Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2015, 09:55 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttcamper View Post
Good morning all. I've been a member on irv2 for a few years but only read, alot of good info to help make decisions. My DW and I are now ready to buy a class A and we narrowed it down to Winnebago Sightseer or Vista. Seems like what we plan on doing will be perfect for us. After reading this thread though I'm considering buying for longer term. From what I'm reading the gasser's last a lot longer then i thought. Was wondering if anyone has a Sightseer and what the think of them? We're looking at the 35G mostly. If we wait for Hersey show or get a dealer to match prices we think it's a great deal to buy new. Any thoughts
Thanks
Pete
Hi Pete. You will probably get more responses to your Winnebago-specific question in the Winnie Owner's Section of the forum... Winnebago Industries Owner's Forum - iRV2 Forums Good luck.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2015, 04:18 AM   #44

We have a 2014 Vista 35F and love the floorplan.....the bath and 1/2 is the best thing we ever did.....it is easy to drive, the double door refrigerator and icemaker is great and we even like the leather L shaped sofa! No real problems so far (mostly our own ignorance about RV's)so you might want to take a look at the Winnebago Vista LX's before you make your final decision..Happy Trails to you.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:40 PM   #45

I have had Many different RVs...I Also Live in the Mountains and Have been Out West for some time Now...I travel To Florida Often and Take Different Routes to see More of the USA...Some of the Side roads are Not even close to the Grades on the Interstate Highways...Just because there are Towns on the Maps Does Not Mean there are Services at the Towns...

IF...You do use a Gas RV...Just Carry Spare Spark Plug Wires...I have had a Couple times that when going over a Steep Mountain Pass(in a Gasser)...I wasn't Sure I would Make it over the top...Slowed Down into 1rst gear and about 3 MPH One time...Just as I was going to unhitch the Honda...Then I crested and started to pick up speed...I had a Bicycle with Me and thought that I could coast down and then take the wheels/tires off the Bike to fit it in the Honda and just drive the car back up to the RV...I Had a spark plug boot burn through and the arch grounded out on that cylinder in another Instance (VERY STEEP GRADE)...They were New wires when I left Florida...NO Parts stores Any where...Glad I had the Honda Nearest Parts store was 60 Miles...Also...Carry extra Belts and Maybe even Coolant Hoses...I had a Fan Belt Break One Time...100 Miles Out of El Paso Texas...Again No Parts Stores in sight(plenty of big rig shops)...Had The Honda...Drove back to El Paso and Bought a $4 Belt...Most Nowadays are Serpentine Belts...However...Better to Have a Spare on Hand (cheap on the eBay) than Be Out in the Middle of No Where...Stranded...Because of a Fan Belt or Spark Plug Wire... Better to have it and Not need it than it is To Need it and Not Have it...

Another Thing about Traveling Out West...Be Sure to Keep the Fuel Tank Full...I ran out one time thinking there was a Gas Station at one of the Towns on the road signs...A time I had My Bicycle with Me...Had My 5 Gallon Gas can strapped to the rack on the back...ONLY 9 Miles to the Next Town...Well...After awhile...I just put the Bike in the Bushes sat on the Can and the First Vehicle Stopped and took Me to a Gas Station...He had Asked where I was Planning on going...He said...Oh That Town doesn't Have a Gas Station...Long Story Short...Out West there are STILL sometimes where there IS Nothing For a Hundred Miles...Just make Sure to keep an eye on the Map and where You are going...Best to fill Up After a Big City than to run out of Fuel...And Remember...You Do Have Water in Your tanks If You Need it...To Cool Down after a STEEP GRADE...Just Make sure to have the Right Hose fittings to have Pressurized Water IF Needed...Always Better to Slow Down than To get TOO Hot and Blow a Hose or Worse...
Old 07-21-2015, 05:50 PM   #46

Some guys have all the luck.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 08:17 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttcamper View Post
Good morning all. I've been a member on irv2 for a few years but only read, alot of good info to help make decisions. My DW and I are now ready to buy a class A and we narrowed it down to Winnebago Sightseer or Vista. Seems like what we plan on doing will be perfect for us. After reading this thread though I'm considering buying for longer term. From what I'm reading the gasser's last a lot longer then i thought. Was wondering if anyone has a Sightseer and what the think of them? We're looking at the 35G mostly. If we wait for Hersey show or get a dealer to match prices we think it's a great deal to buy new. Any thoughts
Thanks
Pete
Our 2004 Sightseer 35N is the first and only motorhome of any kind that we have owned. We bought it used 2 years ago, it had 38K miles on it and the generator had 95 hours of run time. Everything worked and ran just fine as it's supposed to, no leaks. Home base is just NE of Tulsa Oklahoma. We've taken it to Rutherfordton, NC. then to Springfield Arkansas, then to Troy Montana, and have just returned from Crater of Diamonds State Park in the Ouachita Mountains of Arkansas. Everywhere we go there have been mountains with 6 and 7% grades with winding twisting roads testing engine, trans, brakes, and driver. We travel with 2 dogs and tow a Dodge RAM 1500 that weighs 5460 pounds. The hitch was beefed up by a certified hitch shop and towed braking is provided by a Brake Buddy. I have added a Safe-T-Plus 41-230 steering stabilizer and a pretty good solar system, our goal is to stop anywhere, any time, and everything works

Thus far the Sightseer has not been and is not the limiting factor, we are. I don't see that changing, possibly ever.

Safe Travels!
MattTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:20 PM   #48

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just got back from an 8,500 mile trip that included several Rocky Mountain states. I agree with most of the other responders. Our Challenger V10 had no problems and we are towing a Ford Explorer. A couple of suggestions:

1. It isn't 45mph on those really steep mountain grades it is more like 35 mph. No problem though. Not sure if you will be taking US 16 into Ten Sleep WY but be prepared - it is a long slow go but beautiful.

2. The Tow/Haul function works great. After what I call the real mountains (vs some mountains like those in Tennessee or North Carolina), a good dependable supplemental brake system is a must in your toad. The piece of junk AutoStop was worthless, put in a BrakeBuddy and feel safe again.

Figure out what you want relative to features, how much you can afford - then go find it. Don't worry about the gassers, unless there are a lot of RVers that are pretending on the highway.

Enjoy!

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas