Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-23-2014, 02:41 PM   #1
Gen-Turi and Other Generator Stuff

Gen-Turi Installation
Normally our generator is run only when the Motor Home is parked. Sometimes, on hot summer nights, we run it overnight for the air conditioning.We have two CO monitor/alarms to warn us of carbon monoxide contamination.I decided that some additional physical protection would be a good thing to have.

After remembering that in the past and even sometimes today, eighteen wheelers idle their diesel engines all the time, and the drivers almost always sleep in their trucks.I have never heard of one of them suffering any problems with CO.As I considered the situation, it dawned on me that in every case I can remember, the engine exhaust was discharged above the cab roof.If the trailer had a generator powered refrigerator, its exhaust was always discharged above the roof as well.These observations have been enough to convince me that CO safety is, indeed, increased if the generator exhaust is discharged above the roof line.Carbon monoxide is a little lighter than air and will not descend into the MH unless drawn in by a mechanical fan of some sort.

It would be great if the original generator installation had a permanent exhaust discharge above the roof line, but that isn’t the case.An aftermarket solution is necessary, and the Camco Gen-Turi is one such solution.Some have fabricated their own “homemade” versions of the Gen-Turi.I purchased the Gen-Turi from Amazon for $95.00+/- with free two day shipping because I have Prime.

The installation of the Gen-Turi is very simple and quick.It took me less than 15 minutes to make the installation.

The unit comes with adapters to make the connection between the Gen-Turi and generator exhaust pipe secure and tight.A pipe clamp is used to make all of this secure and tight.That clamp must compress the adapters and Gen-Turi connection to make everything secure.It uses 9/16” nuts for this purpose.It takes a lot of force to get everything snug.Your socket or wrench needs to have a long handle to make this task easy.

I attached the unit supports to the MH side using the supplied double sided tape.I first washed the MH side with Dawn and rinsed it well.The instructions say to wait 24 hours after using the tape before running the generator.I didn’t do that.I started the generator right away and all worked just as the instructions indicated.

I ran the generator under medium load for an hour to test everything.All worked without any problem.One of the tests suggested is to put a scrap of paper close to the bottom of the Gen-Turi riser pipe.That paper is supposed to travel up the pipe and out the top.It did that just five minutes after the generator was started.

The PVC discharge pipe gets very warm.You can touch it, but it is too hot to hold it very long.It is very stable and doesn’t touch the MH anywhere.When you want to take it down for traveling, you’ll need to let it cool before handle it.

I am now happy that the generator exhaust can be discharged above the roof line.

Other Generator Stuff
I have a PowerTech CD-7 diesel generator in a 2000 Kountry Star Motor Home.I purchased the MH in 2010 and about a month later after about 30 hours on the generator, the exhaust pipe broke at the muffler discharge.I had it welded back together and discovered that it had been welded before.About a month later, it broke again after some more hours on the generator.

I went to the PowerTech web site to get some advice, and there was a headline that said, Is Your Muffler Falling Apart?
That headline is still there.The story body says that the problem is most likely that there is no flexible connection between the generator and muffler and that the normal vibrations of the generator will most likely break the fixed connection between generator and muffler.Installing a 12” long flexible nipple in the exhaust line not only stopped the breakage problem, but reduced the noise from the generator at least 50%.If you don’t have a flexible connection on your generator, I highly recommend you get one.

Fast forward to the Gen-Turi!Some have reported a reduction in generator noise with the Gen-Turi.Others have reported no change.Gen-Turi reports that generator noise comes from the generator itself and vibrations from the generator to the motor home.After installation of the flexible exhaust connection, I have no vibrations or vibration noise.

The generator noise is reduced with my installation of the Gen-Turi.If you have installed one and have no noise reduction, I suggest you look into a flexible connection for your system.

Good Luck!

Wil Andrews
2007 Newmar Kountry Star DP
Cummins ISL, Cummins E-Brake
wil01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2014, 05:11 AM   #2
Only thing I would say is that after seeing all the crappy installations from the factory, I wouldn't trust them to do it right every time. The gen turi is a great after market solution.
go4dsnow is offline   Reply With Quote