Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2016, 10:26 AM   #1

GEICO RV Insurance Policy

I have a question for other RV owners currently insured with GEICO on policy term lengths. I recently switched to GEICO in June of this year and I guess I mistakenly understood that my policy would be for the standard 1 year coverage. However, when I examined my insurance card today I noticed that my policy is effective until 12-7-2016 (only 6 months). I just assumed that all policies were for a 1 year period and I don't recall the GEICO agent making me aware that my policy would be for a 6 month period. My wife and I are not full timers but we do use our RV year round and the longest period of use is in the winter months when we become "snow birds". I talked to a GEICO agent today and she told me that all insurance companies have different operating procedures but their policies on RV coverage are for 6 month periods and at the end of my 6 months, my policy could go up or down, depending on what each state does. I thought I was satisfied with GEICO up until today, but I might have to re-evaluate. Has anyone else currently with GEICO experienced this same issue?
Thanks,
Dave
dlduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2016, 10:36 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Lots of them have gone to 6 month policies as a way to hide their rates. People (like the OP) think they are buying a 1 yr policy at a good price, then find out it was for only 6 months! As the agent said, they can juggle the prices sooner (usually up). Just another way to make more money. My policy is through AARP with The Hartford and is a one yr policy. Saved me some $1,500 over National General.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:44 AM   #3

Our policy is for 1 year at a time through USAA. If you're a veteran, USAA offers great RV insurance.
Crock2Crock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:02 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had GEICO for my cars for over 30 years and now on my RV. GEICO switched to 6 month policies many years ago. It is not just specific to RVs.
Janet59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:11 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I have had GEICO for 15 years, have always had the 6 month policy period, and they have never changed the premiums in the middle of the year. But I do see how they could.

Over the years I have had a number of claims with GEICO (although none with my MH) and pretty satisfied with their service and coverage. I would have to get a 30% reduction in premium to get me to move.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:48 AM   #6

I have GEICO for my car and Nationwide for the RV. GEICO is 6 months and has been for a long while.
I shop at every renewal. I jump carriers to whomever has the lowest rates. No loyalty here as there is NO loyalty from them.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:54 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have Allied a part of Nationwide. Our car's policies are six months. Our motorhome policy is for a year.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTom View Post
I have had GEICO for 15 years, have always had the 6 month policy period, and they have never changed the premiums in the middle of the year. But I do see how they could.

Over the years I have had a number of claims with GEICO (although none with my MH) and pretty satisfied with their service and coverage. I would have to get a 30% reduction in premium to get me to move.
I had Geico on the cars and the motorhome for years. This was a while back but i'm pretty sure they were 6 month policies.

Had a tornado come through about 15 years ago that laid a couple of trees down, one on top of the house and the MH, and one on top of the garage. Thought for sure i was going to have trouble but Geico stepped up and made everything right. Their claim service was outstanding.

Told myself then that i'd stay with them through thick and thin. Unfortunately, the premiums kept climbing, finally to the point where switching to another company saved about $800. Hated to leave them but it just got to where they were too expensive.

Have Progressive now and so far, it's still annual.
Old 09-22-2016, 12:42 PM   #9

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
They gotta do something to pay for those 10,000 commercials they run every day!
Old 09-22-2016, 12:59 PM   #10

Hi Crock,

Unless USAA changed things recently they do not insure motorhomes, they send you over to Progressive for that. You may pay USAA I'm not sure about that, but Progressive is the insurance company.

USAA does insure cars and trucks however and at great rates for vets and their family.

I want you to know I fought very hard not to say "that's a crock"! It required great discipline, that I can tell you!
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:07 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
My GEICO policy has had 6 month terms for as long as I can remember.

Had one claim for $4,000.00 (awning ripped out by wind while driving) close to 3 years ago, paid quickly without and increase in premium.

Rates are always competitive.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:17 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have had Geico for some time and our policies have always been 6 months both for the toad and the Mh.
Had one hit and run claim and they were very quick on getting the damage repaired.
Old 09-22-2016, 11:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Hi Crock,

Unless USAA changed things recently they do not insure motorhomes, they send you over to Progressive for that. You may pay USAA I'm not sure about that, but Progressive is the insurance company.

USAA does insure cars and trucks however and at great rates for vets and their family.

I want you to know I fought very hard not to say "that's a crock"! It required great discipline, that I can tell you!
Yes, Progressive is the insurance company for USAA. No matter, the policy is for one year and they offer a great rate for vets and their family members.

As for the "Crock " comment. ..that is sooooo high school.
Crock2Crock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 07:06 AM   #14

Come one Crock, a little humor, loosen up!
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance