Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2009, 07:02 AM   #1

Generac choke

Anyone have experience repairing the automatic choke on the Generac genset? My genset will start from the dash switch if the air temp. is warm, otherwise I have to manually close the choke and start the unit with the genset mounted switch. Thanks
irwin
irwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2009, 09:54 AM   #2

Not too many folks have Generac gensets. Most have Onan, some have Powertech.

We have a Generac NP-75D diesel genset and the main circuit board has a bad circuit on it. I had to re-wire the Pre-heater circuit from the genset mounted start switch to the dash switch as the dash circuit on the board was bad.

If I had time/$, I would replace the board but at around $650, not right now. My fix works and how often am I under the front of the coach and need to start the generator?

One thing I noticed is that the genset will NEVER stay running on the first try. I hold the pre-heater switch for about 20 seconds and then hit the start switch. When it starts, I release both and it promptly dies. When I do it a second time, it stays running. It makes me think that maybe the fuel pump is getting weak or something else?

Sorry...I got off topic here...

If you have to manually choke the genset when cold, is there a thermal valve that is bad? For reference, on a Thermoquad carburetor (440 power!!!!) and some other brands, there is a "stove pipe" type of choke spring. It changes tension as it warms up from the engine running and gradually opens the choke. Of course there are approx. 30 other items/linkages to set that can affect the correct functioning of the carburetor and some deal with the choke linkage.

Perhaps yours just needs some adjustment. How does the choke work? what model of Generac do you have? I can do some research to see what info is available or you can call these guys:

Scwalm & Associates
(909) 591-4341

They are a Generac service center here in SoCal and they have helped me out a time or two.
Old 07-18-2009, 06:18 AM   #3

Grenerac choke

Thanks for the reply.. The generator is a gas powered 4500 watt unit (model 9592-3. The choke is operated by a solenoid. The solenoid itself is good, when I apply 12 volts to the solenoid coil, the sol. actuates. I assume the problem lies within the printed circuit board, but do not have a schematic.
Old 07-20-2009, 10:01 PM   #4

I've got a Generac 5000 and never knew there was a choke on it. I always hit the fuel pump button first and it started right up.

You may try looking up "Generator Jim" on www.rv.net/forums He's helped many rvers with their genny problems.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:43 PM   #5

Ah that is one of Generac's flaws...at least on older models. Their PC boards are...uh...poo-poo.

I'll look up your model and see what I can find.

Whoops, I found this site.

http://www.partsfortechs.com/asapcar...hapter=0&id=18

...and this one...

http://www.generator-parts.com/

http://www.generator-parts.com/manua...-rv/098773.pdf

...and another...

http://www.gen-parts.com/Manuals/98773.pdf

http://www.gen-parts.com/Manuals/E7225.pdf

...I'll keep looking
Old 07-22-2009, 06:31 AM   #6

Generac choke

Thanks all. I am going to assume that there is a problem with the pc board. I'll continue to start the genset by manually closing the choke wjen necessary. Later when I find the time I'll troubleshoot the pc board.
After I clean the roof, reseal the joints, change the oil, lube the chasis and drive train, wash the unit, check tire pressure, check the front airbag pressureand on and on-----------------tell me again why we love this rv'ing so much.