Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-25-2010, 02:34 PM   #1
Generac Generator keep stalling out.

I have a 96 Gulf Stream I just purchased and the it has a Generac gasoline powered genset that uses the coach gas tank. The thing worked perfect the night I brought it home and used it for an overnight stop. Now it is in storage and I have about a 1/4 tank of fuel left according to the gas gauge on the dash. The thing has run for 15-20 minutes the last couple of times I was up there to mess around then shuts off. Right now I can't even get it to refire. I replaced the air filter and prefilter, the spark plugs, fuel filter and it has plenty of oil in it and is sitting pretty level. I am guessing there is a safety in these things typically that will not let the generator drain the fuel tank so you can drive away after a night of running them. Would that be a correct assumption and a quarter tank would be around the cut off on these things?
One more thing, do the Generac 6.6 models have a low and high idle or do they just keep running the same RPM?

mrhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2010, 03:03 PM   #2
Almost all MH's will not let the generator run if you are close to 3/8 or 1/4 full of fuel. Fill your tank and i'm sure it will run fine. This is done to keep you from running the tank dry with your generator. Wireman

Steve Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
That's what I was thinking Steve. At first I figured I had plenty of fuel but then thought maybe they built some type of safey into it because it was running perfect before I parked it and the fuel got low. I did find the installation manual and it says to keep the pickup tube a few inches shorter in the tank than that of the engine pickup. I am hoping that's all it is. Thanks for your help.

I also saw in the manual that it only lists 1 RPM range for the thing and its 2700 so I guess there is no low and high idle. I don't think my Onan in my car trailer has one either but I know our welding machine does so I didn't know if they built something like that into a generator for a MH.
mrhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:18 PM   #4
I have always heard the 1/4 tank rule. Gen gas pickup at the 1/4 tank level to prevent running too low to get to gas station...
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote