Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2016, 12:16 PM   #15

OK my limited new knowledge from my " insider", who by the way is checking on some GEICO specific info is this:
Your policy limits are governed by the state in which your vehicle is "garaged". That is where it is registered. Every state is governed by its own insurance laws, which all insurance company must abide, to write policy in that state.
In this case if you have unlimited towing ( miles and or cost) its because that is the law set forth by your state insurance regulatory board.
It does not matter where in the country you may be located at the time of needed service
A good example is that OUR vehicles are garaged in South Dakota. The laws in that state apply to how a claim is handled no matter where I am. A few years ago our truck was damaged by an uninsured person while in another state. !. SD law about uninsured/ underinsured motorist was very different than what we were accustomed to. In the end GEICO paid our claim and went after the other guy. We had to pay the $500 deductible with the caveat that GEICO legally went after the other motorist to adjudicate the claim. Any moneys collected from that motorist were applied first to refunding our deductible and the rest went to refunding GEICO. I will tell you that GEICO was very aggressive.
As to communicating with the call center about your road service needs that research is one of the things being inquired about.
Hopefully this will clear up part of the issue.

Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2016, 01:16 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to Johnitis Send a message via MSN to Johnitis Send a message via Yahoo to Johnitis
Your insider is not entirely correct. Roadside assistance and uninsured motorist are two totally different cans of worms. Roadside assistance, like rental reimbursement, is elective and would have the same limitations and restrictions in Florida or South Dakota.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana25K View Post
OK my limited new knowledge from my " insider", who by the way is checking on some GEICO specific info is this:
Your policy limits are governed by the state in which your vehicle is "garaged".

Old 05-05-2016, 01:29 AM   #17

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
I think it depends a lot on which motorhome you have. A heavier 'bus' type motorhome is no match for many of the tow trucks that are dispatched by a lot of the insurance companies. I had a blow out several years ago and my insurance company (progressive), dispatched a small truck. what a joke! I now have Coach Net for the road side service. I still shop around for the best insurance, but I tell them I don't want the road side service option.
This is the truck CN sent and even the driver said it was too small. They had to call in a second truck to help this one lift the stinger into position. Driver said he had to go slow as his front tires were coming off the ground on the bridge ends. Our front axle weighs just under 18,000#'s with us out of the rig.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150309_153253.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	297.3 KB
ID:	126092  
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:03 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnitis View Post
Your insider is not entirely correct. Roadside assistance and uninsured motorist are two totally different cans of worms. Roadside assistance, like rental reimbursement, is elective and would have the same limitations and restrictions in Florida or South Dakota.
I used that only as an example.
Just to back it up I called GEICO myself and asked if my road side assistance limitations would be different if I changed my garaged location to FL. Yep, different
Go figure
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:00 PM   #19

Here's an update to what's becoming a saga. The tow service was to arrive between 9am and noon. I called the towing service at 11am to get an idea as to when they thought they might be here. The fellow who answered said he didn't know about a tow, but would check with the dispatcher and call me back. I waited 15 minutes and called GEICO at 11:15am to check on the status of our tow. I was put on hold; back she came saying they would be here in "75 minutes". Whut?? That would put it at 12:30. The truck driver called at 12:50pm saying he couldn't find our location, his GPS of course took him some weird way. I finally got him back on track and he arrived at 1pm - in a small auto wrecker. He said he couldn't tow our MH. I said either you guys didn't get the instructions from GEICO or you guys didn't follow the instructions. I said thanks, GEICO will get back to you. Off he went.

I called GEICO at 1:10pm. She was surprised that they had not sent a big truck, so I do not know who dropped the ball. She said she would contact them or find another service to come out and call me back. I told her it is not an emergency, but I do want to get this done soon, and just let me know when they are coming. She said I don't have to be here for them to tow. I assured her I did. It is now about 8pm and I have not heard back from GEICO. I'll let y'all know more as things progress.
Old 05-05-2016, 08:07 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have had Geico insurance for 7years we have used there roadside assistance 3 times including our 40 motorhome broke down in the middle of nowhere in Alabama. They towed us 40 miles to Birmingham and the bill was $1000 alll we had to do was sign. Could not be happier.
Old 05-06-2016, 12:17 AM   #21

Send a message via AIM to Johnitis Send a message via MSN to Johnitis Send a message via Yahoo to Johnitis
Yeah, go figure, because from California, to Illinois, Wisconsin, and back to California, ours has never changed over the past 16 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nana25K View Post
I used that only as an example.
Just to back it up I called GEICO myself and asked if my road side assistance limitations would be different if I changed my garaged location to FL. Yep, different
Go figure
Old 05-24-2016, 10:39 AM   #22

Update on our Geico tow: On May 13th, having not heard from either Geico or the towing company in over a week I called Geico. Again, they profusely apologized and said they would get another towing company. The new towing company was to arrive on Monday at 9am. Great! On Monday I wait until 10:30am and called Geico. They called and said the tow would be here in 45 min. 10 minutes later the tow company called saying he had just signed with Geico 2 weeks ago and would be happy to tow us today but his truck was on another call to Georgetown, TX. That's over 3hrs one-way without traffic! I explained that the repair shop closed their gates at 4:30pm. He said he thinks they could make it in time, but as the tow got closer he would call me. I asked him if they weren't going to make it this day could they make it the next at the same time? He said he would call to let me know. Guess what, no call that day or the next. I actually got an email from Geico that next day asking me to review my tow. I have not replied. In the meantime I received a call from the nursing home (over 2 hrs. away) where my mother was saying she had taken a turn for the worse. Since I wasn't expecting anything to happen on the tow situation I left. When I returned Friday I called Geico again. They were once again surprised and apologetic. We set up another Tuesday 9am tow with the same company. YEA!! It finally arrived with the proper equipment at 10:30am.

I asked what had happened the previous time. The driver said it was raining all of those days and they weren't sure they could get me out. Huh? It didn't rain at our house. She's in her dock and we have a gravel drive off of a paved road off of I-20. I did not respond. The driver was backing into our property down the drive when I stopped him and suggested an easier way to get into position, but he chose to back up for the 1/8 mile. It took nearly 20 min before he was near a position to tow. He asked if I could drive her out because he wanted to tow from the rear bumper. I said no. He said he could tow from the front with the automatic transmission in N. I told him he was going to tow from the front and disconnect the drive shaft. I then said I would be happy to use the jacks to raise her up in the dock so he could do so. He said no, he would pull her out first and then do it. Go figure. After he hooked up and pulled her out, I received a call on my cell phone from the towing company asking if they could speak to the driver; his phone was saying no service. I guess it doesn't go a far as my service. They told him he had to be at a place about 1hr 10min away in an hour, so drop the tow and leave. He said he would drop her there and come back a get her later. I said he's already hooked up and the shaft is loose, so he is going to complete the job now. I guess I must have been a little intimidating because he did it. I told hime he could have his boss call me if he had a problem. We arrived at the repair shop at 12:30pm. In the process of backing her in he went across an indention and caught a mud flat behind the duellies and pulled it off - at the welds. He had not gotten out to check behind. He dropped her, apologized, and quickly left. I actually signed nothing! During the 30 mile journey (that took over 3 weeks), I tried to follow him to the shop. He exceeded 80mph on the interstate! I risked videoing the times we exceeded 75mph, passing trucks and cars. I was praying the tires didn't blow.

With this adventure being over for now, I would like to make the following observations. Geico was good about quickly responding each time. However, they were horrible about following up with the towing companies or me. I have the sense the towing companies they chose really didn't have their heart in towing at a negotiated price and were ready, even hoping for any call from elsewhere that paid better. To me, a commitment is a commitment, and I suspect that's what happened all those other times we had a scheduled appointment. There are plenty of other tow jobs out there, so it wasn't as if they were missing one. Besides, if they did a fantastic job they would not be fighting for work, they would be first choice. Bottom line, you have to be persistent with Geico. I'll relate my experience to them with the hope they will improve for those others who may need them. Good travels all.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:24 PM   #23

What an awful experience. I'm sorry but hopefully you can get things fixed now.
Old 05-26-2016, 07:19 AM   #24

Thanks, RVLola. BTW, I do not recall signing anything either at the pick up or drop off. Maybe the tow didn't happen and I only dreamed it.

The shop she is at has already repaired the ripped-off mudflap. They called to let me know they were working on her and would figure out what caused the brake failure. I'll give a report later.

Tags
service