Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2014, 09:01 AM   #1

General question... Looking for insight

Hi guys.. Sorry if i ramble here..

As some of you know we are very close to pulling trigger on a new 2015 Anthem. Of recent I've been investigating used/new in greater detail. Finding a used Entegra in the 2-3 year old range is problematic. And NewMars(our second choice all along) seem to put us in the same "New" range of the Anthem for the same amenities we need to have, but a much older coach. Tires and batteries concern me on a 5-8 year old used coach. (Im new to this.. Be gentle...)

First question ... Can anyone give me a "ballpark" on how much depreciation we can reasonably expect n a New Anthem ( or any new coach in the 350-450k range) within the first 3 years or so? Our price would be in the 330k range ++ obviously.

Second. Im a Chef by career and part of my plan for the future is to take my talents on the road. Working for myself in a mobil kitchen. Similar to Food Truck Vending. Im curious to know if you guys ever see such a thing in your travels (camp grounds/Resorts Etc.) and if campgrounds/resorts would even allow it. Of course the need for various permits and such is well understood. A pain but necessary. I plan to offer smoked meats and comfort Diner/Deli style foods...

Really would like to get the operation off the ground. Who knows.. Perhaps if all goes according to Hoyle.. Dw can have the Cornerstone she wants and is mad at me for not putting it in our budget ..😘😘

Thanks for any input...

Robert & Jana Stanton... Birthing a 2015 Anthem

Robert & Jana Stanton... Birthing a 2015 Anthem.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2014, 12:38 PM   #2

ShowHauler

I would talk to Lonnie at ShowHauler. They have built many RV's with custom kitchens. They will build you exactly what you want. Visit their Facebook page for ideas.

Every unit is custom-built!

JohnnyB
Old 09-09-2014, 12:53 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
In all our travels I've never seen a traveling kitchen in any campground we've been in. If there is a food setup it's like a national park, you have to pay the park service to be there and you're the only one allowed to sell food.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:07 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
I suspect most rv parks will discourage food sales on their property. There is probably no profit advantage to them and some liability exposure. But given your skills the idea merits some research into the business side of things.

We own a motor home that MSRP @ $300K when new. We bought it at 7 years old for 40% of that amount and probably overpaid. Purchase discount and depreciation on that rig equals about $25K per year (Not including license and sales tax costs) during those 7 years. (Those dollars were more valuable each than dollars twenty years later today.) We have experienced about $8k depreciation per year since purchase.

If you can absorb this kind of depreciation, Tires at $5000 and Batteries at $1000 as routine maintenance items every 5 or six years should be no factor in deciding on a used rig.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:49 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

First, expect to depreciate substantially from the MSRP right away, in the form of the usual discount at purchase. 15% is to be expected and 20-30% often obtained by good negotiators. So right away the initial "depreciation" from MSRP is huge. From there, figure another 6% or so annually for the next 10-15 years. These numbers are real SWAGs, since condition, brand, and local market conditions often cause substantial variances.

We bought a high end coach with a $290k MSRP for $188K when it was almost 3 years old and in top condition. That was back in late 2006, buying an 2004 vintage coach.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:56 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
When you purchase a MH pay whatever you can afford to "throw away". The value only goes in one direction and that is NOT up. deSanford As far as a traveling kitchen it would be more successful in a trailer you could tow to County and State Fairs.
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:35 PM   #7

Solo Rvers Club
Saw this posted in this thread:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/how-...ar-195673.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucotx View Post
My original entry above had the depreciation thing all wrong. The depreciation is off purchased price, not MSRP. See below.

Here is the typical depreciation table that others may have seen before.

From the purchase price of new coach, after "Number of Years" of purchase, the table below shows first the depreciation for each passing year, and the "Total Depreciation" from the original purchase price.

Number of Years <-> Depreciation % for given year <-> Total Depreciation %
1 18 18
2 10 28
3 7 35
4 6 41
5 6 47
6 5 52
7 5 57
8 4 61
9 4 65
10 3 68
11 3 71

So, for example, if a 2015 Anthem sells for $350,000, after 3 years it may be worth about $227K. After 5 years, about 185K. After 10 years, about $112K. So, after 10 years, you have lost 68% of a $350,000 investment, or about $240,000. Even if you drive the RV 10,000 miles a year for the 10 years you own it, you would have spent $2.40 per mile in addition to what you would spend on diesel ...

Note: The table above is from this article:

THE BEST RV VALUE: DEPRECIATION IS THE MAJOR REASON TO SERIOUSLY CONSIDER A USED RV
Hope it helps.
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:55 PM   #8

...as far as being a mobile chef, some luxury RV park resorts have employees that put on meals in the park's clubhouse/kitchen so perhaps you could get a job doing that and stay in the park.

Doing something like that out of your own RV kitchen would be challenging...you'd probably have to have your kitchen inspected by the local health dept., your space would pose a problem with cooking and cold storage. It sounds like a great idea but you'll really need to check the details.

Another option is by going to RV rallies, sports venues, etc. and do like the rest of the vendors but again, you'll probably need a health dept. o.k., and likely will have to pay for a spot. You'll definitely need a residential refrigerator not a typical RV refrigerator. A separate freezer would also possibly be needed.

Good luck!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:57 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
It has been my experience for the past 3 motorhomes that the original owners (whether one or more) usually lose between 70-80% of the MSRP at the 10 year point.
I believe that will translate to most every motorhome of any quality. Especially true when a high line coach is purchased.

Never really an investment; what we do and love is a life style.

Whether we can afford to begin at the new level depends on individual preference. I like to think it is my responsibility to keep up value with renovating an older coach with love and money.
Just my opinion...

Tim Brunkow
2003 Monaco Executive 40PBT
2006 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon LJ / Toad
griztim76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
...as far as being a mobile chef, some luxury RV park resorts have employees that put on meals in the park's clubhouse/kitchen so perhaps you could get a job doing that and stay in the park.

Doing something like that out of your own RV kitchen would be challenging...you'd probably have to have your kitchen inspected by the local health dept., your space would pose a problem with cooking and cold storage. It sounds like a great idea but you'll really need to check the details.

Another option is by going to RV rallies, sports venues, etc. and do like the rest of the vendors but again, you'll probably need a health dept. o.k., and likely will have to pay for a spot. You'll definitely need a residential refrigerator not a typical RV refrigerator. A separate freezer would also possibly be needed.

Good luck!

Thank you all for the info.. It helps. Just to clarify. The mobil kitchen would be a separate trailer from the RV. Working out of the RV itself would be a dismal failure. They are just not set up for that. Besides.. The Rig is Home.. Not work.. Thanx again.. I appreciate all the input.. Knowledge is power and the Price is right here👍

Robert & Jana Stanton... Birthing a 2015 Anthem.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:08 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I am a artist and my wife travel full time making art shows.We pull a 24' car hauler put the jeep Cherokee in trailer added shelving in the V-nose with some around the sides to store art work,some stored in bays of coach.
We meet a lot of food venders at the shows,most of them live within 100 miles of were they set up. Remember if you are pulling a food trailer you have to have something to pull it with chances are slim that you will be able to pull coach were you set up.We pack a lot of artwork in the jeep un pack back in trailer at camp ground,some times we take the trailer to the show (3-4 day out door shows were we need the tent) some times we take just the jeep for a one day inside or a out side with out the tent.All this is a lot of work ,but we love the lifestyle sometimes we just travel and enjoy this country(we are doing that right now in Hatteras Sands N.C.We are going to the rally in Myrtle Beach there is a show the weekend after the rally.
What type of food are you cooking? Do you have a kitchen plan in mind? Keep after it .Hope for the best but plan for the worst. As i said we love the change in lifestyle,but it is a learning curve and you have to be flexible to survive. Good luck on your adventure.
tagcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:19 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Forgot my thought on your coach .You are getting a fine coach.We look for 6 months went to some R/V. shows traveled to look at some used ones.We did find a used 2004 Monaco Diplomat with 23000 mile but had new tires up grade tv's new flooring,etc.We gave $89000 then put another $10000 added 500 watts of solar,up grade in satellite, few things on the engine like fuel filters,air filters,air dryers,etc. Seeing that is our home now to get everything we wanted to buy used was the only way to keep in budget.AND IT IS PAID FOR that is the big thing for us .In retirement we do not want debt.
tagcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:20 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As we travel all over the country racing motorcycles, we have had the opportunity to see many food vendors at these events. As someone else stated, they are usually local within a couple hundred miles at most and usually from the same state that the event is being held. I assume that is due to licensing and inspections. That being said Im sure you could accomplish your goal with a little planning. Maybe licensing in several states where cost is not out of line. Maybe there are temporary permits or none at all in some states. Aside from licensing, I think your idea is a good one. Yes you would have to operate out of a trailer. The nice thing about that is you can drop the trailer wherever the event or campground staff want it and you can put the rig in a campsite or at least away from the business. Your style of food would be refreshing to see at some of these venues. We always comment that there is nothing available to eat unless it is fried! From corn dogs to fried twinkles you can't seem to get a good solid home cooked comfort food meal. By time we get home from an event, the first thing you are craving is a salad, vegetables,meat and potatoes! Yes my wife can cook but we are very busy with the racing and frankly tired out after a hard day so venders are handy. I would agree also that it might go over better at rally's, RV shows, special event weekends and other such events. Thats not to say you couldn't arrange a deal with some larger campgrounds either on a flat fee basis or a percentage of sales. As long as a campground doesn't have a restaurant or vending that you would compete with. Planned well, I think your idea could be lucrative, certainly a nice way to keep you on the road.
Old 09-10-2014, 07:23 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you had the room in the trailer, I could also envision a setup where you have a tent and resin style tables and chairs and the customers are served like a sit down restaurant with or without a waiter.