Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-12-2014, 08:39 PM   #1

Question GEICO Insurance

Started doing some comparison shopping on insurance. I currently have the MH with Progressive and cars with USAA. (USAA no longer insures motorhomes). I called GEICO and got what seems to be a real money saver when I combine the MH and 1 car with them. So, I am wondering about other folks experience with GEICO... good or bad (?)

David
2013 Vista 27N
dwaugh10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2014, 08:50 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
my brother owns a high end body shop and says Geico is one of the worst companies to work with from their standpoint and the customers...
Old 06-12-2014, 08:58 PM   #3

I have all (3) of my cars with Geico. I had a vehicle totalled 18 months ago and was very impressed with how it was handled. That may have been because it was not my fault. Maybe would have been handled differently if it had been my fault.
I currently have the MH with National General but the latest renewal has increased $95 per 6 months to $750 so went shopping. Geico is slightly higher at about $780 but Progressive is about $625. I'm switching to Progressive. A few months ago when the cars were due for renewal, I shopped around but couldn't find anyone cheaper than Geico.
chawkins99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:29 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
FWIW, Geico is one of the toughest companies out there to negotiate claims with. So, it depends on what's important to you.
courtjester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:36 PM   #5

My USAA proved to be cheapest, but my decision is based on their customer service.
Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:15 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I had GEICO but had to drop them when I got the new MH. They don't have lost replacement for MH's over $100K. Seem kind of dumb to me since most MH's cost over that and those of us with MH's over $100K would like to get it replaced is something happened to it.
Old 06-13-2014, 12:50 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When our insurance stopped insuring motorhomes we went with Allied a division of nationwide. They were the only ones that would give me agreed value. I am upside down on my coach & I wanted it insured for an amount that would pay off my loan & give me additional monies for a down payment if my coach was totaled. It cost more but I am willing to pay for that security. We had a slight accident last year we were the only
Vehicle involved they were pretty easy to deal with
Diane98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:42 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I have GEICO insurance for all my vehicles, 1 car, 1 minivan, 1 pickup and now my MH. They have always been easy to work with when on either side of the fault. I think price is based on your accident record, credit score and personal information. My insurance prices seem to be inline with others so I'm pleased with Geico.
Mason Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 06:46 AM   #9

Had Geico for over 7 years and have had no issues. I have had to use their roadside assistance 3 times and had very quick response. May not be the cheapest, but I would recommend them to anyone and have.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 07:23 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Just make sure you're comparing "apples to apples".

When I requested a quote from GIECO I gave them the same limits and parameters I'd given every other company I contacted. They came back at about 1/2 the others - without bothering to mention they do not offer replacement cost coverage. If I hadn't insisted on confirming the coverage included in their offer...

It's been some years since I worked the auto claim desk but I can tell you, GIECO was not my favorite company to work with. My impression was they'd always start with an offer they knew was low ball/bogus hoping you'd cave rather than put in the work to pursue it. I don't remember ever losing a case I filed against them (through arbitration, insurance companies don't generally sue one another).
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:41 PM   #11

Thanks for the replies. Something to note, GEICO is quoting the policy with a replacement cost option. Maybe they don't offer it in some states(?)

David
2013 Vista 27N
dwaugh10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:36 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaugh10 View Post
Thanks for the replies. Something to note, GEICO is quoting the policy with a replacement cost option. Maybe they don't offer it in some states(?)

David
2013 Vista 27N
Or maybe they've added it to their product line since I last got a quote from them?
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 04:30 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
We've had Geico for many years too. Processed a few claims with no issues. We do have replacement on the MH included in the insurance.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:28 PM   #14
HHg

I'm with Geico.....saved a small fortune. I moved auto's, RV, home, rental and business liability to them. I can't speak to how they handle claims, as I've never claimed anything in all my years of RV ownership.....but I love their rates!!

Hhg
HHg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance