Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used the rivets.
Since I was drilling into the back cap of the motorhome and I can see where I was drilling it was a non issue. I can see being hesitant if drilling on the side on the motorhome in which I would first use the double stick tape. 3M makes a double stick tape called VHB, I keep a small roll with us for just incase use.

The Gen-Turi is a well manufactured item and I would recommend it.

Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2012, 02:33 PM   #16

So I went ahead and installed the hold downs with both the tape and the rivets. It seems to work well. I will see tomorrow when I am parked within a couple of feet of another Motorhome. Hopefully the person to my right won't send their fumes into me.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:43 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
I bought one of these dual suction cups from Harbor Freight and it works great. Suction Cup Lifter - Dual Cup Suction Cup Lifter
Old 01-03-2013, 10:03 PM   #18

Can I just say that the gen-Turi is amazing! It worked great!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #19

I didn't want to use suction cups on full body paint. I painted the little brackets to match the paint and used the double sided tape. It's holding just fine so far and you hardly see them.
Razzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:53 PM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've been using suction cups, they work well on the full body paint, not sure about them working on a rig with gel coat.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #21
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
This may not be for everyone, but I made a custom bracket.

Old gate hinge converted.

Cut slots in frame so that hinge dropped in. The hinge assembly fits between gap of door and side panel.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:40 AM   #22

Anyone using this system on an Aqua-Hot ??
Old 01-04-2013, 09:01 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
What is a gen-Turi ? I'm guessing its a pipe used to run your generator exhaust up the side of the Rv kind a smoke stack. Is that right?
I've only used my generator when I stopped st truck stops for the night.
Is there a safety issue involved. I'm a newbi and just learning
Thanks
Rick
Old 01-04-2013, 09:27 AM   #24

I recently bought an unused GenTuri on eBay for $49. Expected it to be missing some hardware but everything was still in sealed baggies. SCORE!

I was lucky to find that my Eagle's footwell window frame has two stainless steel retaining screws in exactly the right spots on either side of the window. Hardware store had correct screws an 8th of an inch longer so I simply removed the originals, stuffed the hole full of butyl scum and zipped the longer ones in through the GenTuri's D-loops. It looks factory and no extra holes were required. It's the simplest thing I have ever done on a MH. The interior noise reduction was shocking. Acoustics is a black art and I have no clue why something so simple has such a great effect but anything helps with Ole' Shakey the uber reliable 8DKD, right? Lovin' the GenTuri.

I see most folks have to go a bit further to get things in place so I feel like I was dealt a by on this one.

Gorlininc, Your assessment is correct. You may find that some places you find yourself will not allow use of the generator without an approved diversion device. Every year, we hear a story or two about someone going to sleep and not waking up due to their closely parked neighbor running their genny and spewing carbon monoxide right at thier rig. Bad times, indeed.

Racetracks often park rigs like credit cards in a wallet. I jockey viciously to make damn sure I park in a line where everyone has a GenTuri or similar.

2004 Country Coach Magna Chalet/ Cat C15
Samdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Diplomat Don

Great solution for us Monaco product owners. I'm a drag racer and am required to use the Genturi at most events we attend. Actually, I use mine any time I'm "camped" for more than a quick lunch. Been using bungee cords to wherever's convenient. I like your system and intend to "steel" the idea. Thanks!!!
Old 01-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlininc View Post
What is a gen-Turi ? I'm guessing its a pipe used to run your generator exhaust up the side of the Rv kind a smoke stack. Is that right?
I've only used my generator when I stopped st truck stops for the night.
Is there a safety issue involved. I'm a newbi and just learning
Thanks
Rick
Yup .... it is basically a smoke stack. It accomplishes a couple of things. For your neighbors it prevents your exhaust from bothering them. The fumes are vented above the MH and then blown away from everyone. To a lesser degree it provides some noise reduction for you. You can buy them for around $130 or make one, if you're handy at all, for about $30 or less. I'm cheap so I made my own and it works just fine. With the $100 I didn't spend on it I can get a couple gallons of gas !!

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #27

I use a small bungee cord to the rain gutter.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The name Gen-Turi comes from a wedding between Generator and Venturi (The principle upon which a carburetor and some sprayers work)

It is a large, BLACK pipe (like 2.5-3" made of a plastic (man made) material. Not metal. It comes in 3 interlocking sections.

At the bottom is a sweep elbow (metal, exhaust pipe kind) and optionally some adapters.

The hot exhaust gas rushing out the metal pipe is sent up the middle of the larger tube, sucking fresh air up with it so the larger pipe remains much cooler (As in I can hold on to it for a full minute even after 8 hours of generator run time)

The safety issues, and myths.

The function of the Gen-turi is to take the exhaust gas up up and away, above the roof line of the motor home and once the hot gasses get that high there is absolutly no way they can come in and kill you as you nap. (The generator, without the Gen-turi exhauses farther down and mine will set off the CO alarm in as little as 2 hours.. NOT GOOD, With the Genturi, 22 hours (Pun effect, it was really 25) and no annoying beep beep from the alarm)

And what's worse, your genrator can SHOOT exhaust gas under a rig parked beside you (That too has happened to me).

Thus, getting it up up and away, A very good thing.

The MYTH.

Folks from time to time yammer how the Air Conditioner up on the roof can draw exhaust fumes in from the Gen-Turi.

NO. it can not, first it does not draw outside air into the living space Thus the air conditioner could not do it even if it WERE possible 2nd the exhaust is above the air conditioner (At least on my rig) and hot gas keeps goign UP, not down.