Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2016, 01:07 AM   #1

Outdoors RV Owners Club
General MH purchase advice

Thinking of going to a MH towing a Wrangler. Wrangler would also be my DD. Looking a getting a 30 foot or so gasser class A, shorter the better, 30 would be ideal. What's it going to be like towing a Wrangler with a class gasser up the grades. Have not even begun thinking about best MH makers and other important items. Looking to spend <60K on a used one in great condition. Any other advice or experience welcome. I have had a truck and TT since 2003 and travel with the dog.

Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2016, 08:52 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
30' is pretty small, be sure to check the tow rating.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:04 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Many of us have dragged jeep wranglers all over the U.S. With gas MH. Either the ford v10 or the GM 8.1 will get'er done. Smaller/lighter coach offers some performance advantages, however I have used my large 38' PA with good results.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 11:52 AM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have had RV's for years of the TT type and Dad had a C but the research on this project is really a rough one. I guess the MPG will be close to 7 towing and the grades will be 45MPH with the engine wound up. Is the GM 8.1 a better way to go? If my TT weighed 2500 then a wrangler could tow it, LOL. I know a DP would be the way to go but really just can't do that. I am sure a MH salesman could give me all the info I want, LOL.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:58 AM   #5

general MH purchase advice

The keys are tow rating and floor plan.

Some of the smaller gas coaches have only a 5,000 pound tow rating. Towing the jeep four down should not be a problem, because it doesn't weigh 5000 pounds.

And you've got to be happy with the floor plan, or nothing else matters.
Old 03-26-2016, 12:17 PM   #6

I believe our 26' Flair has a 5,000 lb tow rating. We are planng our first trip of about 8k miles with it this Summer towing a Tracker.

After purchasing it in Victorville, CA we drove it about 900 miles to our home in Phoenix, OR towing the Metro we used for the trip down to get it. I was happy with the way it preformed all around. It is older and has a 454 with tbi and OD.

One of my main concerns about it is the limited space in the sleeping area. If that does not work out well for us we may be forced to stretch out to 30' or so.

IMHO, sacrifices will be made. Many of these will be based upon the planned use of the RV, at least that's the way it's been for us.

Best of luck.

Steve
Old 03-26-2016, 12:24 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think those of us that have Winnebagos would be remiss if we didn't caution you to look carefully for windshield leaks. There is a good discussion going on now on the WIT forum.
Old 03-26-2016, 03:03 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
The keys are tow rating and floor plan.

Some of the smaller gas coaches have only a 5,000 pound tow rating. Towing the jeep four down should not be a problem, because it doesn't weigh 5000 pounds.

And you've got to be happy with the floor plan, or nothing else matters.
All of the Class A gas coaches I have seen or read about have a hitch pulling rating of 5000 pounds or less. As far as I know the maximum WH and Ford GCWR is 26,000 pounds. When you subtract the coach GVWR from the GCWR, often there is less than 5000 pounds that can be towed.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:06 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
So they load these buggers right up to the max and still claim a 5K tow? I would think a 30 footer with a V10 would have better luck towing, power wise that a larger heavier unit with the same drivetrain.
Old 03-26-2016, 04:19 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would suspect you would not have a problem at all towing the Wrangler with a 30' gas motor home. Don't know what year you're looking at but even with our 04 8.1 andnalmost 38' towing the pt, you don't even know it's back there. Now I'm taking into consideration an approximate 8' longer motorhome to compensate for the heavier toad that you are considering over what we are towing. The 8.1 in our coach is stout and I'm sure the V10's have the guts you'd need as well, if it's the Ford chassis you're looking at. Good luck and hope you find one that fits your needs.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 04:39 PM   #11

You need to be careful about the GVWR. A 4 door wrangler is over 4000 pounds. You may have a 5000 pound hitch but once you take the weight of your loaded RV and add the weight of the Jeep, you may well be over the GVWR.
Old 03-26-2016, 05:59 PM   #12

Hello Highway 4x4 - I was staying in the San Antonio area for a couple of weeks. I have been thinking about using PPL for a consignment, so I decided to drop by the PPL store in New Braumfields. I filled out some paperwork regarding my coach. I was told that I would be "contacted" with a price. So far, the only call I got from them was to find out the model number, with no other correspondence regarding price. Also, I had a change to "look around the lot" at what they had. In IMHO - the units on the lot were "beat" and "Dogs" (not in very good looking shape or condition). Yes they have cheap prices, but do not expect a good condition coach (at least at this location). I told my wife that this reminded me of one of the used car lots on the south side of Chicago - selling nothing but "beaters." Maybe the Houston location is better??
Regards
Mark S
Old 03-26-2016, 10:43 PM   #13

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludmilla View Post
You need to be careful about the GVWR. A 4 door wrangler is over 4000 pounds. You may have a 5000 pound hitch but once you take the weight of your loaded RV and add the weight of the Jeep, you may well be over the GVWR.

I think you mean GCWR.
Old 03-28-2016, 10:35 AM   #14

30 foot A won't have any problems towing that Jeep. We tow on a dolly my wife's RAV 4 at 3200 lbs and 500 lbs for the dolly. Don't know its back there. That includes trips through the Kentucky mountains and up into northern New York, Vermont and Maine. At your price point of 60K you should be able to buy a nice gas rig 2012 or newer and should look and feel like new. Good Luck with your shopping.

Tags
purchase, advice