Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2016, 12:22 PM   #1

Gen-Turi Generator Exhaust Extension

Has anyone used the Gen-Turi Generator kit or something similar? Does it put too much weight on the generator muffler?
Pingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2016, 12:29 PM   #2

Hi - And welcome to the gang!!!

I do not have Gen Turi, but keep watching Craigslist for a 'deal'!

From what I see, part of the exhaust is also supposed by the parts that attach to the side of the rig. I've seen hundreds of Gen Turi's at large RV gatherings, and all seem to stay attached! And, I've seen quite a few nice looking 'home made' rain drop pipe models too...

We want one more for our HydroHot, as it is on the patio side of the coach.

Suspect you'll get more feedback from others too...

Again, welcome. Have fun, stay safe,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 12:34 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
We use one when tailgating and other special events where generator is running for long periods. The Genturi is pretty light and the straps that are used do reduce the load some.
Old 05-10-2016, 12:40 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
You'll find dozens of threads on the Genturi. We don't "boondock" often, but we have one for when we do (usually in a rally) and no, it does not put undue weight on the generator exhaust. There are thousands in use, both commercially made and home made, I've never heard of a problem caused by one.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:22 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingy View Post
Has anyone used the Gen-Turi Generator kit or something similar? Does it put too much weight on the generator muffler?
Yes I have one and it is light weight. I reason I chose to buy the the Gen-Turi instead of making my own was weight. I got mine using amazon as a used item, it was much cheaper and looked brand new. I also got the suction cups they were a waste of money.
Old 05-10-2016, 05:39 PM   #6

We have one and use it when at the FMCA rally and other places when camping, no hookups. I use a set of large suction cups to hold it in place but moved the holder up to use the cups on the glass rather than the coach, works great.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:43 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to Maligator
I swear by mine when camping at races w/o hookups. I am a DIY guy usually and considered making my own to save a buck but this was worth it for the quality. No strain on the pipe that will cause damage.
Maligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 05:43 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We have one and use if we are parked at some sort of gathering.

The weight is minimal. It does come with some straps and holders that mount to the side of the RV. Instead of drilling holes in the side of the RV I just took 2 small pieces of chain and used a couple of the window drain cap screws to attach them to the side of the coach. I just attach the straps there.

Personally I think it should be mandatory. We were parked at the Albuquerque Balloon Festival last year and the rig next to us ran the gas generator continuously blowing the exhaust right our rig. Luckily the people were only there 1 night, my wife was getting very angry
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:34 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Hi - And welcome to the gang!!!

I do not have Gen Turi, but keep watching Craigslist for a 'deal'!

From what I see, part of the exhaust is also supposed by the parts that attach to the side of the rig. I've seen hundreds of Gen Turi's at large RV gatherings, and all seem to stay attached! And, I've seen quite a few nice looking 'home made' rain drop pipe models too...

We want one more for our HydroHot, as it is on the patio side of the coach.

Suspect you'll get more feedback from others too...

Again, welcome. Have fun, stay safe,
Smitty
Need one for our AquaHot too, already have one for the generator. Someday I'll get around to trying it on the gen set!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 07:43 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a Gen-turi and use it when other RV's are around. its very lite and only takes a minute or 2 to install. I wish more people used them on their Aqua Hot as they most often blow exhaust gases onto their neighbors patio
chuckftboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 08:04 PM   #11

Forest River Owners Club
MODS, I'm not sure if this is a proper post to this thread, please move or delete if necessary.

I have a complete, new, never installed Gen Turi setup that I purchased for a Class "C" that we no longer have. We now have a TT that doesn't have a generator so doesn't need the Gen Turi. I think it's too bulky to ship economically, but your opinion(s) may differ. Ebay comes to mind, but if someone on this forum can use it, let's talk

I'm in Marysville, WA. 98271, if that helps for estimating shipping......
Bob55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
You'll find dozens of threads on the Genturi. We don't "boondock" often, but we have one for when we do (usually in a rally) and no, it does not put undue weight on the generator exhaust. There are thousands in use, both commercially made and home made, I've never heard of a problem caused by one.
x2.

I bought mine from a friend that never used it so I did get somewhat of a deal I guess. At least it was less than full MSRP.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
We have one and use if we are parked at some sort of gathering.

The weight is minimal. It does come with some straps and holders that mount to the side of the RV. Instead of drilling holes in the side of the RV I just took 2 small pieces of chain and used a couple of the window drain cap screws to attach them to the side of the coach. I just attach the straps there.

Personally I think it should be mandatory. We were parked at the Albuquerque Balloon Festival last year and the rig next to us ran the gas generator continuously blowing the exhaust right our rig. Luckily the people were only there 1 night, my wife was getting very angry
I like mine when "camping close" to others to keep the exhaust away from them, but also to keep the exhaust away from me. Sitting outside when the wind is blowing from the exhaust toward where you are sitting isn't fun. And definitely isn't safe.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:19 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edatlanta View Post
............. And definitely isn't safe.
Agree 100%.
I am not sure how many people realize the dangers of generators running in close proximity to each other or even sitting alone.
We were at an event last year when a friend of ours running a generator had to be taken to hospital due to Carbon Monoxide poisoning. He did not have any sort of exhaust extension and was spending the night there alone. Luckily he realized something was not right and others took him to hospital to be treated and released.
The event coordinators "require" you to have one but never enforced it. This year they half enforced it as many people had rigged up extensions to satisfy the requirement yet others had nothing.
Spk64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator