Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 03-28-2016, 11:09 AM   #15
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a 2001 Mirada 30ft with a Ford V10. No problems. I flat tow a Honda Civic or dolly tow Toyota Camry. I just bought an older (2003) Saturn Vue to flat tow and don't anticipate any problems. The Vue is probably about the same weight as the Camry.

The newer V10s have about 50 more HP than I have, so you shouldn't have any problems.

I drive the MH like a truck, I take my time going up the hills, On steep grades, I'll just downshift to force a lower gear and fall in line with the 18 wheelers, 4 way flashers turned on. I come down the other side the same way, downshifted and let the engine do the braking. Never go down a hill any faster than you went up. Towed up I-70 and through the Eisenhower tunnel (11,200 ft elevation) several a times,

As others mentioned, take a look at gross towing weight, and look carefully at the hitch, not just the ratings, but climb under there, look at bolts, welds, etc. On mine, I found both mount plates on both sides had cracks. I suspect the previous owner had overloaded the tongue weight and this cause d the cracks.

2001 Coachmen Mirada (Ford F53 6.8L V10) - Toad 2003 Saturn Vue.
It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2016, 11:30 AM   #16
Monaco Owners Club
That jeep is gonna tow just fine. Personally, I'd go with the Chev 8.1 V-8 over the 6.8 Ford V-10. I'm thinking those 8 big jugs in the 8.1 are gonna develop a lot more low end torque than the 10 little jugs in the 6.8. Torque is what pulls.

TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 10:59 AM   #17
If I recall the newer V10 has 457lbs. of torque and the 8.1 Chevy had about 420-30 or so. Also, at the OP's price point and looking at 30 feet he'll be able to get a newer motor home that will only be available with the V10. The Workhorse Chevy platform hasn't been made now for 8 or 9 years at least.
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 03:11 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Originally Posted by Ludmilla View Post
You need to be careful about the GVWR. A 4 door wrangler is over 4000 pounds. You may have a 5000 pound hitch but once you take the weight of your loaded RV and add the weight of the Jeep, you may well be over the GVWR.
That's GCWR Gross Combined Weight Rating. That's the number you want to look at. The Loaded weight of the coach and the toad combined. You will need an aux brake system for the Jeep also.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2010 Chevy Colorado 4X4
DD788Snipe is online now   Reply With Quote

purchase, advice