Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2014, 05:13 AM   #29

Rufuss, thanks for the history on this in your previous post. My whole goal with having you shut off the main breakers in the coach was to get around the inverter/charger without having to unwire it - but it appears, at some point previously, you have gone completely around the inverter/charger.

As mentioned before, I still need to know if the RPM is increasing, decreasing or staying the same on the unit when the voltage starts dipping. This is going to answer the question as to whether or not your inverter/controller is bad or governor controls

Also, you mentioned it's dipping every so often. Is it doing this every 60 seconds? Can you time it? Is it consistently dipping every xx seconds?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2014, 07:10 AM   #30

Rufuss you are in good hands with 94Newmar IMHO. - Sorry you were ripped off before and learning everything you can before you have to go to a shop is the right way to go, or better yet, avoid the shop if you can

We all started with little knowlege on many things.

Good luck

Old 03-17-2014, 10:50 AM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Libero, I understand your comments. and Rufus I understand about getting service that seems to be pretty expensive for what they actually did. The problem is basic language. There are a lot of areas where this happens. I am a retired computer tech. I have a lot of trouble keeping up with current events because the technology is changing faster than I can keep up with the language to understand the changes. Electronics is the same way. I am tutoring a neighbor that is going to electronic classes because he is having some trouble with the concepts. I go down to his house and go over the book with him and help him understand it. The area you are troubleshooting has the potential to be both dangerous to you and to your equipment. A mistake in this area has the potential to kill you. It also has the potential to fry your tv, microwave, satellite dish, etc etc. Very expensive fixes. Not to forget damage to the generator. We are not going to be able to teach you electronics in a forum. I spent three hours with my neighbor going over his homework on a subject that is mentioned here. He is studying how to read an oscilloscope. He is a full time student and is having trouble. I cannot imagine how to teach anyone to do that in a forum like this. We all need to be prepared when dealing with repair services and I agree with your statement on that. However, It does not do you as much good for us to tell you what to do if you do not understand what we are telling you. I would suggest you go to this website and spend 14.95 I do not know anything about this course but if what they claim is true it will give you a world of knowledge. Electricity Electronics 24 Volume Illustrated How to Training Course CD B439 | eBay

All of us on here offer suggestions on what to check. But that is usually only good if you have a bad part. Shorts, opens are a different matter. One of the most important learning experiences in my life was writing a selloff test for a piece of military equipment. These tests have to list every button to push every indicator to look at etc. I grabbed one of the women from the secretary pool and had her run the test when I got finished. The number of things I had just skipped because it was second nature to me to look for this indication or push that button was astonishing. When an experienced person tells you to check something they are going to unconsciously not even think about the steps they skipped to make that inspection or not think about whether or not you know what the reading means. Even more important they might not even think about what safety steps you need to take before doing that. This is a long post but explains why I gave the advice I did. My coach is in the shop getting some mechanical work done. I honestly do not know if the power monitor system will read the frequency when I am in generator mode but when I get it back today I will look. If it does and you have a power monitoring system that will give you a way to check and see if the frequency is changing. If the frequency is changing and you have an inverter then the problem is more than likely going to be the inverter.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:59 AM   #32

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RufussSewell View Post
The engine seems to be running fine. It's just losing voltage for a split second.

There is no fault code. Just solid red light.
If it's been established that the engine is running smooth with no intermittent stalling, etc..., then I would first look for an adjustment on the voltage regulator. Not familiar with your particular unit, but I do have a very small screw driver adjustment on my regulator and located behind a cover, along with the the main control PC board.
With mine, I like seeing about 125vac with no load and hopefully 120vac with a small load and 115vac being acceptable with a very heavy load.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:16 AM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94-Newmar View Post
Ha! Im learning too Libero... every day it seems.. every day. If the voltage continues dipping with the main breaker in the coach off, and the RPM isn't increasing, Im afraid he's looking at a replacment inverter/controller board.... Very easy to change however they are NOT cheap...
I am learning also. I saw your quote about any good VOM could measure frequency. I have a Fluke model 75 which is a very good VOM but it does not measure Frequency. I looked online and the problem with my very good fluke is that it is a very good old fluke. Newer VOM's do measure Frequency. I learned something new today.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:54 AM   #34

Quote:
What type of meter do I need to check the Hz?
RufussSewell
I use one of these: "Kill a Watt" Electric Monitor, from Harbor Freight.
(Home Depot, Lowe's, Walmart, etc. also sell them).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 03-17-2014, 06:52 PM   #35

With an inverter generator frequency should be pretty darn stable. If you have a big inverter in the system that may be the issue.

Have you opened all of the breakers and then added load one circuit at a time?

Here comes the long story. I ran in circles one day with my 7500 Quiet diesel. I had just done a coolant and oil change and on the drive to the storeage unit it shut off (I was running the ACs) I thought I got something wet. Generator would start run nicely and then kick off after a couple of minutes running. After a long day of trouble shooting (I thought I got something wet) I finally went back to basic trouble shooting and stripped the load and added circuits one at a time..

To summarize a long story the charger converter failed on the rough Louisiana roads on the way back to the storage area. I should have done the simple stuff first .
So before you go to cummins strip the load, let the generator run, and then turn on the AC breakers and see if they will run. If they do its not the generator, its something simple.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:00 PM   #36

Ok, good to know some of you start at 125v.

My rig outputs 118v with no load. With the coffee maker on it goes down to 116v. It flickers more often with more load.

Perhaps it's just outputting a low voltage that needs to be raised?

Also it seems that there are two lines coming out of the gen. When the inverter is completely disconnected a couple of plugs still work. These plugs don't seem to have an issue with losing power. Perhaps just because they don't power anything with a big load.

But I just want to point out that the second line doesn't go to the transfer switch. It goes to a GFCI in the bathroom.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:19 PM   #37

Is there a voltage drop across the transfer switch?
Old 03-17-2014, 07:24 PM   #38

The voltage is the same everywhere. At the gen, transfer switch, inverter, breaker box etc.

118v with no load, 116v with the coffee maker on, down to maybe 109v when the power dips and the light flickers.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:25 PM   #39

According to this it's a digital volt regulator with no adjustment. It also has no brushes.

https://www.generatorjoe.net/html/onan/ONRV-750D601.pdf
Old 03-17-2014, 08:33 PM   #40

I have a suggestion that may help you. Look up www.powerfieldservices.com on the web and call them. First look up and write down the model,number, serial number and spec number that are on the nameplate of your generator. These people can help diagnose your issues and since they are factory service they can send you to the right service center near your home. I am in Houston and these people are very knowledgeable and fair. From years of service to our area and several people I have sent to them they get stuff fixed the first time and don't spend time cheating people. I don't think you will be disappointed, but also you should forget going to Cummins for a generator problem. They don't make generators.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:39 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk57 View Post
also you should forget going to Cummins for a generator problem. They don't make generators.
Thank you, I'll check them out.

My gen is made by Cummins btw.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:42 AM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Thank you, I'll check them out.

My gen is made by Cummins btw.
I thought you had a onan quiet 7500 My information seems to say they are made by onan with a Kubota diesel engine. Why do you think yours is made by cummins.