RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2019, 11:01 AM   #1

Gel batteries for house batteries

Has anyone used Gel batteries for their house batteries? They are group 31 from a Gem car. I do not boondock so I dont think I need deep cycle.

Thanks for your replies in advance.

Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2019, 11:16 AM   #2

Gel batteries have very specific charging voltages and will fail quickly if overcharged. The max charging voltage is lower then flooded or AGM.

That's why they are rairly used, anymore, in automotive or marine deep cycle applications.

If you mean AGM starting batteries, often mistaking called gel, then they will be fine if not deep cycled often.

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
Has anyone used Gel batteries for their house batteries? They are group 31 from a Gem car. I do not boondock so I dont think I need deep cycle.

Thanks for your replies in advance.
I did have 2 12v group 27 gel batteries.. They lasted 1 year..
I found out that I should not to use a charger with a equalizing voltage function. Equalizing caused the battery to gas.. This creates a bubble on the plates. This bubble WILL NOT go away..
More bubbles and less plate area to supply voltage. This kILLS the BATTERIES

Also I noted that there are different charge voltages that are some-what less than the standard for flooded cells.
John Lorang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:47 PM   #4

Gels definitely have their own charging profile, and if your inverter/charger doesn't have a setting for them then that's a problem. Same for agm actually.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:53 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
As noted in previous post, GEL batteries have many limitations,
and no advantages that I know of.
The AGM batteries are the best, zero maintenance, no outgasing
of toxic, corrosive fumes, able to take more deep discharges,
and more. They are more expensive, but worth it IMHO.
Mac99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:03 PM   #6

Having had a GEM car for many years with the 6 12v batteries I would not use the Gel battery at all. The GEM car has a very specific high end charger designed for the type battery that they are built with. Many and most were AGM later on. Really got a lot of use out of the GEM car and they were very well built with an aluminum frame. AGM is the best way for the money to go.
Old 01-16-2019, 01:26 PM   #7

Thanks all for the info. I have come to realize just recently how wrong I was thinking GELs were better. Only cost me allot of money for that lesson. You all have confirmed my stupidity and for that I thank you

My question should be, "What batteries are you all using for chassis and coach that are giving the best results?"

Again, thanks in advance.

Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:22 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quincy View Post
Thanks all for the info. I have come to realize just recently how wrong I was thinking GELs were better. Only cost me allot of money for that lesson. You all have confirmed my stupidity and for that I thank you

My question should be, "What batteries are you all using for chassis and coach that are giving the best results?"

Again, thanks in advance.

As many 6volt deep cycles (that are as heavy as possible bc that means they got lots of plates - its an over simplification but has relevance) that you can fit in the space and as much cold cranking amps as you can get in two 12volts for the chassis.
Old 01-16-2019, 05:58 PM   #9

"Best" may need some clarification. I stick with AGM because I'm done with watering batteries and repairing corroded cables and trays.

Flooded golf cart batteries will be the best in terms of capacity per dollar.

Lithium is best if weight is more important than money.
Old 01-16-2019, 09:30 PM   #10

If you don't boon dock often. And want to save some coin, get Costco or Sams 6V GC2 batteries. Add a dab of Mineral Oil to reduce outgassing. Plan on a yearly hour or so of cleaning the battery terminal connections. And move on down the road... If your uncomfortable with the Mineral Oil approach. Then pay for the watering system caps, and squeeze the turkey baster bulb everyone an awhile to top off...

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Old 01-17-2019, 09:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
"Best" may need some clarification. I stick with AGM because I'm done with watering batteries and repairing corroded cables and trays.

Flooded golf cart batteries will be the best in terms of capacity per dollar.

Lithium is best if weight is more important than money.
Exactly and well put

There a very few that don't have corrosion issues and the rest of us do or did
AGM is worth the money not only for the corrosion but not having to worry so much about freezing or discharging

Very happy with the T105's AGM's I installed, only upgrade I have needed to do
Old 01-17-2019, 11:28 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

IMO... Gel batteries offer little, if any, advantage over AGMs. Back in the day when it was only flooded or gel, gel had some advantages vs flooded, but the availability of AGM technology has largely overcome that.

As for not needing deep cycle, I think you are mistaken. While boondocking does indeed work batteries harder, any RV will be better for having deep cycle house batteries. All RVs constantly discharge and recharge house batteries, so deep cycles will last 2x to 3x as long as marine hybrid or starting batteries. The tradeoff is largely rice and convenience. Marine hybid batteries are cheaper u front but have a much shorter life, so you will be buying new batteries every few years. Deep cycle last long but cost more and may require some care to get their full rated life.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 11:34 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Even if your charger has a gel setting your engine alternator does not and if you have solar its controller may not either. You do not equalize gel or AGMs.

Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, house batteries