Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2016, 07:47 AM   #15

Camped at KC Speedway this past weekend. Toy Hauler 5th wheel next to me had generator installed in compartment at front of unit with exhaust UNDERNEATH the 5th wheel overhang. Ran the generator 24x7. Thank goodness there was enough breeze to move the exhaust away.

My diesel generator exhaust was pointing toward the RV next to me, but only because he pulled his TT into the camping spot instead of backing in as everyone else did. He also had a window opened just above the exhaust pipe too. I sparingly ran my generator.
JumboJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2016, 12:13 PM   #16

I have two of them, one for my generator and one for my Aquahot. Whenever I am parked close to someone on the drivers side I will put them on. I was almost killed when I parked my tractor trailer next to another one that ran his diesel auxiliary unit all night and the fumes filled my cab. I was lucky to wake up at 2am and got the hell out of there. Always be a good neighbor.
slemnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 04:59 PM   #17

I use one for tailgating at UF football games and when I follow my brother around drag racing. The least expensive I have found is Amazon, now thats been 2 yrs ago. The problem is that exhaust fumes huddle the ground, that is where everyone is. It can cause death and medical problems if not addressed. I also ordered the suction cups instead of drilling holes in the side of my coach. Install the suction cups on the window if close and stabalize the exhaust tube. I enjoy waking up every morning alive.
Safe RVing
cauffield64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:00 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
we have used one for years and would not camp close to another without attaching to the exhaust. Carbon Monoxide is deadly and would not expose us or others around us to that. As far as the weight, CW has suction cup for $10 that will take the weight off the exhaust. Safety First!
fbanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 10:42 PM   #19

Made my own. Makes a huge difference keeping fumes away from the MH (and from neighbors). Exhaust pipe fro genset is more than strong enough t bear the weight. I worry more about wind twisting the tube side to side. To protect from that I use wires connected around the tube to 3m removable hooks applied to side of scab. Take the hooks off when traveling but leave the adhesive base in place full time. I fully recommend either making or buying one
Old 05-14-2016, 08:10 AM   #20

Use one for the Aqua Hot all the time. Don't like the smell of diesel getting into the coach.
Zephyr08Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 08:26 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Last year on our first summer with the MH, I fired up the Hydro Hot, I happened to be looking out the drivers side windows and saw the campers next to me get up in discuss and reenter their MH, I could hear them say "What is that". I now have Genturies for both the gen and the Hydro Hot. I found a used one on Craig's List.
Old 05-26-2016, 09:52 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've used one for several years @ Indy ... the only thins I did to support the unit was to add a metal strap to the exhaust pipe for additional support. It works great to take exhaust gasses away fron your coach and also reduces the noise from the generator.
jerryduffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 04:43 AM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Bought one also out of obligation to being a good neighbor while parked close at an event. I had to remove the decorative curved chrome exhaust tip in order to accommodate the Venturi connection. Straps carry some of the weight which isn't substantial to begin with. Haven't used mine much, but carry it just in case.
trimacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:00 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
I'm going to two rally's this summer and I expect to need both the Hydro Hot and the generator for a few days while dry camping. I haven't used my Genturi's yet and have been wondering if I needed some type of support. I was thinking something like those scissor jacks.
Old 05-28-2016, 12:28 AM   #25

After reading the above posts, I want to add something I found after the suction cups failed to do the job for me.
I got two bath tub assist handles ... Each has two lever action suction cups, no way these babies are coming off. They will hold over 200 lb each
GPWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 09:14 AM   #26

Thanks to everyone who replied. Bought a unit and am using suction cups on the window to hold it up. What concerns me is that when the generator starts up, it moves around thus moving the exhaust pipe and this unit restricts it some.
Pingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:44 PM   #27

I must say that the gen-turi is one of the few aftermarket pieces of equipment that works as advertised and does not require modification or re-engineering to install and function. For what-all is in the kit the price seemed reasonable on sale at Camping World. Even has a zip up baggy to put everything in.

I was amazed at the reduced exhaust smell around the coach for ourselves much less the neighbors. It also reduces noise considerably....outside and inside the coach.

I struggled with drilling holes in the coach but after making sure nothing was behind the area I did pop-rivet the small metal holders gen-turi provides to attach the support straps to. It does make it easy to install and they are nearly invisible if you paint them the appropriate color for that part of the coach. No worse than the hold-downs for the awning straps.

Get the gen-turi extension pipe to clear the higher Entegra roof line.

One other recommendation is to purchase a windshield installation suction cup tool. Stick the suction cup(s) to the side of the coach high up and bungee the top of the Gen-turi pipe to the handle and/or isolate with a piece of foam pipe wrap. Stabilizes the tall pipe and reduces swaying and load on the lower pipe and lower support straps.

Highly recommended to have one on board. I even put ours on one night in a truck stop after a truck pulled in and parked on the left side by the genny exhaust. The driver actually came over later and mentioned the Gen-turi pipe and thanked me for the consideration.

You could even get carried away and camo the Gen-turi pipe to the coach colors and no one would ever notice it.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:44 AM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
I like the Gen-Turi alot but I still wonder, aside from cost, why don't the RV manufacturers put the generator exhaust out the roof? I have plenty of space in my back cap to run the exhaust up and out the roof. Every time I have the generator running I look at the exhaust and the roof and wonder if it can be done without any safety issues, such as fires or leaks.
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator