Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2015, 03:34 PM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
What belanga and garbonz said. I had a 2005 Winnebago on a W20 chassis climbed the Rockys 4 times. Great rig. The 8.1 has lots of grunt and the Allison really makes it work. I love my DP and wouldn't go back but the Workhorse was heads and tails better than my Ford E350.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2015, 06:21 PM   #30

I am a 100% gm guy but if a ford v10want get you over a mountain you don't need to be going that way and I had a 99 the low horsepower and if they have a passing lane you will be going around those diesels except maybe the big 500+ boys I'm looking to buy my 5th rv and want look at anything but diesel no matter what you put on paper gas comes out as a wiser choice.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:49 PM   #31

In 2007 we went over Wolf Creek Pass, 11,000 feet elevation in our 2006 Sightseer with the Ford V10. We were towing our Saturn Vue. We were going 25 mph when we got to the top. We wouldn't win a race, but we made it. If I was going to do it again in that coach, I'd unhook the toad and let the wife follow. I have passed a few DPs going up Fancy Gap in NC/VA on I77.
I now have a DP, but certainly not because of performance. This one will do 0 to 60 in 10 flat. Minutes that is. I'm lucky if I get an on-ramp that's long enough that I can get up to 45mph before the ramp ends. Like I said we didn't buy it for performance.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 10:07 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I was a very pro-diesel guy and the first few motorhomes we had were diesels. I was pleasantly surprised when I bought our first gasser...except for the QC. The 2015 we had was a disaster, so I dumped it in favor of a 2006 Tiffin Allegro 32BA with the Banks system for the Ford V-10.

It's not bad at all. Everything works, the coach does well up and down 6% grades while pulling a 2014 Ford Focus. I would consider it a bit snug for full-timing, but we do spend a lot of time in it. Using the tow/haul button on the shifter does a good job of automatically downshifting to maintain speed up and down the mountains.

I also used to generally buy new, not used. The experience with the 2015 changed all that. If and when we decide to go for something else, it will be one that's already sorted out. Since the recession, the RV manufacturers seem to have lost their skilled employees and when the surge in sales came, they threw together some nightmares. Based on my limited experience, I'd stick to coaches that are no newer than 2011 models.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:19 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjburns View Post
I was a very pro-diesel guy and the first few motorhomes we had were diesels. I was pleasantly surprised when I bought our first gasser...except for the QC. The 2015 we had was a disaster, so I dumped it in favor of a 2006 Tiffin Allegro 32BA with the Banks system for the Ford V-10.

It's not bad at all. Everything works, the coach does well up and down 6% grades while pulling a 2014 Ford Focus. I would consider it a bit snug for full-timing, but we do spend a lot of time in it. Using the tow/haul button on the shifter does a good job of automatically downshifting to maintain speed up and down the mountains.

I also used to generally buy new, not used. The experience with the 2015 changed all that. If and when we decide to go for something else, it will be one that's already sorted out. Since the recession, the RV manufacturers seem to have lost their skilled employees and when the surge in sales came, they threw together some nightmares. Based on my limited experience, I'd stick to coaches that are no newer than 2011 models.

My 2015 is a disaster also. I just got rid of it after only 7000 miles. The V10 had plenty of power, would accelerate and would go up hill better than any DP I've owned. Like you said, the QC was horrible. Something would break on every trip to the point the wife didn't even want to get in it.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:53 AM   #34

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodz View Post
My 2015 is a disaster also. I just got rid of it after only 7000 miles. The V10 had plenty of power, would accelerate and would go up hill better than any DP I've owned. Like you said, the QC was horrible. Something would break on every trip to the point the wife didn't even want to get in it.

Who makes the QC?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 07-15-2015, 07:28 AM   #35

Tmw 188,
QC = Quality Control
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 12:24 PM   #36

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Tmw 188,
QC = Quality Control

Dah....

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 07-15-2015, 05:36 PM   #37

I was offered a new Palazzo recently with an MSRP of $212,000(+) for an out the door price of $160,000. After driving it, spending some time in it, reading just a little from others that had it, I turned it down in favor of our 2004 Sightseer. Not all that glitters is gold
MattTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 05:52 PM   #38

Given enough beans, I think I could gas it all the way through most any mountain range!
Old 07-15-2015, 07:26 PM   #39

I've had a gasser going on 7 years now and have taken on some steep mountain passes towing a chevy equinox. I don't like to strain the engine so I intentionally never went above 3500 rpm's or about 35 mph on a 7-8% grade. I never had an overheating problem. My vehicle is listed in my signature. If you stick with the few quality manufacturers you should have better luck finding a good unit. I often think about getting something new but my 32 footer does everything I need it to do. Good A/C, hot water, bathroom, queen sized bed and TV the in salon and bedroom. I have just enough storage for a 3 month trip and could go for longer trips only having to go grocery shopping. I do not boon dock. Water Storage would be a problem after 3-5 days. I would like a residential refer and my wife would like her own laundry washer and dryer but we have learned to live without those things. If I had to do it all over again I would get a unit with full body paint, corian countertops and full tile floors. I also like the new Ford Chassis with 22.5 inch wheels and heavier duty undercarrage. But I have not found the price upgrade to be worth MH upgrade. I think people sell their RV's to upgrade or they find they just don't use it enough to justify the expense. The used market can produce some real gems if you know how to look. Keep reading this forum. It helped me determine the quality manufacturers and how much off msrp I could expect to pay. Have fun.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:16 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Good morning all. I've been a member on irv2 for a few years but only read, alot of good info to help make decisions. My DW and I are now ready to buy a class A and we narrowed it down to Winnebago Sightseer or Vista. Seems like what we plan on doing will be perfect for us. After reading this thread though I'm considering buying for longer term. From what I'm reading the gasser's last a lot longer then i thought. Was wondering if anyone has a Sightseer and what the think of them? We're looking at the 35G mostly. If we wait for Hersey show or get a dealer to match prices we think it's a great deal to buy new. Any thoughts
Thanks
Pete
Old 07-20-2015, 08:54 AM   #41

'Morning Elks,

You are getting good info about the coaches and what to look for. As most have said, buy a quality coach and you will come out all right.

I did note that you said you wanted to finance rather than dip into your reserves. Have you considered loaning the money to yourself? Find the coach and toad you want, buy it, get out an amortization chart, calculate the payment at a reasonable interest rate, and make the payments back into your account. YOU MUST MAKE THE PAYMENTS! Otherwise you are just cheating yourself. Believe me, the banks will be harder on you than you will be on yourself, so let your DW collect for you .

As for coaches, we like our Newmar. A five or six year old Canyon Star will be head and shoulders above a newer but cheaper coach. Quality really does count.

Just saying............

Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:51 PM   #42

National RV Owners Club
I have a National Seabreeze, 2004 W-22 chassis with GM 8.1L Vortec. Tow a CRV.
Have had no problems up or down mountains. May have to downshift, but that's not problem. Just learn to apply brakes firmly to reduce speed, then rely on gear. That way you don't ride the brakes. May have to do this several times going down hill.

Just remember the old saying, which I learned from other postings, that you can go up hill fast as often as you like, but you can go downhill too fast only once.

Tags
gas