Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2014, 02:54 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
I thought you had a onan quiet 7500 My information seems to say they are made by onan with a Kubota diesel engine. Why do you think yours is made by cummins.
http://www.cumminsonan.com/cm/produc...=7&detail=true

It says Cummins Onan on the manual.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2014, 04:51 AM   #44
Retired Fire Capt

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Great info here. On the issue of Multi-function digital meters for troubleshooting. My old reliable cheap yellow meter finally died. So shopping begins and I find the perfect RV'er Multi-function meter.
It is the RSR Environmental Tester + Multi Function DMM
Besides the regular voltage stuff, it measures temp, humidity, sound and light levels. Check it out.

GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:14 AM   #45
Retired Fire Capt

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here is a document called the; "Fault Finding Manual for Self Excited and Separately Excited Generators".

For some reason my instincts favor the separately excited generators over the self excited ones. (good question for the therapist) Anyways, I am sure they both have their good points. However I think it is another good piece of information to stick in an RV'ers head.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:52 AM   #46

RufussSewell
The Onan Quiet Diesel 7500 (7.5HDKAJ11451C) is a computer controlled inverter style unit .
Engine speed and operation is controlled by a computer (Controller/Inverter Assy).
AC output is via the Inverter
The Controller/Inverter Assy monitors load via a current transformer and adjusts output and engine speed based on that feedback.
You can check for loose connections however the black box Controller/Inverter Assy is sealed and, like a modern automobile, has to be analyzed via a computer style connection. There is no voltage regulator like used in older Onan's.
While it is possible this is a loose connection, the cyclic indication (once / minute) points to the Controller/Inverter Assy.

Here is the service manual which describes most everything.
Service Manual: http://www.cumminsonan.com/www/pdf/m.../981-0522B.pdf

Note: Cummins purchased Onan around 2007. They are now know as Cummins-Onan.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:59 AM   #47

Regarding the meter, if you want an all around meter that performs most anything you could ask of a multimeter then this one from Sears is the best deal I have found:
Sears.com

While many of the clamp on meters today will monitor AC amperage via the clamp, most do not monitor DC amperage like this one does. To do that it uses a Hall Effect Sensor rather than a transformer like the AC only ones use.

Dave
Classic Winnebago Site: http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php
Dave78Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:01 AM   #48

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
HHmmm.. Have you changed the fuel filter? The every minute or so thing could be the coffee maker hot plate cycling. My QD8500 acted like that once, it would act like it was choking and almost die out when the load increased.
We previously had a problem with algae in the fuel tank, and even though I had changed the generator fuel filter once, it had still clogged up with enough algae residue to keep the motor from developing enough power to satisfy the inverter.

Changing the fuel filter is worth a shot, fairly cheap, and relatively easy to do.
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:20 PM   #49

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RufussSewell View Post
Cummins Onan

It says Cummins Onan on the manual.

You are correct. I did not realize that cummins bought onan. I went to get information on my generator so I could get a new fuel filter. I really felt like an idiot when I saw cummins onan on the generator itself.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:23 PM   #50

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneyj View Post
Great info here. On the issue of Multi-function digital meters for troubleshooting. My old reliable cheap yellow meter finally died. So shopping begins and I find the perfect RV'er Multi-function meter.
It is the RSR Environmental Tester + Multi Function DMM
Besides the regular voltage stuff, it measures temp, humidity, sound and light levels. Check it out.
A McGyver meter. Looks interesting though How well does it work.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:48 AM   #51
Retired Fire Capt

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
A McGyver meter. Looks interesting though How well does it work.
Well enough for a DIY RV Tech. Temps are in Celcius only so you need to do a conversion to get Fahrenheit. The Humidity is cool for the obvious reasons and the sound meter to quantify the DW's level of annoyance.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:01 AM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
I'd like to point out that digital multimeters are great for measuring stable electrical parameters, but are pretty awful at giving you accurate information for fast electrical transients such as the one you are experiencing. If your meter shows a quick drop to 109 and quickly recovers as you have stated, the actual voltage could be dipping much, much lower. Digital multimeters are pretty heavily filtered to give you an average reading. An analog meter would actually be better for troubleshooting this at home...however they are hard to come by any more.

I'm an ex-submarine electrician and have fixed my fair share of cranky voltage regulators, batteries, and generator equipment. I am all for taking some measurements and isolating everything in the coach to rule out external influences, but beyond that the inverter/regulator is not something I'd tackle as a novice. I've had the same type of bad experiences with "RV Dealers" and repair guys as you, but I do not think you'll get that kind of run-around from the generator's manufacturer. They may cost, but you'll likely get good service and a quality repair. Manufacturers value the reputations they've spent years building and typically they are the best place to go for quality (but not necessarily cheap) repairs if they are available. I also do not recommend tweaking the regulator's settings.

You are already planning to go to Cummins/Onan. In my opinion that is an extremely wise course of action.

Best of luck.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:05 AM   #53

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneyj View Post
Well enough for a DIY RV Tech. Temps are in Celcius only so you need to do a conversion to get Fahrenheit. The Humidity is cool for the obvious reasons and the sound meter to quantify the DW's level of annoyance.
phinneyj, just curious what you had to do to acquire the title "Fire Captain" on the forum.

Love it!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:12 AM   #54

For information only re those who did not know Onan was owned by Cummins. This has been the case for about 24 years. (Final acqusition was in 1992.) Recently the official company name has been changed from ONAN. Hope this bit of trivia is useful:-)
Old 03-20-2014, 12:13 PM   #55
Retired Fire Capt

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricotec View Post
phinneyj, just curious what you had to do to acquire the title "Fire Captain" on the forum.

Love it!
You can customize the title from the generic ones. Look through your settings in the 'User CP' section
Old 03-23-2014, 09:59 PM   #56

Ok UPDATE!

Batteries+ is amazing btw!

They fixed my Xantrex inverter (burned out relay) for... wait for it... $14.

Then! They had me bring over my RV for an electrical inspection to track down this gen problem. The fee? $0. They only charged me for parts. I gave them a $40 tip.

They isolated the issue with the Onan and recommended to have Cummins service it further. They suspect the inverter inside the Onan is faulty. They said if the Cummins service removes the inverter they may be able to fix it.

There are two lines coming out of the gen. Only one of them is losing voltage. I wonder if for the time being I can switch the two lines at the transfer switch so the inverter gets the clean line.

Anyway I'm zeroing in on it thanks to... of all places... Batteries+!!!