ft and pull a toad. Generally, we look for a Flying J, most have RV islands that are easy in and out.

When fueling somewhere that doesn't have an RV island.

One of the advantages of sitting high in a Class A is I can scope out a potential gas pump. I usually look for an outside pump that has enough room that when I pull to the pump, I won't block to much traffic, and I'll be able to make wide turns to get out.

I always look for how I'm going to get out, hopefully without doing any backing.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:52 AM   #25

Very good information, but I would add one item. Don't pull up close to the pump, leave about 3-4 feet gap. This will give you more room to maneuver.
olly72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:01 AM   #26

Welcome to the group. We own a 34ft. Gasser and tow a 2014 CR-V. I have never had a problem getting into and out of the refueling lanes. As stated earlier, usually try to use the end lanes when refueling plus the RV lanes at Flying J's. It is just a matter of getting comfortable behind the wheel and being confident in your ability to maneuver. Here is a web site that I use extensively and it has served us well.Find The Cheapest Truck Stop - TruckMaster Fuel Finder
Enjoy your RV and safe travels!
RoaminRichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:33 AM   #27

Stations in rural areas often have much more land around them, so everything isn't so tight around the pumps. They often seem to have the pumps run parallel with the road with easy in / out.

Google earth is your friend as well, scoping out stations along the way.

We also try to fill up near / at the end of a day of travel, so if we know there is a station near our campground that looks even reasonably easy to get in and out of we'll plan to fill up / top off there, and if it ends up to tight, we just unhook the toad there and drive both the last few miles to our campground.......

And in time, you get better and more confident on what you can get in and out of. And unless a station is wide open, one of us gets out to spot the other, and also keep an eye on the tow bar to ensure you don't bind / bend it if you have to make a very tight turn. Better safe than sorry - don't let your ego write an unnessary check for repairs. Last summer we did end up in one tight spot, due to a light pole; with me spotting my wife, the passenger mirror had a good 4"-6" clearance on the pole.
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:26 AM   #28

A lot of good advice here already. The only thing I would add is use stations with pumps parallel to the building instead of perpendicular if you can find them. they are the minority layout, but often easier.
sbleiweiss is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, gas, toad